Sign in to follow this  
Comanche

Jetstream start up procedure video

I think its great when a developer takes the time to make a video showing the features of a model as well as the proper way to use it.

Rob

Notes:

- Minimum required voltage for battery start is 23,5V or 24V depending on the type of batteries (Lead-acid or NiCad), not 20V

- Avionic Masters are usually off for start

- Not required to reset the generators. If an overload is detected the generator control unit should disconnect them automatically and you can then reset them with the reset switch.

- HYD shut off valves and LP cocks are usually open by default, they are not closed on shutdown

- No simulation of the start locks? Props were feathered, you don't start these engines with feathered props.

- Fuel pumps are usually in the after take-off checks, not after start.

Not trying to bring the product down, in fact, I will probably buy X-Plane plus this addon after the coming weekend. Just kind of nervous that I can already put together a list of discrepancies between what he does and what I do when I fly the plane for a living, just by watching an engine start. Also, I don't know if any of these things are X-Plane limitations or not.

Very nice video and product!

Sorry for the off-topic XP10 question, but does anyone know what he is using to move the camera around like that with such accuracy?

I'm a fairly noob XP10 flier and use TrackIr and right mouse button to move the cameras in XP10, but miss the type of control I have with FSX and TrackIR+EZDok, but in that video it looked like I must be missing some very awesome similar camera control in X-Plane 10 (using latest betas)?

If anyone can point me in the right direction on where I can find how to control things like that, I'd be thankful and it would increase my X-plane comfort tenfold.

--John near KPAE

Hello Propane. I'll wait to hear from you what you think about the flight model and the behavior of this aircraft on final approaches. My impression is that the plane (the add-on) is too unstable on air, more noticeable on finals, but I'm not a real JS pilot. Anyway, the flight model can be fixed by editing if needed.

Not trying to bring the product down, in fact, I will probably buy X-Plane plus this addon after the coming weekend. Just kind of nervous that I can already put together a list of discrepancies between what he does and what I do when I fly the plane for a living, just by watching an engine start. Also, I don't know if any of these things are X-Plane limitations or not.

Well, I can give you a little input right now. The real aircraft is usually pretty stable during cruise, but only if you trim it correctly, and if the aircraft is set up correctly. If you trim it nicely, you can just lean back and it's like having the auto pilot on. On approach, it can get a bit less stable and the controls will become less effective. If you keep about 130-140kts during the approach it should be quite nice, and all you'll have to do is get a feel for when to reduce to have Vref over the threshold, and when to flare.

I will try to get more into it next week. Will have to download X-Plane first, I'm literally buying it for this addon, because FSX doesn't have a decent JS31/32 available :P.

Sorry for the off-topic XP10 question, but does anyone know what he is using to move the camera around like that with such accuracy?

I'm a fairly noob XP10 flier and use TrackIr and right mouse button to move the cameras in XP10, but miss the type of control I have with FSX and TrackIR+EZDok, but in that video it looked like I must be missing some very awesome similar camera control in X-Plane 10 (using latest betas)?

If anyone can point me in the right direction on where I can find how to control things like that, I'd be thankful and it would increase my X-plane comfort tenfold.

You can preset your views.

Example:

If you want to set a preset for the center section of the panel. Move the view to where you want it. When you're happy, press CTRL X (Where X is a number on the NUMPAD).

When you want to change the view to the center panel, simply press X (Where X is the number you used in the previous step). DO NOT press CTRL.

Repeat for other views (Up to 10)

He's using TrackIR.

Founder of X-Aviation

Thanks GoranM and CameronB, I thought it must be some custom plug-in, but looks like I just need to check out the custom camera mapping then, much appreciated.

--John near KPAE

You can preset your views.

Example:

If you want to set a preset for the center section of the panel. Move the view to where you want it. When you're happy, press CTRL X (Where X is a number on the NUMPAD).

When you want to change the view to the center panel, simply press X (Where X is the number you used in the previous step). DO NOT press CTRL.

Repeat for other views (Up to 10)

Didn't know that Goran, thanks. Still using PilotView plugin.

Glen

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

Rob,

Thanks for posting these videos. Wish I'd had them when I was trying to figure out how to fly this beast a few nights ago. Yes, I know there's a manual, but I never look at those until I've had a crack at attempting to fly. Besides, the manuals make more sense after you've familiarized yourself with the cockpit.

Tom

Notes:

- Minimum required voltage for battery start is 23,5V or 24V depending on the type of batteries (Lead-acid or NiCad), not 20V

- Avionic Masters are usually off for start

- Not required to reset the generators. If an overload is detected the generator control unit should disconnect them automatically and you can then reset them with the reset switch.

- HYD shut off valves and LP cocks are usually open by default, they are not closed on shutdown

- No simulation of the start locks? Props were feathered, you don't start these engines with feathered props.

- Fuel pumps are usually in the after take-off checks, not after start.

Hi Propane. I too have a few thousand hours in the J31/32. I concur with all your assesments.

I was totally confused on his start up procedures. Looked like he was mixing noraml auto starts with manual starts...ie using the fuel enrich button. Hated started that way. ;-)

Start locks is a definete for a TPE 331 simulation. I don't have X-plane either, so don't know the design limits.

Was gonna get it, just for he MU-2, but now since Mil Viz is doing one for FSX, I'll hold off I think. Been over 20 years since I flew one, but watching the vid brought back some memories.

I believe, the dev can have a really good sim of the J31/32 as he refines some of the issues...if possible with x-plane.

Nice plane and panel and features. If someone produced a good one in FSX, I would probably buy it.

Best,

David

Hi Propane. I too have a few thousand hours in the J31/32. I concur with all your assesments.

I was totally confused on his start up procedures. Looked like he was mixing noraml auto starts with manual starts...ie using the fuel enrich button. Hated started that way. ;-)

Hi David! I posted my comments on the X-Pilot forums as well, as the developer and publisher are more active and have their support forum over there.

He posted some valid responses, and has had input from two other pilots during development. It just seems a bit odd that no one I fly with employs some of the methods that they apparently told him. I fly with captains who used to work at three or four other companies flying Jetstreams, but they all fly basically the same.

I don't have the amount of hours you have on the aircraft, as mine are still in the hundreds, but loving every minute so far. Love these aircraft... play with the big league during arrival and approach into larger airports, while flying all manual and dealing with older technology :).