Sign in to follow this  
woodsonl

Photorealist - Seeking Help

I have completed an attempt at the night scenery.

It is quite different from the default night lighting technique used by others.

The roads serve as my street lights with a process that is fast and simple to do.

Please try my sample and let me know what you think about my results.

The area done is Southern Connecticut KBDR.

The water masking has not been blended yet and a few lakes need to be removed still.

http://www.sim-savvy.com/Downloads/CT_South_Sample.zip

Thanks Larry

Ok How do I upload and post a picture to this forum?

I have to search hard everytime and I can't find it this time.

Found it. Here is a night shot

Thank you for the blending info also.

Just tried your sample. This is very subjective but I personally am not "WoW" ed by it like I was the first time I loaded up MegaScenery at night. The streets are to solid with light - everywhere be it on highways or back roads. And tooooo bright! B) Some of the smaller roads looked better than the major streets. Not sure if that is trees creating a less solid line effect. Be interesting to see that with color correction on the textures as the sample is very blue.

My question is why not apply the same method they did before? Appears they were taking road data and combining it with custom detailed night road textures (one type for major highways and another for smaller roads) which were automatically laid over the photoreal textures. Granted some of the night roads went off course not following the day textures but at night you really did not notice that when flying unless you looked real close. But I thought the concept of this method was very solid.

If you continue experimenting with this method, I would say keep try to create more pools of light representing light poles instead of solid lines of light.

Congrats on getting a gig with MegaScenery. There is so much potential there.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

This is how I do them. Be advised, it isn't very fast.

In Paint Shop Pro, I start with the original image, then create a duplicate and use Illumination with no lights and 96% darkness. Then I lower the visibility of it so I can see the original image. On top of that I create a Brightness/Contrast layer that doesn't do anything, except let me select an area that I can drag around. In this case, I used 100 x 100 pixels. I have a hotkey setup in PSP (ctrl - space) and a saved setting for my light. To place the lights, I generally start with intersections. Drag the floating selection to a location, press ctrl - space and hit the enter key. Then, keep dragging and using the hotkey. The lights come out at a consistent size and with a more realistic spacing.

When it butts up against an FSX default area it looks sort of underwhelming since FSX lights up everything like downtown Las Vegas. But, I think it looks more realistic. In most areas I've seen, actual street lights are roughly 200' apart, with few in residential areas.

Found it. Here is a night shot

Thank you for the blending info also.

Wow, I think that looks pretty good for your first try and almost similar to the MegaScenery stuff. Looks like your on the right track so far. I always admired the way the MegaScenery did the street lighting and though it was the best compared to other competitors work who included night on their photo real but would skip the extra work to do the roads. I must say I am pretty excited about your new work after seeing your first night sample. Keep this up and I will start buying some new areas that MSE never did and hopefully some updates to their current stuff that didn't turn out so well.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The basic process involved, which assumes a familiarity with FS Earth Tiles and an image program such as Photoshop, is...

Thanks for the primer, Petraeus!

As expected, it's not a terribly easy process. Takes a healthy amount of time to draw in the elements needed and flip/flop colors to make the proper files. I did a very small section for testing purposes and it seemed to work well!

I'd love to take on a larger project, but I think it would be very time consuming to properly illustrate a coastline. That being said, I might still give it a shot. Working with the .ini file is one of the bigger challenges, as well as remembering to STAY ORGANIZED with a larger project.

What zoom level in FSEarthTiles have you found to be suitable in creating the base images for your masking? Surely using Lev1 or 0 is unnecessary? Which one has given you appropriate detail for a coastline while still saving some download cycles and letting you work with larger areas?

-Greg

This is a great project. I hope we can get this for current customers. Love the product otherwise.

What zoom level in FSEarthTiles have you found to be suitable in creating the base images for your masking? Surely using Lev1 or 0 is unnecessary? Which one has given you appropriate detail for a coastline while still saving some download cycles and letting you work with larger areas?

Depends on the area. If I'm doing Boston Harbour then I'll do a relatively small area at LOD 1. If it's just coast that I fly over at 35,000 feet, then LOD 4 or even 5. With the latter, the shorelines can be a bit pixellated on close examination, but not at high altitudes.

Petraeus

I love my MegaScenery (except the Miami package which I actually just deleted...) and I was wondering why they weren't releasing anything new.

One thing that always impressed me was their night scenery and I hope you can pull that off again. I have tried and it was a disaster...

Good luck on this new endeavor.

I'm going to move this over to the Scenery Design Forum where it belongs....

Best regards,

Jim

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "MSFS Scenery Design Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.

Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10