Sign in to follow this  
SQUAWKIDENT

DX10 and missing aircraft textures

I'm impressed with the smoothness of DX10 and FSX after making the necessary changes and using the modified files put together by stevejp. Thank you for all your hard work!

However some of my favourite older aircraft now have all white textures inside and out which is a bit of a killer for me as I love flying my De Havilland Chipmunk, HS748, RealAir 172 and other pre-fsx aircraft.

I have tried the addon x demo and even though it replaces some of the textures they all appear slightly transparent so have uninstalled it and am hoping to find another way of getting older aircraft textures to show up in DX10.

Any ideas?

Regards

Adam

Guest firehawk44

The demo only works for 10 minutes. The program does not change any of your aircraft textures. When you load your FS9 aircraft, the converter will make the textures compatible just for that flight as you load the aircraft and scenery. So, if you have a flight longer than 10 minutes, your aircraft will slowly disappear unless you purchase it.

Best regards,

Jim

Guest firehawk44

hi Jim,

does the software do it for non dx10 compatiable airport scenery and ai aircraft ?

No, just for DX10. Here's a quote from the manual on its capabilities:

"Addon Converter X is a plug-in for Microsoft Flight Simulator X that allows using many

aircraft and sceneries developed for FS2004 with FSX SP2 and FSX Acceleration Pack.

Many existing aircraft and sceneries suffer display problems with these FSX versions,

such as missing textures or missing scenery objects in the DirectX 10 mode. Addon

Converter X resolves many of these problems on the fly, thus allowing you to enjoy

thousands of sceneries and aircraft developed for previous Flight Simulator versions with

FSX.

Addon Converter X does not modify any files you have installed in FSX. It performs

conversions on the fly as FSX is loading files. Converted texture files are kept in a

special “cache” folder to reduce loading times during their subsequent uses. You don’t

have to “convert” any new add-ons installed. Simply copy them into FSX, and Addon

Converter X will make any necessary changes automatically.

Note that while Addon Converter X resolves most common problems, it does not resolve

every possible incompatibility."

Best regards,

Jim

OK - I'll bite... What's this "Inactive member_Firehawk44_***" all about? :Thinking: Have you been a bad lad, Jim?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

me='firehawk44' timestamp='1346450342' post='2459894']

No, just for DX10. Here's a quote from the manual on its capabilities

"

Addon Converter X does not modify any files you have installed in FSX. It performs

conversions on the fly as FSX is loading files. Converted texture files are kept in a

special “cache” folder to reduce loading times during their subsequent uses. You don’t

have to “convert” any new add-ons installed. Simply copy them into FSX, and Addon

Converter X will make any necessary changes automatically"

Best regards,

Jim

Copy what? What do I have to copy?

Thanks,

Dirk

Copy what? What do I have to copy? If they meant addons I install them, not copy, of course.

Thanks,

Dirk

OK - I'll bite... What's this "Inactive member_Firehawk44_***" all about? :Thinking: Have you been a bad lad, Jim?

No, I'm still alive and well. There was a problem with my account so in the process of rebuilding it.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

AVSIM Staff! Wow! Pay raise?

:lol:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I'm thinking of getting Addon Converter X and wondered if the pre-processing feature keeps the textures converted "forever" on the planes that are installed or if it needs to be periodically re-run, even if no new airplanes have been installed. Thanks! I was going to download the demo, but since it's only 10 minutes and may not work as well as the full version, I don't know if it'll really show me all the program can do.

It converted all of my aircraft, Skip, and I didn't have any issues with the land, but what it does, is to launch automagically, alongside the sim, and convert the textures "on the fly" - the first time taking a few minutes, and then the sim starts - and voila' - you see your old Chipmunk, or "whatever". The downside is that it always launches, and then reads it's cache from the first time, allowing you to continue to see the "whatever". If you don't run it - you don't see it. It starts through an entry in the dll.xml (or the exe.xml). You can set it to start - or not to start by modifying the entry, something like EZCA.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, Paul for the quick reply and for all the work you and Steve have been doing to get all of us all flying with the additional features that DX10 offers. When I tried out DX10 and noticed a HUGE increase in FPS (10+ at busy airports and even higher in less dense areas) I didn't want to go back to DX9.