Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

Why would a real world commercial pilot play FlightSim

I was reading/hearing that even real world commercial pilots play the FlightSim game.

I would love to hear from one ( or several ) to find out:

- What would this game give them ?

- Why to play ?

- How realistic is the FlightSim game compared to the real world ?

- What is not realistic in the FlightSim compared to the real world ?

Just curious

Paul12

Herbert Werni

Hi Paul,

You maybe aren't in the right forum part to ask this question, but anyways in the PMDG Forums (especially in the General Forum) there are some real world airliner first officers and captains around. I don't know if you will get many answers in this sub forum for the MD-11, and maybe your post will be moved or even deleted. :wink:

Jonathan

Guest BeaverDriver

Yeah, probably better to ask this in the MSFS General forum. Don't just think "Commercial Pilots" are airliner drivers though. I flew Beavers, 185's, Otters, etc. for 17 years and I was every bit as "commercial" as the airliner guys. I've also been simming since the days of SubLOGIC, so yeah, I've done both. I can't fly IRL now so simming gives some of that back to me. As for how realistic it is? Well, PMDG certainly helps and is probably as immersive as it gets. But, you're trying to turn a 2D world into a 3D with very limited resources. Just have fun with it and enjoy, is my advice :smile:

Like beaver driver I've been flying for a living a long time.

I simply enjoy it. I flew so many different things over the last 35+ years from a bell 47 helicopter to a Saab 340 to the canadair 215 to today where I'm flying a desk 90% and still in the cockpit 10%. Loved flt sim since the 1980's on a comadore 64.

As i know have some people become airline pilot before have experience play fs,and good aircraft can give those to practice correct procedure. Also few older pilot not familiar use computer...

Paul,

I've been flying MD-80's for 9 years. Captain for 4 years. For me it's just my love for aviation and airplanes. To tell you the truth, airline flying is a job. You fly the same routes, the same aircraft type for many years. For me it's a way to - in some way - expand my knowledge of all things aviation. Including ATC procedures, different approaches and different aircraft systems. Long live the MD-11. The best aircraft in the PMDG stable !!!

Cheers,

Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Same for me as above. I've been flying commercial jets for a little over 8 years, been Captain for 3.5 years. The difference between the real world and flight is 80% night and day, but since we have a passion for aviation we use flight sim as a tool, we practice our real world procedures as best we can (within the limits of FS of course) we talk with fellow pilots on skype or via chat on VATSIM, we answer question, explain certain procedures because not everyone is a commercial pilot, and many look for input and guidance on how to properly fly an aircraft of complexity.

We share our passion with others in the form of flight simming. Although I have a fairly busy schedule, I always find time to go back to basics and fly a Cessna or Baron, even a Piper cub, low and slow, just to get out of the fast paced mindset of a commercial jet.

I love to help others, and what better way than to do so in an active virtual community that share the same passion as I do.

So here I lend out my hand to who ever wishes to learn how to fly a jet in flight sim. Not just add power, pull back, raise the gear and turn on the autopilot. There's a lot more to it if you want to get the best of your "Airline" experience.

Regards

Dan D

I use flightsim to help practice autos as well as my approaches. It is also very good for helping in cementing procedures, such as before takeoff check before bringing it to a hover and such. Plus it is fun to fly something else.

Nick

Nick Hatchel

"Sometimes, flying feels too godlike to be attained by man. Sometimes, the world from above seems too beautiful, too wonderful, too distant for human eyes to see …"
Charles A. Lindbergh, 1953

System: Custom Watercooled--Intel i7-8700k OC: 5.0 Ghz--Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7--EVGA GTX 1080ti Founders Edition--16GB TridentZ RGB DDR4--240GB SSD--460GB SSD--1TB WD Blue HDD--Windows 10--55" Sony XBR55900E TV--GoFlight VantEdge Yoke--MFG Crosswind Pedals--FSXThrottle Quattro Throttle Quadrant--Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS--TrackIR 5--VRInsight MCPii Boeing

Also, for me, I get a chance to experience aircraft my career path did not take me to. The more accurate the creation, the better. That's why I like pmdg. The new cool sky dc9 is looking interesting....would like to get a qrh for it. The dc6 from pmdg has my attention......I spent some time with round engines on the 215. I'm within 5 years of the end of my career but suspect I'll be enjoying flt simming 20 years from now. Dave

- Why

Simple answer really; Using PMDG aircraft and other highly complex aircraft add-ons, you don't play anymore, you fly. And learn.

And if you can do abnormal and emergency procedures too, there's your preparation for simulator checks if you want.

Yes there's a huge difference flying a desktop sim vs. a Level-D sim, but a simulation is as good as you make it inside your head. So if you want you can use it as a valuable tool. After all even aircraft manufacturers sell desktop simulators, theirs of course are better in some parts, but worse in others.

Cheers,

Markus

Markus Burkhard

I will definitely agree that PMDG's attention to detail in the MD-11 and 737 certainly make flying more fun and realistic, but - for me - is more about the freedom to fly what I want where I want when I want. The sims can help people learn basic concepts and proceedures, but are no replacement for real flight training. The sims have their good points, and their bad points. At the end of the day no RW pilot has the means or opportunity to fly all these different aircraft anywhere anytime, and even if they did there would still be a mountain of stipulations attached to it.

I bid on the routes I want to fly at work, but that's limited to the routes available to bid on, and I'm limited by my seniority. None of that exists in the sim. I load up and go where I want.

I read somewhere a long time ago that commerical pilots will use FS to help prep themselves for an unfamiliar airport. Be it a SID/STAR or the surrounding terrain. It's interesting to me that professional pilots use FS. I thought they wouldn't want anything to do with aviation while on their off days :). It's nice to see so many pro pilots using FS.

I remember about 10 years ago a friend came over to use Reality XP's 530 as she was going for an interview and she wanted an idea of what it was like to use. She's now a first officer for Delta. :)