Sign in to follow this  
flyingnoob

constant fsx freezes which results in ctd

Guest firehawk44

Well I don't see the 474 error anymore -- at least so far today. I wouldn't worry about the System errors. None look threatening and many of them pop up because you had a crash in an application and the Service Control Manager could not successfully complete its function. But, if you have time after you figure out what's causing the crashes, here's a link to a possible fix for Event 7023 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327649.

You need to go to the following link - http://www.nirsoft.net and download AppCrashView. What this program does is open up every instance of a crash with an application and provides details. I cannot provide any help based just solely on the Event Viewer logs unless you open up the Application event with an error and put that info here.

From the intel I can glean from what you submitted above, it appears Windows Live Messenger is causing all the grief. You have to be very careful with Windows Live Messenger as you could be downloading viruses or malware to run automatically on your computer. I would have to see what the error reports says though.

Best regards,

Jim

Guest firehawk44

Strike that suggestion above about getting AppCrashView. It only works for Vista and above operating systems. XP does not save a WER report.

Best regards,

Jim

Well I don't see the 474 error anymore -- at least so far today. I wouldn't worry about the System errors. None look threatening and many of them pop up because you had a crash in an application and the Service Control Manager could not successfully complete its function. But, if you have time after you figure out what's causing the crashes, here's a link to a possible fix for Event 7023 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327649.

You need to go to the following link - http://www.nirsoft.net and download AppCrashView. What this program does is open up every instance of a crash with an application and provides details. I cannot provide any help based just solely on the Event Viewer logs unless you open up the Application event with an error and put that info here.

From the intel I can glean from what you submitted above, it appears Windows Live Messenger is causing all the grief. You have to be very careful with Windows Live Messenger as you could be downloading viruses or malware to run automatically on your computer. I would have to see what the error reports says though.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,

Next time fsx crashes, if i click on the "what does the error report contain" link to open it up, and post that? would that be any good?

if i open up any of the above reports and post back what it contains any use? if so, which would you like me to open? saying that no events happened at the time of the crash!!

I really need/want to try everything in my power to get this working as i dont/cant wait till january to get flying again.

Ok so if msn maybe/is an issue, does that mean uninstall it completely or just dont log in when im simmin? i have to take into account that this crashing hasnt been happening since i started simming, its just been the last 18 months or so and msn has been in my system from day 1 pretty much - im not disputing what your saying, i just cant get my head around it.

Regards

Paul

I also have been getting freezes and resultant crashes,mainly when using the drop down menus.

The event viewer indicates a file named g3d.dll in the FSX root directory.

I tried to upload the whole file,but it says it is too big.

Any help appreciated.

Ron

Ron Service

Guest firehawk44

I also have been getting freezes and resultant crashes,mainly when using the drop down menus.

The event viewer indicates a file named g3d.dll in the FSX root directory.

I tried to upload the whole file,but it says it is too big.

Any help appreciated.

Ron

The fix for the g3d.dll error is here - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/355100-g3ddll-workaroundfix-to-prevent-fsx-crashes/.

Best regards,

Jim

The fix for the g3d.dll error is here - http://forum.avsim.n...nt-fsx-crashes/.

Best regards,

Jim

Well i reckon i gotta give this a bash also!!!! :rolleyes:

Jim, have you got any idea why i am getting the "screen crash" as posted in the top picture?(post 30)

It does it with ie pages etc etc

Guest firehawk44

Paul,

If you look up in Post 30 and look at the first picture with the FSX crash. Why are there so many mail tabs open (at the bottom of each tab I see 'Mail quest'). You must have 50-60 tabs open. What caused that? Malware? Most likely. It also could be the program Snapper that takes pictures of your desktop? If so, why did so many tabs open up at one time? Maybe the key you use to 'take a picture' is stuck on your keyboard? It certainly is strange and it's taking essential memory resources away from FSX and causing FSX to crash. Within FSX you can take pictures while you are flying by hitting the V key.

