Sign in to follow this  
spinner

JS41 New Checklist and Comments

Hi,

Have been flying the JS4100 for a couple of months now, absolutely fantastic! I've developed my own checklist for all stages of flight, which is attached for anyone who is interested. It's not the full detail as per the operating manual, but it's enough for a full flight without blowing up the engines. It covers four sides of A4, I have mine on two double-sided laminated sheets. It also covers a few things that crop up from time to time in the forum, including air starts and T/O distances. The latter is based on my own calculations and several trial flights; I'd be interested in any feedback.

Just a couple of comments for PMDG:

1. It took me a long time to sort out the flashing-polygons problem and the disappearing-textures problem. When you know the answer it's easy, but it took me a lot of time to find the answers. As these are known problems, why not just put a few lines of addendum in the manual that comes with the product ? This could save new buyers a lot of grief.

2. There are lots of posts on the cockpit noises being too loud. I don't find the noises too loud, but I do find the tone and volume change massively when I turn my virtual head just a fraction - surely that can't be realistic ?

Other than those two minor gripes, it's a brilliant product, thank you. Hope some of you find the checklist useful.

Thanks that is an awesome checklist!

I use FS2Crew so I need to stick with that for normals but I'll definitely use yours for non normals. Plus the reference stuff is very handy.

I see you've also had trouble loading flights and have a good procedure for that, great I can print that and makes it easier to restart.

Cheers

Where can I find the link to this checklist? It doesn't seem to appear for me in the post?

Hans Soule

Thanks that is an awesome checklist!

I use FS2Crew so I need to stick with that for normals but I'll definitely use yours for non normals. Plus the reference stuff is very handy.

I see you've also had trouble loading flights and have a good procedure for that, great I can print that and makes it easier to restart.

Cheers

Well if you use FS2crew, than you should try this one:

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1253-pmdg-j41-check-list-for-fs2crew/

It is possible to put it in the kneeboard of the plane very easy. Great product and free!

Eric

Thanks I'll check it out.

On the J41 for the OP I think the sound is ok too, sometimes I have a problem but I just hit Q twice and it fixes it.

My only gripe with this plane is the lack of Hold feature in the FMS, have to fly holds manually. Also the hardware support is a pain to program, other than that I agree she's probably my favorite or second favorite plane

Well, that is odd, the attachment was there when I put the post up, but now it's gone. Has anyone else had problems with vanishing attachments on these posts ? I've noticed a lot of people give links to documents instead of putting them as attachments, but I don't have a website so not sure where else I could put it ?

OK, I think the attachment file size was too large so it's been deleted by the moderators. I'll work out how to reduce the filesize or something because it is a good checklist . . . .

Hi Al!

Absolutely awesome checklist! will be using it right away. Have you got any data on landing distances by any chance?

You mentioned in your opening post you solved the flashing polygons problem, please oh please tell me hoew you did that!

I've only noticed so far that after I load my default cessna at seattle if I switch plane from the VC then they tend to appear less often than when I cange AC from the 2d cockpit. Other than that it seems to happen when I reduce fsx to icon but very loosely so.

Take care, Mat

Al,

your post makes interesting reading, and I looked to download the checklist, but couldn't find it. I am also interested in the fix for the flashing textures, as, due to these I haven't flown my Jetstream for over a year now. Is there any other way I can get hold of the cure for the flashing textures and the checklist?

cheers,

John Hansen

Hi Al,

sorry, I've just found the link to the ckecklist, and I'll go to the J41 forum to see if there is anything there about the flashing panel textures. If not, could you post the fix here please, I am really interested in sorting this problem.

Cheers,

John Hansen

You mentioned in your opening post you solved the flashing polygons problem, please oh please tell me hoew you did that!

I am also interested in the fix for the flashing textures, as, due to these I haven't flown my Jetstream for over a year now.

Use the PMDG J41 Configuration Manager (which is in Start > All Programs > PMDG Simulations) to set the Virtual Cockpit Model Options to medium or low. The problem occurs on some graphic cards (including mine), I believe it is something to do with the icing effects in the virtual cockpit.

If you guys have any technical problems you can always file a support ticket through the PMDG website, instead of waiting about for a year!

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

ckyliu,

thank you for a very quick reply, it does seem rather easy. As for not contacting PMDG with a support tcket, it was one of those things that you see, say to yourself that you must sort it out and don't get round too, then the next time you use the J41 you realise that you still haven't sorted that problem, and promptly do it again, plus, reading my post again I realise that it seems to read that the sole reason I hadn't flown the J41 was the flashing textures, when in fact there where things like the release of the 737NGX (and others), sorry about that. :unsure:

thanks again for your help.

John

Always a pleasure to help a fellow simmer, especially one that appreciates the J41 (I don't want to sound elitist but I always considered us a rather unique bunch in the FS world, trying to avoid spontaneously combusting our TPE-331s, constantly turning the anti-ice on and off and struggling to hear ATC over those bloody Garretts! Also we're possibly the only Simmers to have a second meaning for APR abbreviation).

To be honest, the flashing polys fix should have been made a sticky at the top of the forum but I don't think the PMDG staff really spend much time in this section any more as it's not very busy vis-à-vis the NGX, 777 and 747 sections; the J41 is sort of a legacy product now and I don't believe it sells in large volumes.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Hi Al!

Absolutely awesome checklist! will be using it right away. Have you got any data on landing distances by any chance?

I've only noticed so far that after I load my default cessna at seattle if I switch plane from the VC then they tend to appear less often than when I cange AC from the 2d cockpit. Other than that it seems to happen when I reduce fsx to icon but very loosely so.

Take care, Mat

I don't have any data on landing distances, it's a completely different calculation, and I haven't worked it out yet. Generally though, I would work on the basis that landing distances tend to be less than T/O distances, so if you can take-off from a certain runway then you can also land there.

ckyliu has given you the fix for the polygons, but absolutely right that it should be a pinned topic in this forum.

Al