Sign in to follow this  

All

What are the loading time differences like between a 7200rpm HDD and an SSD?

At the moment it can take me up to 3-4 minutes from clicking on the FSX icon to finding myself in the cockpit and its bugging me.

Is there a huge difference in FSX loading time with an SSD?

If so would you put OS and FSX on it or OS on the HDD and FSX only on the SSD?

Cheers

Martin

I have FSX running on a Kingston 560G SSD. That SSD has exclusively only FSX stuff, sceneries, etc. My OS and other programs are on a seperate 240G SSD. Just for grins, I checked my times.

From the time I hit the FSX icon till the first screen is 38.5 seconds.

From the time I hit the Fly Now button till the NGX is on screen is 23.3 seconds.

I have a TON of stuff on my FSX drive. Sceneries, aircraft, utilities out the wazoo. I'm sure that slows me down.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

I have a TON of stuff on my FSX drive. Sceneries, aircraft, utilities out the wazoo. I'm sure that slows me down.

It slows FSX down in terms of scanning through and loading them, but it doesn't slow the drive down. Its performance will be pretty much the same whether it's 1% full or 99% full.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Love the OP sys and FSX on one.... FAST-FAST-FAST... quiet... Never had it so good for FSX

Jeff

All

What are the loading time differences like between a 7200rpm HDD and an SSD?

At the moment it can take me up to 3-4 minutes from clicking on the FSX icon to finding myself in the cockpit and its bugging me.

Is there a huge difference in FSX loading time with an SSD?

If so would you put OS and FSX on it or OS on the HDD and FSX only on the SSD?

Cheers

Martin

I migrated from 3x 15k SAS drives in RAID0 on an Adaptec 9690SA (ie, about as fast as you can get with conventional hard disks) to a single Crucial 512Gb M4, albeit only on a SATA 3Gb controller. I haven't taken a stopwatch to it but the load times are swifter by a factor of at least 2. It is definitely a noticeable improvement.

Also, you don't need to worry about separating FSX from other applications /data if you have a big enough SSD. This is because, unlike conventional HDs, SSDs do not slow down merely because files become fragmented and/or are otherwise discontiguous. Instead, the decision whether or not to keep FSX on a separate drive is driven by (i) capacity (ii) cost and (iii) flexibility / possible ease of migration in future (you MIGHT find it easier to upscale your storage and/or migrate completely if you keep FSX on a separate drive, but it depends on your methods).

Tim

Tim

I want to get this SSD : Intel - SSDSC2CT120A3K5.

Is 120 GO enough for SFX + addons?

How to migrate FSX to this SSD?

Will it really improve loading time?

Oh, I forgot to say I'm not really a computer expert...

Anybody can help me?

Thank you for your posts, but there is no answer to my questions :( ....

Anybody can :O help?

Thank you in advance....

I use the combination, SSD and HDD.

Intel SSD, Windows 7 and FSX, P3D, FS9 only.

HDD, other programs, downloads, etc ...

The speed gain is great in all, the boot is very fast, the load of the simulators as well, but will vary depending on the amount of accessories that you use in simulators, third scenarios are the main villains.

In the case of Intel SSD, I use the tool weekly, Intel SSD Toolbox, Intel SSD Optimizer option.

Attention, defragment SSD, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ...

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

I want to get this SSD : Intel - SSDSC2CT120A3K5.

Is 120 GO enough for SFX + addons?

How to migrate FSX to this SSD?

Will it really improve loading time?

Oh, I forgot to say I'm not really a computer expert...

Anybody can help me?

I'll try to answer your question:

My Intel SSD, 180GB, after formatted, 160GB, or approximately 7% of all HD, SSD decreases in formatting.

In my case, 160GB SSD, are installed, Windows 7 64, FSX, P3D, FS9, REX OD +, Falcon BMS, some more airplanes, Carenado C90 and B200, 737NGX, CSIM 777, Embaer 175/195, ...

Some planes are duplicated in FSX and FS9 or FSX and P3D.

Do not use third-party scenarios.

I am always vigilant, have typically 60 GB free, the 100 GB is used.

I think that's for you to have an idea about the space occupied, in performance, no doubt, you will have more speed.

About data migration as well, Intel provides migration tool, but I have not used, I started from ground zero, new installation, everything.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

I have FSX running on a Kingston 560G SSD. That SSD has exclusively only FSX stuff, sceneries, etc. My OS and other programs are on a seperate 240G SSD. Just for grins, I checked my times.

From the time I hit the FSX icon till the first screen is 38.5 seconds.

From the time I hit the Fly Now button till the NGX is on screen is 23.3 seconds.

My corresponding result was

35 seconds

90 seconds (after loading NGX tutorial and all systems initialised) Why so much longer ?