Sign in to follow this  
MattM1121

ORBX and UTX; Which is active?

Greetings,

I spent the last week rebuilding my FSX rig.

<RANT>

Man that simconnect is silly

</RANT>

I have the ORBX PNW/Northern Rockies/CRM installed. I also have UTX USA installed.

How do I know which is active when I'm flying around the ORBX areas? Is there a way to tell FSX that ORBX should take priority?

When I did the install I did ORBX first then UTX.

Thanks for any input,

-Matt

Hi Matt,

when you installed UTX, did you turn the scenery back to 'Default FSX' in the FTX Central application? If so, UTX will be active with the switch set to default. Orbx scenery becomes active when you select 'Northern America'.

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

This brings up a similar question. I use ORBX extensively, but if you fly out of the ORBX area, does UTX then become active? Since UTX is active in the scenery library, it would seem that it would be active.

Bob

You also need to check you scenery.cfg file or your scenery library to ensure that Orbx sceneries are on top (aka higher priority than) UTX. If you looking at your scenery library inside FSX the best place for UTX scenery layers is just above the default set of scenery and unless you have specific airports or local sceneries that overlap Orbx that you want to show, then Orbx should be your top layers.

Ultimate Terrain needs to be at lower display priority than FTX entries because otherwise its general excludes will remove most of the ORBX components.

Basically, the idea is to place global or continental add-ons, like FSG terrain mesh, UTX, large-coverage landclass, etc., just above the default entries of the scenery library, then regional add-ons, like FTX, above that, then local add-ons, like airports and landmarks, near the top like SimAddons, Ozx and Ants. Object library entries can be anywhere assuming they really only contain object library files and no other content like excludes or object placement files.

If you have Ant's and OZx entries they need to be on top of FTX but you can cross-check in the respective manuals.

Tongas Fjords can be either above or below FTX though I generally recommend below because that way Pacific Fjords taks priority in the (small) overlap area. Van+/Vic+ entries should be above FTX but need to have their temp patches in place to avoid "messing with" FTX components.

Cheers

Bryan

This brings up a similar question. I use ORBX extensively, but if you fly out of the ORBX area, does UTX then become active? Since UTX is active in the scenery library, it would seem that it would be active.

Bob

Correct, keep it active but as I note in my other post below FTX. They two scenery merge quite well, as soon as you fly out of Orbx you will be seeing UTX if you have it turned on in you scenery library.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

You also need to check you scenery.cfg file or your scenery library to ensure that Orbx sceneries are on top (aka higher priority than) UTX. If you looking at your scenery library inside FSX the best place for UTX scenery layers is just above the default set of scenery and unless you have specific airports or local sceneries that overlap Orbx that you want to show, then Orbx should be your top layers.

Ultimate Terrain needs to be at lower display priority than FTX entries because otherwise its general excludes will remove most of the ORBX components.

Basically, the idea is to place global or continental add-ons, like FSG terrain mesh, UTX, large-coverage landclass, etc., just above the default entries of the scenery library, then regional add-ons, like FTX, above that, then local add-ons, like airports and landmarks, near the top like SimAddons, Ozx and Ants. Object library entries can be anywhere assuming they really only contain object library files and no other content like excludes or object placement files.

If you have Ant's and OZx entries they need to be on top of FTX but you can cross-check in the respective manuals.

Tongas Fjords can be either above or below FTX though I generally recommend below because that way Pacific Fjords taks priority in the (small) overlap area. Van+/Vic+ entries should be above FTX but need to have their temp patches in place to avoid "messing with" FTX components.

Cheers

Bryan

Correct, keep it active but as I note in my other post below FTX. They two scenery merge quite well, as soon as you fly out of Orbx you will be seeing UTX if you have it turned on in you scenery library.

Yep it is below the FTX.