Sign in to follow this  
6FingerSays

Why is FSX so Green in the Winter...

So today I was flying from Kansas city, to Denver Colorado. When I was flying and descending into Denver when I looked at the ground, and noticed that the ground was Summer green.

And it's November?????????!??? If I didn't know I had it set to Fall november, you would think its july.

It really makes me mad!!!

I have GEX, and UTX installed.

Is UTX the cause of this???

Thanks for your helpful response

Well what did you expect... this is generally how FSX behaves and there is little you can do!

I've been finding the winter texture to brown for my home. Its green grass and the lots of evergreen

FSX textures are just awful. Sand mountains, yellow fields, all the result of seriously defective vision and bad color calibration on the part of whichever ACES team member did the textures. It is the 2nd biggest reason I stopped flying FSX next to the frequent crashes. In some areas it looks absolutely hideous.

ACES seriously dropped the ball with FSX. I'm not surprised they got fired. Anyone who didn't see it coming was ignoring the obvious.

Best regards,

Robin.

FSX default textures bad! That's a major reason why GEX, FEX, REX, FTX/Orbx, MegaScenery, FS DreamTeam and many others came up with replacement textures. These developers are very happy FSX screwed up on the textures. But the OP said the textures belong to GEX. Since GEX replaces all default textures, you can't blame FSX here!

It is the 2nd biggest reason I stopped flying FSX next to the frequent crashes.

What sim are you flying now? FS9? Microsoft Flight? XPlane?

I have GEX, and UTX installed. Is UTX the cause of this???

It could be UTX as UTX tells FSX what textures, what landclass to load. One way to find out is to disable UTX in the Scenery Library or through the UTX utility. Then fly in the same area and see if that fixes the problem. GEX replaced all of your default textures. It could be at fault too but that would mean the program did not install properly. When you start up FSX and look at the time and season, is it showing the proper season? Does it happen in other locations too? If so, then there is probably a problem with GEX if the textures still show up with UTX disabled. You will need to reinstall it.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Most of the default textures in FSX are pretty bad, but that doesn't have to be the problem here. The FSX engine defines the change of seasons differently for different regions. In some regions they got it right, in others they didn't. Overall it's not that bad. In the real world climate varies greatly, even within very small regions. i live in a coastal city in the Arctic. Last year we had no snow until January, this year it came early in October, and has stayed. Within the city there are huge differences. The downtown area rarely gets any snow and temperatures are higher than the eastern part of the city, located just 10 kilometers from the downtown area. There it can be as much as 10 degrees colder, and a meter more of snow! Realistically one can't expect any flight sim to simulate climate that detailed.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Ha! This is right in line with my previous comments on the color palette in FSX being one of the major drawbacks for me.

Ha! This is right in line with my previous comments on the color palette in FSX being one of the major drawbacks for me.

Yep, but since Microsoft has stopped development it will never be fixed. Maybe Lockheed Martin will do something about it in P3D, but somehow I don't see their customers complaining about such minor details.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

his is right in line with my previous comments on the color palette in FSX being one of the major drawbacks for me.

Try using a custom color palette with and you can make it look any way you want.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

What weather program are you using? that has a lot to do with whether snow textures are placed in an area.

I am using REXE+, and Opus FSX Currently. FSX never puts snow on the ground in certain areas such as the west in the winter unless it is directly SNOWING. So I don't think it's because of this.

FSX default textures bad! That's a major reason why GEX, FEX, REX, FTX/Orbx, MegaScenery, FS DreamTeam and many others came up with replacement textures. These developers are very happy FSX screwed up on the textures. But the OP said the textures belong to GEX. Since GEX replaces all default textures, you can't blame FSX here!

What sim are you flying now? FS9? Microsoft Flight? XPlane?

It could be UTX as UTX tells FSX what textures, what landclass to load. One way to find out is to disable UTX in the Scenery Library or through the UTX utility. Then fly in the same area and see if that fixes the problem. GEX replaced all of your default textures. It could be at fault too but that would mean the program did not install properly. When you start up FSX and look at the time and season, is it showing the proper season? Does it happen in other locations too? If so, then there is probably a problem with GEX if the textures still show up with UTX disabled. You will need to reinstall it.

Best regards,

Jim

Yeah, UTX is the cause of the problem. Too Bad, because UTX is very GOOD! But it's outdated...

Does anybody know if there is a good alternative to UTX out there?

Most of the default textures in FSX are pretty bad, but that doesn't have to be the problem here. The FSX engine defines the change of seasons differently for different regions. In some regions they got it right, in others they didn't. Overall it's not that bad. In the real world climate varies greatly, even within very small regions. i live in a coastal city in the Arctic. Last year we had no snow until January, this year it came early in October, and has stayed. Within the city there are huge differences. The downtown area rarely gets any snow and temperatures are higher than the eastern part of the city, located just 10 kilometers from the downtown area. There it can be as much as 10 degrees colder, and a meter more of snow! Realistically one can't expect any flight sim to simulate climate that detailed.

Yeah but UTX is creating GREEN land when the temperature is 30 degrees in November. That's so OFF.

Try using a custom color palette with and you can make it look any way you want.

How do you do that?

It is the 2nd biggest reason I stopped flying FSX next to the frequent crashes. In some areas it looks absolutely hideous.

Yet your hoping the PMDG 777 is out before Christmas. If I didn't use FSX I wouldn't spend $70 for a plane that wont even get used.

I'm hoping for a pre-Christmas release, but I'm not waiting either. "It's ready when it's ready". I just hope they exceed the standard set by the MD-11 (and I'll say it so there is no ambiguity - I think the NGX fell short, but that is my opinion).

Best regards,

Robin.

How do you do that?

If your machine is able to run ENB with no problem you can use a custom palette to change the appearance and you dont even need to use the bloom feature if you dont want to. There are a number of custom palettes on the web and a bunch of choices over on the REX forum that Tim and some of the other forum members have posted. Of course if your handy in using photo shop or an image editor you can tweak the palette yourself and pretty much do anything. Of course if if ENB causes your FSX to crash or causes other problems then your out of luck.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

For the month of November, Denver displays the mild winter texture set, except the mountain areas display hard winter (snow). The default FSX mild winter North American textures (b2wi) are well known to have strange (too yellow) color bias.

current NESDIS 4km snow cover data for 2012 317:

scott s.