Sign in to follow this  
DreadMetis

Curtiss C-46 Commando available in Flight

Just to make things clear, the C-46 is not my work. I didnt model ANYTHING that didnt have a cockpit. This no-cockpit BS wasent even known to me when I worked on Flight and happened after I left. Its a good thing it happened after, as I would not of put up with it. I would of made sure everything had at LEAST a very basic cockpit with a 6 pack MINIMUM. Then again it would not of been my choice and im sure I would of been fired soon. ;)

Oops humble apologies.

I would suggest that there is somewhere a real copy of a setting, so that people could use a model, like this (obviously mine, but I'm sure there are better settings, and it may vary from one VCless plane to another so you have to find a "middle position" that suits all your VCless planes...) :

[CameraDefinition.013]

Title = $Screenshot View

Description = My personnal camera setting for those cockpitless warbirds.

Origin = Cockpit

MomentumEffect = Yes

SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = Swivel

PanPbhReturn = False

Track = None

ShowAxis = Yes

AllowZoom = TRUE

InitialZoom = 0.8

InitialXyz= 0, 0.2, -0.3

SmoothZoomTime = 2.0

ZoomPanScalar = 1.0

ShowWeather = Yes

XyzAdjust = TRUE

ShowLensFlare=TRUE

Category = Cockpit

PitchPanRate=30

HeadingPanRate=65

PanAcceleratorTime= 3.0

ClipMode = Spot

UseSimVelocity = TRUE

CycleHidden=No

XYZRate=0.75

So I was flying the C-46 yesterday and had a question or two.

Whenever I turn, it seems like it does not roll quick enough. It seems even making minor corrections in this thing you have to use the rudder only because if you turn using yoke or joystick, when you turn back it is very slow and if you do not do it just right it will cause you to veer off to one side. I hope I am making sense.

I know it is a big aircraft and if the mechanics of it is true, then I am A-OK with it and will learn it. It just seems that when you bank left or right, it is very very VERY heavy and you can barely even turn.

So is this the way it is supposed to perform?

So I was flying the C-46 yesterday and had a question or two.

Whenever I turn, it seems like it does not roll quick enough. It seems even making minor corrections in this thing you have to use the rudder only because if you turn using yoke or joystick, when you turn back it is very slow and if you do not do it just right it will cause you to veer off to one side. I hope I am making sense.

I know it is a big aircraft and if the mechanics of it is true, then I am A-OK with it and will learn it. It just seems that when you bank left or right, it is very very VERY heavy and you can barely even turn.

So is this the way it is supposed to perform?

Oh yes it is!!!! I'm jealous....

We do not have that much adverse yaw in X-Plane10 :-(

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

😍

Oh yes it is!!!! I'm jealous....

We do not have that much adverse yaw in X-Plane10 :-(

Lol, Your enthusiasm in XPLANE really makes me want to purchase it. Did you have to buy any scenery packs or is it good as-is?

Also, I am really big into GA airplanes, is there a lot of choices in General Aviation?

After that question, this thread shall go back on topic. :P

Lol, Your enthusiasm in XPLANE really makes me want to purchase it. Did you have to buy any scenery packs or is it good as-is?

Also, I am really big into GA airplanes, is there a lot of choices in General Aviation?

After that question, this thread shall go back on topic.

Using just the plain vanilla scenery plus OSM2XP converted scenery areas for various parts of the World :-) Default is already good, but I am not really picky about scenery....

Emailing almost daily to poor Austin asking for bug corrections, new features, etc.... Austin will try to re-ignite FLIGHT just to get rid of me :-)

Well, he always answers and is very helpful, just as the 3pd I've talked to :-)

And I do not avoid at all saying what I still think - X-plane10 is good, just as others find FSX or Prepar3d good too, but for me, FLIGHT raised the level of quality way above the competition! FLIGHT is stil FLIGHT for me, even if I had to uninstall it due to lack of space and no money to invest on a further disk ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

😍

It's going to go back on topic now. Jcomm - Enough about XPlane. There is already a forum for that.

Thanks.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I would suggest enabling the Screenshot View camera and adjusting it to your desired "fake cockpit view" position.

That's the ticket! Other methods are all very appreciated...but I think with this way I can create a "default" position inside the pseudo cockpit.

That being said, I haven't bought the plane yet. I love the other planes, especially the Cub.

Does anyone have any input on the C-46 and how it flies? Is this a fun plane? Should i buy it? I have no brain and cannot think for myself. Just ask the wife...she'd probably say "OH COME ON IT'S 7$, JUST BUY IT"

But she doesn't fly these things and therefore has no say.

Does anyone have any input on the C-46 and how it flies?

The C46, as far as I can see, is fairly close to RW characteristics.... a little more sluggish in response than a DC3. I have never flown either one in the RW but have ridden in both.

Lol 188AHC - That was my bad. I was the one who asked JCOMM about that. Just had 1 question and that was that. No need to yell at him.

Also, having this twin is awesome. Very clunky and I doubt I will fly it that much. I wish some of the Cargo missions allowed you to carry more than what you can in the Maule (but I dont think they activated that, am I right?)

Anyways, More power to FLIGHT. I love it and will always until something of similar or better quality releases. I think I may finally buy the F4U - well I will wait for the next Steam Winter Sale, then I will.

The C-46 is fun to fly, but very demending, it will keep you on your toes and that is a good thing.

Lol 188AHC - That was my bad. I was the one who asked JCOMM about that. Just had 1 question and that was that. No need to yell at him.

Also, having this twin is awesome. Very clunky and I doubt I will fly it that much. I wish some of the Cargo missions allowed you to carry more than what you can in the Maule (but I dont think they activated that, am I right?)

Anyways, More power to FLIGHT. I love it and will always until something of similar or better quality releases. I think I may finally buy the F4U - well I will wait for the next Steam Winter Sale, then I will.

You have been a bad boy. No dessert for you tonight. :lol: BTW, not yelling, emphasizing.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

So, about the C-46 : I think even without cockpit, as it IS something else compared to all the other birds in Flight, it is a good investment if the change is not too rare for you.

It is, as said above, a very demanding plane if you are just jumping out of an Icon A-5... It's heavy, slow to response on yaw and very effective if you are doing things in the right order.

First thing with it I had to find the stall speed, and the bully can fly quite slow (>74kts stabilized) for its sheer size, the stall is hard and frank so beware not to drop it !

When you start getting used to flying it slow, you'll understand the beast better. It is a fun and interesting plane, very nice modelled, but I have very rarely used other models of C-46 in other simulation games, so I hope for some feedback from people having more C-46 in other softwares (or even IRL would be better !).

I don't like VC less birds as I feel they are incomplete, but this one is an okay good adult toy, I don't regret the spent.

I have a small problem. Almost everytime I try a job with the C-46, the plane crashes after it loads. If if make it a little lighter, the plane does not crash right after it loads. Do I have to load it so that I have just enough fuel to make it to my destination?