Here is my Event Viewer in Windows 7 --

510Event_Viewer.jpg

As you can see I have three columns opened in my Event Viewer. I'm able to open those by clicking one of the boxes on each side of the Question Mark. I can also do it through the View Menu. I'm able to click on the error in the middle column and then look down below all the Application errors and view the details of that error. In the third column, I can click on Copy and select an action to make a copy of the Event. Once a copy is made, I can come back here and paste into a new post. As you can see I get a lot of 'events' too (over 17,000 just in the Application category alone!). In order to find all the FSX errors with the Application category, I loog over in the third column and click on Find... Once open I type in FSX and it will find me the first FSX error, then the second one, etc., etc., as I click on Next. It's the error information in the middle column that I'm looking for. Just seeing you have an Event 1000 Application Error does not tell me anything (or anyone else who may be trying to help you).

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Paul,

If you look up in Post 30 and look at the first picture with the FSX crash. Why are there so many mail tabs open (at the bottom of each tab I see 'Mail quest') ??? i'm not familiar with mail quest. You must have 50-60 tabs open. i can only see msn, 4 ie pages(2 were avsim, 1 was a bsod page and another i cant remember What caused that? Malware? Most likely. It also could be the program Snapper that takes pictures of your desktop? If so, why did so many tabs open up at one time? i've no idea Maybe the key you use to 'take a picture' is stuck on your keyboard? i use prt scrn It certainly is strange and it's taking essential memory resources away from FSX and causing FSX to crash. snapper was only opened once fs crashed, so i could quickly take a pic of the crash Within FSX you can take pictures while you are flying by hitting the V key. I'll bear that in mind thanks

Here is my Event Viewer in Windows 7 --

510Event_Viewer.jpg

As you can see I have three columns opened in my Event Viewer. I'm able to open those by clicking one of the boxes on each side of the Question Mark.My event viewer is totally different to yours, i will post a screenie I can also do it through the View Menu. I'm able to click on the error in the middle column and then look down below all the Application errors and view the details of that error. i can kind of do the same by double clicking the event and that brings up a description with a link to microsfts "help and support" (not that its much use) In the third column, I can click on Copy and select an action to make a copy of the Event. Once a copy is made, I can come back here and paste into a new post. As you can see I get a lot of 'events' too (over 17,000 just in the Application category alone!). In order to find all the FSX errors with the Application category, I loog over in the third column and click on Find... Once open I type in FSX and it will find me the first FSX error, then the second one, etc., etc., as I click on Next. It's the error information in the middle column that I'm looking for. Just seeing you have an Event 1000 Application Error does not tell me anything (or anyone else who may be trying to help you).

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

pic 1 is where my find is, pic 2 is where i would type in the fsx(even though there aren't any for fsx there) pic 3 is what happens when i double click said "event" (greyed out error).

I can click on the link and that takes me to ms's useless "no user action is required rubbish"!!!!

Is it necessary to purchase the payware version of FSUIPC in order to fix this problem?

Ron

Ron Service

Guest firehawk44

Is it necessary to purchase the payware version of FSUIPC in order to fix this problem?

Ron

No. But many did just to say thanks to the developer for finding the fix. The unregistered version works well.

Best regards,

Jim

Guest firehawk44

I can click on the link and that takes me to ms's useless "no user action is required rubbish"!!!!

I agree Paul. Most of the time Microsoft has no fix. Frustrates me too sometimes. But, Google is my friend and I did a Google search for Event 100005 DCOM and here is the fix - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841996. You can type the whole error message in the search box if you want. There are thousands of other people suffering just like you (and me) and they go to these Microsoft and tech websites to post and try to find a fix. In this case, it appears your Help and Support service is disabled in the Services. It's not the cause of your crashes with FSX though. You'll get RED error message a lot of the time and some are easy to fix and some are very difficult and require professional help from a computer store. But, before I did that, I would simply reinstall the OS. It's cheaper as techs are expensive (unless you post in forums like this). The red icon error messages usually indicate a major issue and it should be fixed as soon as possible. However, sometimes, a Windows update will fix it too.

