Sign in to follow this  
William J.S.S

I PAID OVER $40 FOR THIS!?!?!?!

I am using TrackIR, and I do use DHM, unless I am flying larger aircraft like the NGX or Avro, as I find that without DHM I have a hard enough time turning knobs and flipping switches at the rate that it demands let alone trying to do all that with a bumpy cockpit.

With GA, which I fly 90% of the time, I do use DHM through OPUS and TrackIR.

Spot on about the transition issue in AS!

I'm all set on FSUIPC, can't imagine running FSX without it...

I have a Track IR5 but I'm not exactly enamoured with the software interface so I'd be more than happy to check out what Opus has to offer. Does Opus support the track clip pro? That's a big issue for me given amount of light polution I have to deal with.

For textures I do have REX. I got it long after I was running AS and multiple people told me not to bother with the weather engine in it because AS was far better. So, I'm all set for textures and like what REX does for me in that regard.

Not having AccuFeel work with Opus would be a real drawback. Is this a confirmed limitation?

As for AccuFeel, I have it, but not installed at the moment. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I am unsure about that. I will install it tonight and test.

I also have the TrackClip and it works fine, the way it works does not matter one way or the other, as it works with the actual core program, and not the device that you use.

I did not like how Opus automatically input the camera definition line in all my cfg files in my aircraft folders. I wanted just the weather and did not want to use any other part but now I had all my cfg files altered. There should be a way to choose if you want that done or not.

Eric 

Does Opus support the track clip pro?

The track clip pro support is all in TrackIR, so Opus would obviously support it.

Not having AccuFeel work with Opus would be a real drawback. Is this a confirmed limitation?

Worst cast you'd have to disable the camera functions in OpusFSX in order to be able to use AccuFeel, the same as you'd do if you preferred using EZDOK.

I've found that on low and slow flights, using AS2012 DWC and checking Prevent Cloud Redraws with weather set to update every 10 minutes gives a good representation of changing weather conditions. I've had cases where a 30 minute update interval will give improper cloud coverage. I can't deal with cloud popping (where the entire sky changes on a weather update), which you'll get in OpusFSX when it updates the weather at 30 minute intervals, and with AS2012 with Prevent Cloud Redraws unchecked. Word Not Allowed, in the "Should I bite..." thread (it's worth reading the entire thread), says AS2012 will occasionally clear the entire sky, then shortly after redraw all the clouds in a different place. I've never seen that with the settings I use.

Some people say they've never seen overcast in AS2012. Well, I've seen it all too often, and a cumulus overcast will cut your frame rate in half if your view includes any sky at all.

Some people say that using DWC in AS2012 will cause the the same clouds as far as you can see (depending on your cloud draw distance setting in FSX), but I have not found that to be the case, although as I stated above, a 30 minute weather update interval could cause a similar effect. Default in AS2012 is 10 minutes.

DWC does cause issues with ATIS reporting, but AS2012 offers two radio frequencies, 122.00 and 122.02 to handle that. The first gives the nearest weather station (but reports your winds aloft), the second gives the proper ground weather at your destination (requiring a flight plan to be loaded). OpusFSX does not use global weather (DWC mode) so does not have this issue.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

The track clip pro support is all in TrackIR, so Opus would obviously support it.

So there must be an option in Opus to choose between the "Track Clip" and "Track Clip Pro", yes?

I have to make that selection in the existing TrackIR software so I would think with that software not running I would need to input that setting in Opus.

Tom,

You can check out our website but one of the main differences is as Purr said....

"BUT, here is the difference that is absolutely true--no other engine depicts this:

In other weather engines, when the weather updates or changes, you suddenly are just "in" it. In Opus, horizon to horizon weather means that for the first time, you actually can see DIFFERENT weather in the distance (that you are not yet in) and approach / fly through / leave behind it--even turn around and you will actually SEE what you just flew through."

I haven't tried Accufeel but you should be able to use it for sounds although the aircraft movement options may conflict with our DHM.

Eric

The latest betas don't alter your aircraft CFG files.

Regards

Cheryl

I have to make that selection in the existing TrackIR software so I would think with that software not running I would need to input that setting in Opus.

If the TrackIR software isn't running, the camera won't function and you won't get any head tracking. You have to run TrackIR for it to work. Which means the track clip pro support is self-contained totally within TrackIR.

The latest betas don't alter your aircraft CFG files.

Thanks Cheryl! Best news I've heard all day. :)

Hook

Larry Hookins

The software prepares the cfg files only when Live Camera is enabled, either after enabling or on start up with LC already enabled. It also restores your cfg files immediately after disabling Live Camera.

Stephen

"BUT, here is the difference that is absolutely true--no other engine depicts this:

In other weather engines, when the weather updates or changes, you suddenly are just "in" it. In Opus, horizon to horizon weather means that for the first time, you actually can see DIFFERENT weather in the distance (that you are not yet in) and approach / fly through / leave behind it--even turn around and you will actually SEE what you just flew through."

This is exactly what I was getting with ASE a year ago. I'd diverted around a thunderstorm (had to, I was in a sailplane at the time, with FSX world class thermals) and I've got several screen shots with the thunderstorm off in the distance, while I was flying in clear skies.

The software prepares the cfg files only when Live Camera is enabled,

So do the latest betas alter the aircraft config files or not? Cheryl said they don't, and it wouldn't make sense to alter the config files if Live Camera was never selected.

Hook

Larry Hookins

I don't even think OPUS knows if you use the proclip or not, as I have switched it around about 4 times to test for you, using the head clip, and the pro clip and didn't notice anything special.

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll be checking out Opus the next time I fly!

The only pre test drive critique I have is with regard to the 10 minute demo. These days $45 is hard earned cash to part with and having a bit more time to see the value of Opus in action would likely lead to higher sales. It wouldn't hurt to crank that up to 30 or 60 minutes. 10 minutes is hardly enough time to get up in the air and look around.

Just one humble business mans opinion. I'll be sure to post a follow up here.

We already have plans to increase the time, but not to 60 minutes, and also increase the weather region to about 100 miles in each direction. Still limited to just generating the weather on the ground before you fly and explore.

We are also going to see about providing a static theme or two so people can just load them and see the sort of detailed weather. Just in case they don't want to bother with downloading the demo.

Regarding my previous comments. I think everyone knew what sort of review was coming. We have another reporter undertaking an independent review. His review is in depth and he has been using the product for about three weeks or so now. That in depth review will soon be posted I believe so I will post a revenue to it. I haven't seen the review yet but the reporter has been very thorough in his examination of the features and is totally unbiased. Those are the only reviews that are worthy of reading or listening to, not those tainted by personal feelings and biased views.

Regards

Stephen

Not sure if you noticed already but Flight 1 has 30 day refund policy, so in case that you regret you can always get your money back as long as you ask for refund within 30 days from purchase.

Anyway to me Opus certainly is one of those products that I will never regret purchasing.