Sign in to follow this  
RoboRay

Kerbal Space Program

Just saw this on Steam, most say its a must buy. Going to go back and read this thread from the beginning as I just thought it was a launch into the air and parachute type program.

Finally some progress! After weeks of sitting around doing nothing I decided to make a final attempt at putting a crew on Tylo, and bring them home again. It took five launches in total. The lander and transport modules were launched separately and docked in Kerbin orbit. The transport module had to be refuelled before burning for Jool and I also sent two unmanned fuel trucks to Tylo to top up the lander and what was left of the transport module before it was time for the actual landing. As it turned out I greatly overestimated fuel consumption for the lander because even though I jettisoned about 1500 units of fuel on the descent I still had 400 units left after docking with the transport module.

First launch: The lander. Most of the ship except the outer mainsail rockets and the lower large tank went all the way to Tylo.

Second launch: The transporter.

Lander and transporter docked and I also sent a fueltruck up to top up with transit fuel.

Passing Jool on the way to Tylo.

Two of these unmanned fuel trucks were sent to Tylo with fuel for the landing and return trip.

Lander separated form the transporter and preparing to de-orbit.

First stage released after running out of fuel. At 30000m the second stage is released and all eight engines of the actual lander fires. The big orange tank stays on until about 1000m.

The final stage of the landing. The fuel I have on board here has to be enough for the ascent to orbit so this is not the time to be picky about landing spots. Fortunately it was reasonably flat.

Our three brave and very patient souls finally get to stretch their legs.

Looking up we see Jool, Laythe and Vall. Just in case some conspiracy theorists would suspect that we went to Mun instead...

There wasn't too much to see on Tylo though so we quickly decided to go home again.

Docking with the transporter.

And we're almost home again!

• Upvote 2

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

Nice Tylo mission.  I still have not attempted a landing there, let alone a manned one that returns to orbit.  The delta-v requirements are rather daunting.  :)

And you even brought along a little rover, too!

Nice Tylo mission.  I still have not attempted a landing there, let alone a manned one that returns to orbit.  The delta-v requirements are rather daunting.  :)

And you even brought along a little rover, too!

Thanks. :)

No mission is a complete success unless the DEMV5 can come along, which is one of the reasons why I didn't make it easy for myself and went with Scott Manley's single Mainsail design. (The other being that I find it incredibly ugly, albeit more efficient than mine.)

I never bother with delta-v calculations but it sure took a lot of fuel when adding up all those launches. Goes to show what difference a bit of atmosphere (and oxygen) does as I made the Laythe trip with a single launch.

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

A Tylo-lander needs about 6km/sec to set down and return to orbit.  Yeah, that's a lot of fuel.  :)

screenshot1.png

The exhausts are already fixed; I'm working on the S-IVB at the moment. I hope I can get the performance right.

• Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

A Tylo-lander needs about 6km/sec to set down and return to orbit. Yeah, that's a lot of fuel. :)

I'll just have to take your word for that. :)

While I do like maths and physics I've never bothered to learn how to calculate that stuff because what I like even more (much more actually) is experimenting and building (to my eyes at least) good looking stuff, even if it means sacrificing a lot of efficiency and any chance to get a call from NASA's chief engineers. ;)

Rolf Lindbom

wHDDh6t.jpg

Oh, I don't calculate all that stuff.  I let a plug-in calculate it for my craft and look at a chart to make sure my craft is capable of doing the mission.  It considerably cuts down on running out of fuel half-way through a mission, or finishing with so much that I should have just sent a smaller ship.  :)

screenshot9.png

Whee!

S-IB performance is well within a compromise between reality and KSP's scale.

The gravity turn requires gentle inputs though, as it's very top heavy.

• Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

What's the "career mode" supposed to be or do?

Ian R Tyldesley