In your post #38 above, the second picture indicates you can customize. I would look there to see what you can customize. I haven't used XP since 2006 so a little unfamiliar with it. But double clicking the error or right clicking it and selecting Properties will open it up and you'll see more details of the error. It's just more convenient to have everything right in front of you on your desktop.

Remember that Google is your friend (well Bing too (bing.com)). When FSX crashes, I look at the Event in the Event Viewer and look for the faulting module. That gives me a major clue as to what caused the crash. I can then Google the faulting module and indicate it's a FSX crash. For instance the faulting module is g3d.dll. In the Google search box I would enter: g3d.dll fsx crash and hit return. Google will come up with all types of discussions on that crash from all over the flight sim community and not just here (although this is by far the best...).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

I agree Paul. Most of the time Microsoft has no fix. Frustrates me too sometimes. But, Google is my friend and I did a Google search for Event 100005 DCOM and here is the fix - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841996. You can type the whole error message in the search box if you want. There are thousands of other people suffering just like you (and me) and they go to these Microsoft and tech websites to post and try to find a fix. In this case, it appears your Help and Support service is disabled in the Services. we have another problem here then, having just checked, it says "startup type - Automatic" which according to the link you gave me under resolution it should be on automatic It's not the cause of your crashes with FSX though. You'll get RED error message a lot of the time and some are easy to fix and some are very difficult and require professional help from a computer store. But, before I did that, I would simply reinstall the OS. I've resigned to the fact i am going to have to do this, my options are either just buy a new hard drive, along with w7 retail, as i cant wait till this numpty of a "techy" gives me my xp disc back, or buy a new psu, It's cheaper as techs are expensive (unless you post in forums like this). The red icon error messages usually indicate a major issue and it should be fixed as soon as possible. However, sometimes, a Windows update will fix it too.

In your post #38 above, the second picture indicates you can customize. I would look there to see what you can customize. its gave me an added box just like yours, so yh now i have 3, and will keep an eye on that from now, i sometimes am scared to click here there and everywhere, when i dont have the cajones to live with my mistake. I haven't used XP since 2006 so a little unfamiliar with it. But double clicking the error or right clicking it and selecting Properties will open it up and you'll see more details of the error. It's just more convenient to have everything right in front of you on your desktop.

Remember that Google is your friend (well Bing too (bing.com)). When FSX crashes, I look at the Event in the Event Viewer and look for the faulting module. That gives me a major clue as to what caused the crash. I can then Google the faulting module and indicate it's a FSX crash. For instance the faulting module is g3d.dll. In the Google search box I would enter: g3d.dll fsx crash and hit return. Google will come up with all types of discussions on that crash from all over the flight sim community and not just here (although this is by far the best...). when i google things, i get (maybe just unlucky i guess) pages upon pages of usefull(ahem useless) info that does not do my brain any good (epilepsy and easily confused), i will read 2 links and think "sod this its easier to ask" as it MAY be explained in an easier way, one major fault of mine - even though i am cheeky enough to have the "let me google that for you" shortcut on my desktop!!!!

:lol: <_<

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

I'l buy fsuipc if it helps me - hell i'll even buy it twice!! :lol:

Cheers again jim, your a star!

Regards

Paul

EDIT:

Having just been thinking, maybe my best bet at the moment is to buy a new o/s (it would be windows 7 retail as there are debates whether it is tied to the mobo or not) and a small ssd for it, and both i can take to my new system in january and at that point do a simple format and reinstall w7(except i dont know which ssd's i should be looking at - is it sata 1, sata 11 or sata 111 - (taking into account the mobo im on and the mobo im going to get(a z77 or the likes) at the moment i have a 250gb hard drive, and still only use 20 out of the 250, so a 32gb ssd would be more than adequate.

