Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

Disable automatic injection on start

Why not ask the "Other" people to include all the options AS2012 offers?

Several reasons;

1) at this time they cannot do it

2) they would lose all the things that people like about Opus.

When you are building something, things go fast and furious in the beginning as you are establishing the core of your product. So you rush to implement each and every wish the user puts forth. Creates a GREAT impression and builds the product. After the product matures you spend more time refining the product which is by nature slower - you are polishing the product. Big difference.

Opus is where AS was several years ago. You want AS to function similar to Opus? OK, start by disabling winds aloft. Disable the flight planning. Disable ACCURATE ( not necessarily pretty) weather depiction, etc. etc. etc. Disable DWC and pay no attention to rapid wind shifts because you don't have winds aloft implemented so they are meaningless, right? This is NOT a knock at Opus - they are building a product and they will find, as we did, that FSX itself is the limiting factor and unless you want to hack MS code, you are stuck with what they give you.

I am amazed at some users - I have read quite thoroughly the posts by the Opus developer on their site - they explain quite well, and honestly about cloud popping, holes, haze layer, clouds disappearing during weather writes etc - ALL the result of FSX inefficiencies which we explained years ago. They are going through the same steps we did. And they state quite openly that they are TRYING to overcome those limitations. Been there, done that, got the T shirt.

I just find it humorous when someone takes an old discarded car, cleans it up, adds a fresh coat of paint, starts adding bells and whistles and people think it's a brand new car.

Competition is always good - keeps everyone on their toes. I have NO quarrel with Opus or REX so please don't take my comments as a knock against either.

This is just MHO so please ignore my sig banner.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

But we're also working on something brand new that works even better to give people the best of both worlds (accurate winds, full smoothing of all conditions, AND proper cloud coverage depiction in all cases along with smooth cloud transitioning effects).

Where do I send my money? :) I'd pre-order this based just on your description and your reputation and my experience with Active Sky over the years. This is what I'd been wishing for ever since I noticed that DWC didn't always give accurate clouds.

What are we looking at for a time frame here? Six months to a year? A new version (AS2013)?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Where do I send my money? :) I'd pre-order this based just on your description and your reputation and my experience with Active Sky over the years. This is what I'd been wishing for ever since I noticed that DWC didn't always give accurate clouds.

What are we looking at for a time frame here? Six months to a year? A new version (AS2013)?

Hook

Well I can't spill all the beans quite yet, but as always, we are indeed working on a brand new engine that has been in development for a while now. We do hope to give details on this (and schedules) fairly soon.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

But Damian - please make it light. No textures. Just a simple weather addon with flightplan entry, winds aloft and route report. As simple as it can get. But effective. Textures are all fine as an addon module or something.

I don't mind having graphics bundled with the weather software. Originally I bought XGraphics (whatever it was called at the time, was a separate purchase), so I know what that's like. I found the graphics functions integrated into Active Sky to be nicely done, even if I'll never use more than a few percent of the possible graphics.

One thing I really appreciate with AS2012 is the ability to randomly generate a new graphics theme and try it out. If I discover that I don't like the moon and cirrus clouds, for example, I can select ones that I like and download just those without going through the time consuming process of building the tropical water graphics. Perhaps other graphics programs do this; I've never used them.

For some reason a lot of people Really Like the REX cloud textures. Maybe those people would prefer not to have the graphics bundled with AS2012. For the rest of us, getting new textures is just fine.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I disagree wholeheartedly Word Not Allowed. I want one package that does it all and not to have to go get textures from somewhere else. Chris Willis does a great job and I like how AS2012 injects the textures based on the flight plan weather. I want this in this next version as well.

Eric 

We plan to separate things in the future (weather/graphics +bundle option) to accommodate both camps.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

I guess everyone has their preferences and programs that suit better their configurations. If you are a user of AS2012 textures, then it is of course better for you if you have it in one program. If you don't - then it is of course not better.