Sign in to follow this  
Bobu

My ATI Results and Observations

In this video I clearly see shimmering on top of the trees as you take off.

Would you tell me the secs please? I can't see it... never really paid much attention to the terrain before at that point except trying not to hit it (or just watching mostly the cockpit on replay).

but I don't see any real difference between them and what I see.

I think this was Srdan's point...

Would you tell me the secs please? I can't see it...

Just observe the tree tops while he is taking off. It's hard to notice in a video anyway...

Okay ran the cloud test. FPS between 15 and 22. 17 was pretty typical.

8ba18850.jpg

Do you have a video of your system running the dx10 shader fix

Not video, but i have plenty of screenshots...check them out on that forum

Okay ran the cloud test. FPS between 15 and 22. 17 was pretty typical.

Thanks. And I asked you to post a full resolution picture. This is not it. Best would be JPEG with the best quality.

Thanks. And I asked you to post a full resolution picture. This is not it. Best would be JPEG with the best quality.

I uploaded it to photobucket (it was original resolution before that). Let me see if I can do it again.

Another try...

b20d0f60.jpg

Why don't you upload here to the forum? Full resolution, best quality.

Why don't you upload here to the forum? Full resolution, best quality.

Sorry, I didn't see that option. I looked for a post on it here and the tutorial started with uploading the picture to photobucket. How do I do that? I clicked the Image icon, but it only shows a URL.

Go to more reply options. Or on top: reply to this topic.

I'm in the reinstall process now, I'll respond tomorrow or so. Thanks for posting it.

There are a lot of posts here (and on other FSX sites) claiming that nVidia is a far better graphic card for FSX than similar ATI/AMD offerings. Seeing as I play other sims/games as well, it isn't exactly practical to change to nVidia just for FSX (and doing so could hurt other sims/games I play). So I basically assumed that I had a second-class experience with FSX, due to my graphics card. This perception changed once I saw the benchmarks people were posting here using top-of-the-line nVidia cards.

Rob, as I've seen in later post you base this innitial post on your FPS in the GPUmark benchmar and you think you get good results in it. But you aren't. You dont get a valid result at all. GPUmark is to test how well a GPU handles 4xSGSS in cloud. The ATI cards can't do SGSS so whatever FPS you get is irrelevant.

3. I am not comparing apples to apples

You're spot on there!

And no, a you-tube video won't nessessary show the difference.

I can see a valid point in your innitial post

Seeing as I play other sims/games as well, it isn't exactly practical to change to nVidia just for FSX (and doing so could hurt other sims/games I play).

There are people who are enjoying FSX but it's far from the title they play the most and hence rather not have a nVidia GPU in it. How should they setup FSX and CCC to get the best experience in FSX with their ATI card?

I am asking for clarification on why my older ATI/AMD system is performing as well (or even better) than high-end nVidia based-systems in FSX.

Because you are comparing apples to oranges. Simple as that.

I'm in the reinstall process now, I'll respond tomorrow or so. Thanks for posting it.

Okay no problem. Thanks for the help.

Rob, as I've seen in later post you base this innitial post on your FPS in the GPUmark benchmar and you think you get good results in it. But you aren't. You dont get a valid result at all. GPUmark is to test how well a GPU handles 4xSGSS in cloud. The ATI cards can't do SGSS so whatever FPS you get is irrelevant.

You're spot on there!

And no, a you-tube video won't nessessary show the difference.

I can see a valid point in your innitial post

There are people who are enjoying FSX but it's far from the title they play the most and hence rather not have a nVidia GPU in it. How should they setup FSX and CCC to get the best experience in FSX with their ATI card?

Because you are comparing apples to oranges. Simple as that.

I think the problem is that people are assuming that they would see what I see with the AA set as I do. And that is not the case. Put another way, if I were to tell you that on my system I can get a jaggie and tear free experience with no AA at all, then the discussion and comparison of AA settings would be irrelevant. So tell me this. Why do you have your AA set on what it is set on? Is there some other benefit other than making your display jaggie free, with no dancing lines? If there is, I would really like to know what it is. If not, then I don't need the AA levels you are running to achieve that.

My suspicion is that it has something to do with the high resolution I am running. In any case, I think my tests are valid. I have practically jaggie free settings and I get great fps. How is that not valid? Put another way, maybe nVidia cards need to run such exotic AA levels to deal with jaggies, and maybe ATI cards don't need it. I'd bet if you ran your system at the same settings I do, your display would look terrible. Mine doesn't. That says something.

OK, this is becoming tiring and without meaning (running around in circles...). Locking this for a while. Get to some flying and get some rest until I post something for you. I'll unlock it then and then we'll discuss it. Do not open other topics on this matter.