Sign in to follow this  
DreadMetis

Curtiss C-46 Commando available in Flight

Should not have to. I did a 60mile job soon after I bought it , with almost full tanks. Just gave it full flaps and throttle and it took off quite easily. I have noticed that it helps if, soon after takeoff, you `clean up' the old bird by raising flaps and gears .And you have to be careful not to climb too steeply or it will stall. Once I am in the air I level out until it has gained a bit more speed.

You`ll soon get the hang of it.

oh ok... but I also found out that the ailerons are slower to respond than the elevators. When I pull back hard on the elevators, the plane acts like an Extra 300S, but when I turn, the plane acts like the ailerons are jammed.

I would suggest that there is somewhere a real copy of a setting, so that people could use a model, like this (obviously mine, but I'm sure there are better settings, and it may vary from one VCless plane to another so you have to find a "middle position" that suits all your VCless planes...) :

wonderful...I used your settings within the screenshot category of the CFG file....one question however

my pseudo cockpit is clipped, things too close to the camera are gone. do you know if there is a setting to control this?

I'm struggling to get this bird above 120kts. I've retracted gear, left flaps level, emptied tank to 10% with no cargo. What else do I need to do? Must I fly very high to obtain more speed? I as hoping to out perform the Maul.

wonderful...I used your settings within the screenshot category of the CFG file....one question however

my pseudo cockpit is clipped, things too close to the camera are gone. do you know if there is a setting to control this?

I'm sorry, maybe I should post a setting that suits more the C-46 faux cockpit. I tried thiese values yesterday, maybe a bit too close still :

InitialXyz= 0, 0.2, -0.4

Today I'll try it with 0. 0.15, -0.6, specific for the Commando whale.

I know it's boring to have something that will work with only one plane, but not everybody uses all the VC-less planes in one row I hope :ph34r:. That means only to change these values BEFORE you start the sim, not so much harassment :lol:

I'm struggling to get this bird above 120kts. I've retracted gear, left flaps level, emptied tank to 10% with no cargo. What else do I need to do? Must I fly very high to obtain more speed? I as hoping to out perform the Maul.

I don't see how you could not pass 150kts with it, full power, no flaps, good trimming and voilà I fly 170kts @3000ft levelled before you realize it !

Maybe another "mixture" bug ? I'm using auto-mixture (no quadrant)

To get people to know about the plane ingame, here is a video of the real world plane that got us the civilian livery :rolleyes:

About the military one I didn't checked extendly, but this video shows how SLOW this whale is turning airborne !

Those videos makes me realize how good is sound rendition in the game...

I find best power is at edit: 80% prop RPM. It certainly accounts for some mph. How much I don't know because I haven't gotten the fat bird exactly trimmed out and once it has caught some speed it does not lose it immediately.

I can't determine the exact number from my rotary knob though. I mostly do this by sound, and just as with the Maule and RV6 the engine must sound like it's happily chugging along. It does not sound like a revving lawnmower anymore but does not sound like it's having trouble staying awake either. Well, that was helpful! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, maybe I should post a setting that suits more the C-46 faux cockpit. I tried thiese values yesterday, maybe a bit too close still :

InitialXyz= 0, 0.2, -0.4

Today I'll try it with 0. 0.15, -0.6, specific for the Commando whale.

I'll try these....let me know (if you have a moment) if you find settings that work particularly well!

The Flight Dymanics make me want to puke

how many hours do you have on the C46 and what is this bird supposed to feel like ????

Image removed as image is no longer available.

okokok... I understand the slow turn because I read about it. But why are the elevators like 10x more responsive than the ailerons? It just doesn't make sense to me.

I did a hamberger run with the Whale today, think it was about 87 miles. Man that was some expensive burger. I made sure that we were heading for a runway that could handle the C-46 and had no problem landing. I like the way it handles but it is a lumber wagon after all and must to be treated as such. You have to plan your maneuvers well ahead when approching the airport. But it is fun feeling out the runway and not bouncing back in the air. It can use up the runway length really fast if you don't keep it down. Don't be afraid to go around if needed. Get the gear up and clean up the flaps when climing out. enjoy.

This was exactly the kind of aircraft I'd been praying for since day one, with a cockpit of course.

Downloaded it only because I have surplus points, for which Microsoft has already taken my money. Nice aircraft model, but hard to get enthusiastic when I'm forced to fly in external view, using a silly HUD. I agree the roll rate seems disproportionately slow relative to other controls.

Was hoping to fly this crate from Hawaii to Alaska, but sadly its maximum range falls about 450nm short of the 1900nm required.

Was hoping to fly this crate from Hawaii to Alaska, but sadly its maximum range falls about 450nm short of the 1900nm required.

Not tried this but....

Assuming you are cruising at max economy, about 120 Kts (?), and you set a 60 Kts tail wind, then you could achieve a distance of maybe 2100 nmiles...which should be plenty.

Assuming you have fine control of wind - I can't remember. Will only take 133 hours ... send a postcard if you make it, or a note in a bottle if you don't...

I'm tempted as it would bring Alaska to life ... but the lack of VC kills it. Maybe when Ice Pilots comes back on TV :)

I assume everyone knows Buffalo fly a C-46?

Click http://www.icepilots.com/fleet_c46.php to see the cockpit you should have!

The C-46 is regarded as one of the more challenging of the fleet (reflected in Flight), its main (only?) advantage being its huge cargo capacity (relative to a DC-3 for instance) - which sadly isn't utilised in Flight.

Cheers

Keith

how many hours do you have on the C46 and what is this bird supposed to feel like ????

You don't really need any real world flying experience to notice if flight dynamics have something seriously wrong, best way is to compare it to well made similar FS models and see how it handles compared to them. I don't know about this particular bird though as I don't own it.

I made sure that we were heading for a runway that could handle the C-46 and had no problem landing.

I've found it important to choose a starting runway that can handle the plane also. Some runways cause an instant (plane) crash on start the aircraft intersects the hangar!

Keith

I did fly for about three hours, enough for Kauai to slip into the darkness behind me... when I got down to 63% fuel I saved the game, then switched to map view to check my progress... the distance I had travelled north was sifnificantly less than the width of the Hawaiian island chain... which doesn't seem right, I wonder if I was further out and was repositioned by activating the map.

Wind strength and direction cannot be set as far as I know, I simply chose the calmest of the preset weather conditions. Even so, the aircraft would drift slowly and require tiny mouse inputs on a regular basis. I did fiddle with RPM and fuel mixture to the best of my ability but it's hard to achieve optimal economy without any instruments. At about 5000ft the best cruising speed I could coax was about 170 knots.

If anyone knows how to generate a reliable tail wind I might give it another try.

Thx for the link to the cockpit BTW... man, that thing looks ancient.