Sign in to follow this  
Bobu

My ATI Results and Observations

There's many factors you've decided to throw out of the comparison. For that reason, your question has no basis because you've essentially "thrown" the comparison in your AMD card's favor. Don't dilute the tried and true methods of seasoned FSX "gurus" on a helpful forum. Try to get the field level when comparing.

I'll put it another way: Would you compare an Nvidia and AMD card by running Batman with extreme settings on the Nvidia and lowest on the AMD? No? Then why do the same maneuver with FSX?

Dude, we're not curious because your thread starts off by saying "I'm not comparing apples to apples". If this is a troll, I applaud it's dramatic and over the top presentation.

We are just not communicating. You are saying that I need to run exactly the same settings on an nVidia and ATI card, or the tests aren't valid. What I am saying is I am able to get FSX running great without needing to crank up the AA. Why? Maybe the resolution I am running. Maybe one of the tweaks I did. Maybe the latest CCC version. I have no idea. But the videos show the results I get.

Do you like the results in 720p as viewed from YouTube's site? If you DON'T, can you make a video showing me what I am missing? If you DO like it, and you feel it is comparable to what you have, then we need to investigate HOW I am getting these fps.

Lemme say something on that: some people are completely satisfied with running 8xS or 8xSQ and maybe only transparency supersampling, some need SGSS 2x, and there are also some who want 4x SGSS.

Keep in mind that what YOU see is not what others see.

You are talking about the settings as if they are absolute: what is enough for you is enough for everyone. Not right.

That is a great point! And that is EXACTLY why I asked Ben (unsuccessfully 3 times) to post a video. I'd like to see the difference. I just think we need to understand what it is about my setup that makes jaggies a non factor in FSX. I am thinking it might be higher resolution, but nobody seems to want to respond to that issue.

The point is to show that for some strange reason I am getting great FPS with excellent settings using an older ATI card.

First, we would need to set comparative settings on the Nvidia card and measure then. While Nvidia would probably have some advantage, but probably not much.

And why don't you load my cloudtest and report the FPS?

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

Just to add on to that, he was using 4X MSAA with a pass of supersampling. - ( :bad: )

If I did this on my card, I would probably be getting around 50FPS in the cloud test LOL!

Try to be a bit more mature, Ben. You are staff, right?

As far as your 50fps comment goes, would you like the way it looks with that test? I doubt it. But I do. And I hate jaggies. Get it?

With my ex 7950 my aa settings was identical, 4 msaa with super sampling on. Fsx also was almost the same except for dx9, lens flare, and my traffic 5.4 pro at 40%. I respect Word Not Allowed and i know that he knows are he was doing, so, if we have a very very good bench from Word Not Allowed, go and test it. I had a asus gtx 560 ti, sold it and bought the 7950, it was a terrible mistake because it cannot compete with nvidia in COMPARABLE(this is the word) settings, and im not saying this because im a a a really excited user oh my.. I really wanted to try an amd card KNOWING that amd cannot compete with nvidia, but i didn't know that the difference is really huge with the same settings.

Tapatalk2, Samsung Galaxy Note.

7800X3D / 7900XTX / ROG STRIX B650-A / Corsair Vengeance 32GB 6000mhz, etc etc.

I see Srdan is finally getting somewhere. Good luck, OP! (I said it was AA settings six times) -_- Maybe you can sell one of those cards for some cash when you make your decision.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

First, we would need to set comparative settings on the Nvidia card and measure then. While Nvidia would probably have some advantage, but probably not much.

And why don't you load my cloudtest and report the FPS?

I did the GPUMark cloud test? Was that the one you are referring to? And as far as comparative settings go, I am sure that if I loaded my system down with heavy AA settings it would perform poorly. I am not saying a 5850 is better. What I am saying is for some reason I am able to get away with much lower AA settings. Could be the resolution. Not sure. But thanks for the mature response to this. Appreciated.

I see Srdan is finally getting somewhere. Good luck, OP! (I said it was AA settings six times) -_- Maybe you can sell one of those cards for some cash when you make your decision.

I am very glad he is taking on this too. One of the reasons is that I told you six times that AA was a non issue, because I am seeing excellent results with what I have.

And as far as comparative settings go, I am sure that if I loaded my system down with heavy AA settings it would perform poorly. I am not saying a 5850 is better.

Then what was the purpose of this thread?! You literally are going in circles.

I give up with you, Ben. Sorry. lol

I'd like to see the difference

You will never really see a difference via youtube videos. Just not possible visually.

But - do you have Aerosoft LFMN, PMDG 747 or NGX?

The best visual check of the shimmering are taxiway lines viewed when landing, on various airports, LFMN being one of the worst.

PMDG 747 long lines on the external model will also look weird if not enough supersampling applied.

NGX cockpit will shimmer badly when viewed from the behind the seat, from the back of the cabin if not enough supersampling applied.

What you are using, multisampling + 1 pass of SS, not sparse grid, is just really bad bad when viewed on my screen.

Add to that that people are reporting ATI cards as worse than Nvidia for such a long time... I don't understand what you are trying to achieve here...

The only way to compare online would be static shots of specific places in high resolution then zoomed in.

I have no time currently to go into that - have quite a lot other more important things to take care of, sorry.

Tell me in what to rename the thread to make it more friendly, and that's it for me. I'll just keep one eye here, so - behave. :)

Only because the way some are answering him... go back and read the initial post.

Then you are doing something wrong. Be aware that 4x AA in your CCC is NOT the same as 4x SGSS on the Nvidia card, not by difference in quality or performance.

Lemme put 4x MSAA on the FSX and I'll get 100FPS in ORBX land. 200FPS everywhere else. (of course I am exaggerating here, but you get the idea)

Where do I get your cloud test from?

Try to be a bit more mature, Ben. You are staff, right?

He is a part of the staff, but not a moderator.

You will never really see a difference via youtube videos. Just not possible visually.

My thinking exactly too Srdan....

but Rob.. I can post a few if you want to see a GTX 580 with 4yr old cpus

I did the GPUMark cloud test? Was that the one you are referring to?

No. Referring to my static cloudtest in my guide.

But - do you have Aerosoft LFMN, PMDG 747 or NGX?

The best visual check of the shimmering are taxiway lines viewed when landing, on various airports, LFMN being one of the worst.

PMDG 747 long lines on the external model will also look weird if not enough supersampling applied.

NGX cockpit will shimmer badly when viewed from the behind the seat, from the back of the cabin if not enough supersampling applied.

What you are using, multisampling + 1 pass of SS, not sparse grid, is just really bad bad when viewed on my screen.

Add to that that people are reporting ATI cards as worse than Nvidia for such a long time... I don't understand what you are trying to achieve here...

The only way to compare online would be static shots of specific places in high resolution then zoomed in.

I have no time currently to go into that - have quite a lot other more important things to take care of, sorry.

Tell me in what to rename the thread to make it more friendly, and that's it for me. I'll just keep one eye here, so - behave. :)

I don't have any of those planes, but let me look at the landing approach to see if I can pick anything out. It could be that I am missing some jaggies somewhere. I will definitely try to behave!

Name the thread "My ATI Results and Observations" or anything elsee you like. Thanks again for chiming in.