Sooo if thats the case, which one do i buy(i'm not meanin the make) is it 1.8",2.5" or 3.5" i know its internal i want, and whats "m"sata?

Regards

Guest firehawk44
<br />Having just been thinking, maybe my best bet at the moment is to buy a new o/s (it would be windows 7 retail as there are debates whether it is tied to the mobo or not) and a small ssd for it, and both i can take to my new system in january and at that point do a simple format and reinstall w7(except i dont know which ssd's i should be looking at - is it sata 1, sata 11 or sata 111 - (taking into account the mobo im on and the mobo im going to get(a z77 or the likes) at the moment i have a 250gb hard drive, and still only use 20 out of the 250, so a 32gb ssd would be more than adequate. <br />

In the Hardware Forum here there are a lot of discussions regarding SSD's. I have one in my system, a 256GB SSD. An SSD is just an SSD. Your mechanical HDD's are SATA drives. Intel has some excellent SSD's and that's the brand I would be purchasing if I was in the market of buying again. My Crucial SSD is great though and so far has not given me any problems. A 32GB SSD would be sufficient for your Windows 7 OS and FSX but you would have to install FSX addon's to your mechanical HDD and any other software you purchase. Just remember, some FSX addon developers make it difficult to install their products on another HDD. The excellent scenery from FTX/Orbx and Ultimate Terrain X are two examples. I think there are some ways to move the scenery to another HDD but you have to first install it on your SSD. Don't quote me on all of this as I have never tried it. I have everything except photoscenery and some other FSX addons on my mechanical HDD. FSX on my SSD takes up 78GB's and a total of 191GB's on the SSD (including Windows 7 and other software). On a 32GB SSD you should leave at least 10% of the space empty so you won't accidently run out of space. If you can afford it I would get a 60GB SSD but again, there are discussions about this in the Hardware Forum here at AVSIM. I'm really happy to hear you are considering buying a new system. A Z77 board is the latest but Sandy Bridge CPU's and the P68 boards they released with Sandy Bridge would be adequate and cheaper.

Best regards,

Jim

In the Hardware Forum here there are a lot of discussions regarding SSD's. I have one in my system, a 256GB SSD. An SSD is just an SSD. Your mechanical HDD's are SATA drives. Intel has some excellent SSD's and that's the brand I would be purchasing if I was in the market of buying again. My Crucial SSD is great though and so far has not given me any problems. A 32GB SSD would be sufficient for your Windows 7 OS and FSX but you would have to install FSX addon's to your mechanical HDD and any other software you purchase. Just remember, some FSX addon developers make it difficult to install their products on another HDD. The excellent scenery from FTX/Orbx and Ultimate Terrain X are two examples. I think there are some ways to move the scenery to another HDD but you have to first install it on your SSD. Don't quote me on all of this as I have never tried it. I have everything except photoscenery and some other FSX addons on my mechanical HDD. FSX on my SSD takes up 78GB's and a total of 191GB's on the SSD (including Windows 7 and other software). On a 32GB SSD you should leave at least 10% of the space empty so you won't accidently run out of space. If you can afford it I would get a 60GB SSD but again, there are discussions about this in the Hardware Forum here at AVSIM. I'm really happy to hear you are considering buying a new system. A Z77 board is the latest but Sandy Bridge CPU's and the P68 boards they released with Sandy Bridge would be adequate and cheaper.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi Jim,

what im meaning is - if a new board takes sata 2/3, and mine is sata 1 does that mean they are incompatible? i have no idea how to check.

My new current plan is - buying windows 7, and a 32gb ssd, the 32 gb ssd is more than adequate for my o/s, fsx and scenery, so yh i would install all that on it, and when the time came (in january) i would format the ssd, put my o/s on it and put fsx on the other ssd(probably a 128gb or whatever(irrelavent at the moment)), so in short, yh the ssd i am looking at would just be for my o/s come january.

