Sign in to follow this  
WestAir

737 Re-entry Attitude?

Hey guys,

I have a question about the PMDG 737NGX Re-entry procedures. I've been unsuccessful at descending through FL360 and It has me scratching my head. Currently, i've been using a standard VNAV descent profile to begin my re-entry but I always end up in an aircraft overstress. I tried to RTFM, but I couldn't find anything pertaining to atmospheric re-entry in the POH or SOP.

When reaching FL360 or above, what attitude do you guys normally use to continue your descent down to the STAR?

Also, I've had serious issues getting the APU to run through my cruise and descent. I'm following Ryan's tutorials but the APU simply won't start, it gives me a "APU FAULT" error. I also get an "Above Max Cert Alt." Warning on the FMC whenever I climb to cruise.

I included a picture of my last failed re-entry attempt. I don't know if the attitude was too steep, but I always overstress it whenever I reach Mach 4.5. Any help in solving my problems would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re-entry.png

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

...and here I was all ready to make a snarky sarcastic reply about 737 space operations and the OP already beat me too it! Brilliant!

The attitude was too steep, a landing at KEDW simply isn't possible like that. You must be 40 degrees angle of attack to get it right, otherwise you'll burn up. Also, above FL360 you must engage crew oxygen :lol:

FS2004 Forever

Ohh and don't forget those >60 degree alternating turns to slow ya down as well ;)

I tried to perform S-Turns to slow down, but the aircraft responds extremely sluggishly above FL100 and won't respond to any airfoil changes above FL130. I think PMDG failed to correctly model the aircrafts flight model here. -_-

It works fine in the Woodpidgeon, though.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

The Pre-T7 boredom has struck us all. Yet I admire your creativity in the effort to brighten up this.. hm... dead silent forum. Cool picture...

P.S. 8 degrees nose up, fingers crossed and you should be fine ;)

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Darn it, seriously are you trying to suggest that the 737 is not FAA approved for space flight?! :O

Just remember, in space, no one can hear your APU. And apparently, they mostly come at night, mostly.

:P

OP, why do you have your landing light on? Or does 737 has another checklist for space ops?

It's for anti collision reasons. It the same for the USS Enterprise. Despite having scanners that can inform you of how many people on the planet and what they are eating, and a 'TCAS' unit that can alert you to Klingons 3000 miles of the right side, they still have flashing lights to stop other space ships from bumping into them.

Regards

Paul

Paul Edwards

they still have flashing lights to stop other space ships from bumping into them

Haha! That's brilliant. I never thought of that (even being a bit of a trekkie). Definitely stealing that line during my next rant about sci-fi films.