Sign in to follow this  
Carlos11

OpusFSX vs REX vs ASE Comparision Video

Was this "old" version of Rex or the "new" Essentials?

Thanks for a great video!

I'm not sure but it shows that the 3 weather engines are able to reproduce the weather conditions,I think for now it is a matter of personal preference.

C.Brand

Looks like Opus does a particularly good job of handling "spreads" of cloudcover over big areas, as well as haze and restricted visibility out to the horizon.

Thanks for the video.

BIKF, the last sequence in the video, didn't fit the pattern of the other comparisons. It looks like you might have swapped labels on REX and ASE. Is that possible?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Great video!

I can see that you are close to the airports in each segment. Would have been great with accompanying METARs.

Also this video-test shows 'local weather' it would be great with a test of 'long-range weather' like approaching fronts and so on.

Interesting video, pleasant to see them side-by-side like that. That doesn't look like the newest iteration of REX; however, I moved on from REX sometime ago so I could be mistaken. My brother uses it and his seems more detailed; if I may use that word. I did not see a lot of difference between ASE and OPUS which was my main reason for watching. The last shot, there at BIKF seems off especially for OPUS where there is some cloud popping especially around 3:19, 3:25, and 3:27. I believe, at this time, I will remain with AS2012 which has done me great justice, has winds aloft, and can pull from VatSim.

Edward Smoker Sr.

It is not mine I found this video in youtube. But I think you are right the comparision is quite simple but even though I find the OpusFsx has an edge in the visual aspect

C.Brand

I think where the OPUS does better than REX and Active Sky is while descending to a layer with lower visibility, it seems to cover the layer with clouds very well so you don't see through this fog as badly as with REX/Active Sky. Also Overcast seems to be more solid than with these others.

I'm curious about something with OPUS, For those with it, does it set your Cloud Density in your fsx.cfg file greater than 8 (like 10 or 12). I've noticed that if set to 12, the REXE and ASE also give a good representation of weather horizon to horizon. So I'm wondering if the difference people are seeing in OPUS is actually from it's weather generating engine or from config settings? Here's a sample of what I get in ASE (REX-E textures) now with a Cloud density set to 12.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

For those who have access to REX and AS2012, try this with your weather engine, if possible post a video showing the effect. This is why I'm so happy with OPUS

Alexis Mefano

It has always been my impression that REX isn't very good at overcast condition, and this video seems to confirm it. Opus X looks promising, and it has the "camera" effect as well, not sure about the usability though...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Yeah Opus does indeed give very dense overcast, very real feeling, naturally that also eats some more resources than ASE overcast does, got my first out of memory error ever with these conditions + heavy snows in Zurich. Could be my own fault though for leaving my QW 757 on the ground for over a hour, would have been wiser to just save it there and then reload it later for return flight.