Im still in two minds whether i wanna go sb/ib, so fortunately i have time on my side, i just need to know if i can get an ssd that will do my current system AND my new rig, as i dont know all this sata1/2/3 stuff.

As said, all my fsx stuff and o/s doesn't even come to 20gb (correction 58.0gb) so now i would be lookin at a 64gb ssd, which is fine, its just the compatibility issues i need to know, (sorry if im going round n round here, im trying to type fast while im putting backing paper up(have to keep the wife sweet by decorating).

Hope this clears it up a little.

i was looking at a z77 because on overclockers.net(i think) there were posts about stability with high overclocks and ram, with certain bios's or somethin along those lines - i can think about the other hardware again - at the time.

I have come to the conclusion my o/s is completely shot( the cmd prompt wont allow me to do the chkdskf/r, - when i type in y and reboot to allow the error checkin to commence it doesnt start although i can manually do it via c/tools and error checking), - i know its not much of an issue doing it that way, but clearly something aint right, and thats just one example.

Sorry for more yet (possibly useless) long winded dribble i generally talk :lol:

it may seem as if im confused - maybe thats because i am!!! and i hope you can get your head round what im trying to say.

Regards

Paul

In the Hardware Forum here there are a lot of discussions regarding SSD's. I have one in my system, a 256GB SSD. An SSD is just an SSD. Your mechanical HDD's are SATA drives.I take that as being ssd's are not sata Intel has some excellent SSD's and that's the brand I would be purchasing if I was in the market of buying again.It would need to be at least the 80GB, and thats a little too dear for to buy just now. My Crucial SSD is great though and so far has not given me any problems. A 32GB SSD would be sufficient for your Windows 7 OS and FSX but you would have to install FSX addon's to your mechanical HDD and any other software you purchase. Just remember, some FSX addon developers make it difficult to install their products on another HDD. The excellent scenery from FTX/Orbx and Ultimate Terrain X are two examples. I think there are some ways to move the scenery to another HDD but you have to first install it on your SSD. Don't quote me on all of this as I have never tried it. I have everything except photoscenery and some other FSX addons on my mechanical HDD. FSX on my SSD takes up 78GB's and a total of 191GB's on the SSD (including Windows 7 and other software). On a 32GB SSD you should leave at least 10% of the space empty so you won't accidently run out of space. If you can afford it I would get a 60GB SSD but again, there are discussions about this in the Hardware Forum here at AVSIM. I'm really happy to hear you are considering buying a new system. A Z77 board is the latest but Sandy Bridge CPU's and the P68 boards they released with Sandy Bridge would be adequate and cheaper.

Best regards,

Jim

Right i did some googling:

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=FFD14C42A5CA7304

on the left it says SATA 2 - 3Gb/s which tells me its sata 2, yet i just got the impression sata was for hdd's?, it also says that the mobo does 3Gb/s, and the ssd (on the right of the page) does 6-Gb/s, so when i upgrade my mobo will it automatically go to 6Gb/s?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crucial-Technology-128GB-m4-SATA-6Gb-s-2-5-SSD-Internal-Solid-State-Drive-New-/221089251373?pt=UK_Computing_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item3379f2402d

On this link for the ssd, it says SATA 3, now im confused (no surprise).

Where on the mobo does the ssd get plugged in? - im assuming into one of my sata ports the same as where my hdd and dvdrw goes? which also tells me its sata.

Im sorry if you may think "#####" but its only obvious to the people that know how it all works, when one doesnt know much - google doesnt really help as this is where "google" has got me stumped yet again. :lol:

I see on scan.co.uk the intel 60GB is 75 quid, and the 120GB is ony 5 quid dearer,

I think i would probably go for the kingston hyperx as 120GB is only 65 plus delivery, but thats sata 3 and that top link says SATA 2.

Mods seeing as this is now going well off track, would you like me to start a new thread?

Regards

Paul