Sign in to follow this  
Bobu

My ATI Results and Observations

for some reason I am able to get away with much lower AA settings

The reason is simple: you are simply satisfied with what you are seeing. But believe me, many would not be. Including me. I'm 100% sure.

No. Referring to my static cloudtest in my guide.

Okay let me check that out. Thanks!

The reason is simple: you are simply satisfied with what you are seeing. But believe me, many would not be. Including me. I'm 100% sure.

Do you think running FSX 1920x1200 has anything to do with eliminating jaggies?

My thinking exactly too Srdan....

but Rob.. I can post a few if you want to see a GTX 580 with 4yr old cpus

Go for it!

:LMAO:

probably include me too

FSX eye candy is like crack... to me anyway... the more i have the more i want.

Do you think running FSX 1920x1200 has anything to do with eliminating jaggies?

I don't think that jaggies have anything to do with resolution. Some think it does. Resolution helps in shaper picture, but if a line is jagged, it's gonna be jagged no matter how big the screen dot is.

Post a shot of open cloudtest in external view (just like described in the guide) and post a FULL resolution shot here. I'll check something for you.

Only because the way some are answering him... go back and read the initial post.

Thanks. I really wasn't trying to start a heated debate.

Go for it!

Ok... Recorded on a pair of QX9775s 3.6GHz Seaburg chipset/ 8gb ram / EVGA GTX 580 w/ 8xSQ / Win XP x64

Make sure to select highest setting (720p or 1080p)

MS FLIGHT PHTO ILSRWY26 Heavy Fog

FSX DHC-2 Beaver from Vines (I98D) to Dewey Moore (I99D)

(To listen to a nice track while watching, click on

I don't think that jaggies have anything to do with resolution. Some think it does. Resolution helps in shaper picture, but if a line is jagged, it's gonna be jagged no matter how big the screen dot is.

Post a shot of open cloudtest in external view (just like described in the guide) and post a FULL resolution shot here. I'll check something for you.

I came across this...

Antialiasing is a technique used in digital imaging to reduce the visual defects that occur when high-resolution images are presented in a lower resolution. Aliasing manifests itself as jagged or stair-stepped lines (otherwise known as jaggies) on edges and objects that should otherwise be smooth. Antialiasing makes these curved or slanting lines smooth again by adding a slight discoloration to the edges of the line or object, causing the jagged edges to blur and melt together. If the image is zoomed out a bit, the human eye can no longer notice the slight discoloration that antialiasing creates.

Antialiasing is occasionally known as oversampling.

This might support what I am saying. Because I am running FSX at a higher resolution, I don't need the same level of AA as users running 1080. And this difference lets me get better performance.

It didn't seem like it... so gave you the benefit of any doubt...

I am running at 2560x1440 and still have jagged lines if not enough AA. The point being?

The higher resolution, the easier for jaggies to appear too. They are finer, but there are more of them.

The need for 2x SGSS didn't change when going from 1920x1200 to 2560x1440.

I think I was more offended in how you retorted to my initial confusion. At any rate, I apologize for adding to that confusion. I think I had made up my mind at that point. My mistake.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

FSX DHC-2 Beaver from Vines (I98D) to Dewey Moore (I99D)

(To listen to a nice track while watching, click on Into the Wild by LP

In this video I clearly see shimmering on top of the trees as you take off.

Those are nice videos, but I don't see any real difference between them and what I see. Honestly, I think the key is the resolution I am running. The higher resolution you go, the less AA you need to eliminate jaggies. And on my system I am getting away with very little AA.

This is very important information, and something anyone considering purchasing a new display for FSX should know. I imagine the issue isn't the 5850 at all, but just the resolution itself. It would be nice to confirm this from someone running 1920x1200 or higher resolution with an nVidia card.

I think I was more offended in how you retorted to my initial confusion. At any rate, I apologize for adding to that confusion. I think I had made up my mind at that point. My mistake.

No worries Zach. I am sure I didn't handle it well either. I am sorry too.

If it looks good to you, that is the the most important thing! Remember, next user will read this, might set the same settings, get the exact same picture and have an opinion it's simply not enough!

Are you the shimmer king or what? lol

I am running at 2560x1440 and still have jagged lines if not enough AA. The point being?

The higher resolution, the easier for jaggies to appear too. They are finer, but there are more of them.

The need for 2x SGSS didn't change when going from 1920x1200 to 2560x1440.

I am going to do some more tests. I will look at your guide.

I just took a second look. I saw a slight shimmer, but honestly I could have mistaken it for wind blowing the trees. I didn't see anything else.

Don't patronize me. I spent enough on this subject that I would like to have had.

Man, come on - just enjoy your sim if it's running good.