Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

Any info FS9 ver. of PMDG 737

Hi guys,

I want to get the PMDG 737. I see that they released two different ones for FS9. Problem is I can't find it for sale on the PMDG website and has been sold out at the aviation shop near my house for a long time.

I'm only able to find one of them on the aerosoft website on a disc. It's the version that also includes the 700 series. I would also like to find the other 800/900 release but can't find it anywhere.

So I will be ordering the boxed one from aerosoft.

Can anybody tell me if it's a good one? I'm just a little surprised many stores are not selling them, including PMDG's website.

The PMDG 737NG was good for it's time, but most people now would agree that the best 737NG you can get for FS9 is the iFly version. You can't go wrong with the iFly, buy it from Flight 1 and you get a 30 days money back guarantee if you don't like it. I strongly recommend the iFly over the PMDG version for FS9. To clarify, I'm a very happy owner of the PMDG 747 & MD-11 for FS9 and their NGX for FSX. I just really believe the iFly is your best option here.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Hello. Thanks for advise about iFly 737NG. I`m not owner iFly 737NG, I still have not it. Prompt me please- is iFly model has a weather radar and jps ground map in the navigation display, like a real plane?(I not seen them at a screens in fs shops). If no- it will be good to see into iFly NG model contain wx and jps map under New Year, it will be great present =) And yet question- iFly exterior models is correct? Not worse then Opensky B-737NG models? To tell to truth I little not sure in correct exterior of iFly model, Opensky B-737NG exterior models I see they better(more correct). Thanks in advance.

I have both, iFly hands down. The PMDG did the job but it is in my boneyard.

Don't blame for my name, my parents were hippies and met in Woodstock

iFly is the best 737 available for FS9 - and maybe the best airliner addon of them all, though there are other contenders. But the one thing it does not have is a WX radar function. Other than that, it seems to reproduce almost perfectly all of the systems and capabilities of the real 737NG series.

The PMDG 737NG series did not include wxr radar. There was a non-supported merge with the Reality XP WX500 radar system that required some messaging to work.

PMDG's policy is that the FS engine does not have the capability of modeling precipitation echoes realistically. What most FS radar shows is cloud echos. In FS raindrops for instance are actually a texture layer and are not 3d objects.

I see that they released two different ones for FS9

The iFly, which I heartily recommend along with my fellow simmers, also has the advantage over the PMDG since it offers the 600. 700, 700er, 800, 900, 900er as well as the BBJ, BBJ2 and BBJ3 in the one package for the one price. It is also supported by FS2Crew (button& voice version) and Multi Crew Experience. Both Navigraph and NavDataPro airac's are supported (it comes with the latter as standard.)

Hope this is of help in determining your choices.

Thanks a lot for all your help guys.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear on my original post. I plan to get the ifly 737 very soon. I was actually suppose to get it last week, but when I was browsing through Flight1's website, I got too excited and ended up getting Ultimate Terrain Canada, Alaska, USA and Europe. Also got Ground Environment Pro. That's when I realized I had spent a little too much :lol: . I was only suppose to get the ifly lol.

The reason I'm interested in the PMDG 737 is because going by PMDG's description, it looks like it's somewhat "lighter" compared to ifly when it comes to system simulations.

I'm a huge fan of the "lite" aircrafts. I really enjoy the CLS stuff and Overland is not bad. I was thinking maybe the older PMDG 737 is somewhere between a CLS and the ifly.

Don't get me wrong. I still enjoy the more complicated aircrafts (PMDG MD-11), but I find myself flying the easier ones more often lately.

So do you guys think I'll still like the PMDG?

PMDG is indeed lighter in such a way that it doesn't have some of the systems the iFly has. But you can still basically do the same stuff in the PMDG as in the iFly to get the aircraft airborne and onto a flightplan using the FMC. You CAN interact with more system in the iFly but they are not necessary in order to get flying, except that iFly has IRS while PMDG doesn't.

The PMDG737 is the aircraft I've spent most hours in of all MSFS aircrafts I've flown since mid 90's when I got in flightsimming. It's IMO very bug free and won't give you nasty surprises, it's light on the fps while still having enough systems modelling to keep you occupied. It obvously has dated visuals, but not that bad that it hurts the eyes. Definitely one of the top classics in the MSFS world.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Hi Krister,

Thanks a lot for the informative post. I think I will get both the ifly and PMDG. Visuals is not that big of a deal. I understand it's an older add on and it's only $35 on the Aerosoft site.

Hi Krister,

Thanks a lot for the informative post. I think I will get both the ifly and PMDG. Visuals is not that big of a deal. I understand it's an older add on and it's only $35 on the Aerosoft site.

And remember, if you don't like the iFly, there's the 30 days money back guarantee. So nothing to lose. Let us know what you think.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I have both, iFly hands down. The PMDG did the job but it is in my boneyard.

iFly is the best 737 available for FS9... But the one thing it does not have is a WX radar function. Other than that, it seems to reproduce almost perfectly all of the systems and capabilities of the real 737NG series.

The PMDG 737NG series did not include wxr radar. There was a non-supported merge with the Reality XP WX500 radar system that required some messaging to work.

Great thanks to all. Lack of wx in the model of iFly is unpleasant(... Perhaps iFly not for me, and I'll consider buying a FT/Wilco 737CL, which has good a color wx(its great!).

PMDG's policy is that the FS engine does not have the capability of modeling precipitation echoes realistically. What most FS radar shows is cloud echos. In FS raindrops for instance are actually a texture layer and are not 3d objects.

Thanks. Ot understand... Is the iFly developers think the same about the wx radar that PMDG? But if at wx I look drawing of cumulus clouds-it`s correct. Because cumulus have often turbulence. I fly with this weather settings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rPabcGRbP88

which in fs2004 quite good generated(to try it). I.e. wx radar very need, isn`t it?

The Wilco/Feelthere 737 doesn't come anywhere near being as good as the iFly 737. It's your choice but I will tell you honestly that the FS9 version of the Wilco 737 is junk compared to the iFly. You will have weather radar - but you will also have an addon that is totally inferior in every possible way. When it first came out the Wilco 737 was okay - not great but okay. Now it is so far below current standards that unless it is on sale at 50% it is a waste of money. The iFly is so superior there's really no comparison - they are worlds apart

Be careful if wx radar is important. Some models just had a display that was fixed or not related to the wxr around the aircraft but just animated.