Sign in to follow this  
Dash8Q4

Winter storm wx

Hi all,

For those who like flying approaches into low IFR weather for the fun of breaking out of cloud and trying to land in blowing snow with strong winds; keep an eye on the east coast of canada.

Environment canada has issued a winter storm watch for St. John's and vicinity. CYYT is the airport ident.

more info here. YYT webcam here. YYT charts here.

Hope to see some of you there tomorrow night!

pd:test those wx engines and our skills.

Hi all,

For those who like flying approaches into low IFR weather for the fun of breaking out of cloud and trying to land in blowing snow with strong winds; keep an eye on the east coast of canada.

Environment canada has issued a winter storm watch for St. John's and vicinity. CYYT is the airport ident.

more info here. YYT webcam here. YYT charts here.

Hope to see some of you there tomorrow night!

pd:test those wx engines and our skills.

nice pic

I wish FSX could produce weather like in the picture in the winter. That is my favorite kind of weather.

xplane 10 has blowing snow on runways, :O oh oh I think I just started another versus thread :lol:................FSX :t0148: Xplane10

Winter Storm wx

I looked at the thread title and thought:

"I wonder what winter storm wax is?

Is that something you put in your gas or diesel to keep it from thickening or freezing with the cold, or maybe something you might smear on machinery to keep it from freezing solid?

Then of course I looked a little closer...

I had far, far too little sleep last night! One thing for sure, my head was not up in the clouds.

I wish FSX could produce weather like in the picture in the winter.

Huh?? I thought that WAS FSX. :D I had to look again to be sure.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Winter Storm wx

I looked at the thread title and thought:

"I wonder what winter storm wax is?

Is that something you put in your gas or diesel to keep it from thickening or freezing with the cold, or maybe something you might smear on machinery to keep it from freezing solid?

Then of course I looked a little closer...

I had far, far too little sleep last night! One thing for sure, my head was not up in the clouds.

:LMAO: winter wax

Is that something you put in your gas or diesel to keep it from thickening or freezing with the cold

hehe! You put kerosine in your diesel to keep it from turning into something resembling wax. And when it gets *really* cold, you let it idle all night. Ah, the joys of a diesel car.

Hook

Larry Hookins

I wish FSX could produce weather like in the picture in the winter. That is my favorite kind of weather.

Mine too, if I didn't have to battle it with my showel...

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Yes sir, know all about it!

I bought a brand new Peugeot 505 TurboDiesel that would not start for weeks at a time in northern Alberta during the winter. Everyday, dispite being plugged in (both block and battery heater), it would fire the glow plugs, turn over and over, but never, ever start when it was below minus anything Farenheit!

A neighbour lady told my wife that her (retired) husband would get up early each morning just to watch me bundle up and try and try again. He told her that he should work out a deal with me to let him call the towing company each time he sees me to try and get a referral fee, which he would split with me.

It is no wonder Peugeot pulled out of the great white north. I probably added significantly to the French national debt.

OK, guilty of highjacking thread...back to weather!

Kind regards,

it would fire the glow plugs, turn over and over, but never, ever start when it was below minus anything Farenheit!

My Mercedes 300D never actually failed to start, but came close a couple of times when the Texas temperature got below 20F. Sometimes it took pumping the gas pedal like a madman after the first cylinder showed signs of life. At least that seemed to help. You have to keep a really close eye on the fuel filters on those things. It had a battery that would probably start at least one engine on a 747.

I was talking to my barber (back in the days when I had enough hair to warrant having one) about his brother who lived in Alaska. He left his Mercedes diesel idling all night when it got sufficiently cold. It's not like it would overheat, and idling all night probably used less fuel than trying to get it started in the morning.

This does have some application to the topic. I've got the A2A Cub with Accu-Feel, and trying to get it started in Alaska when the temp is -27F is rather interesting. I've also got the A2A B377 Stratocruiser, but I haven't taken it to the great frozen north yet. There are several threads on the A2A forums about getting the engines started in extreme cold... like -50. So right now, cold weather starts are much on my mind.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Active Sky Essentials will pretty much give you this kind of wx presentation.

Active Sky Essentials will pretty much give you this kind of wx presentation.

Yeah. And I use AS2012 with similar results.

Seriously, my first thought was, "How did he get that screen shot with his aircraft so far off center?" then figured it wasn't his aircraft. It wasn't until Scarlett pointed it out that I realized it wasn't a FSX screen shot.

Hook

Larry Hookins

FSX does and can produce wx just like the pic. REX Essential or AS2012 both have the runway snow effect, and OPUS FSX does an amazing job of simulating low vis the same can be said about AS2012 with the latest build 4755 installed.

Not sure about the REX weather engine as I have never used it and most people use either AS2012 or OPUS.

Hmm, I feel a few short hops from YQX-YYT coming on. Bring on the winter wax, oops I mean winter wx.

Cheers from YQX,

Ray

We never get weather like that in the UK! Its been 13degrees C for past few days and we haven't seen any snow yet this winter, doubt we will now.

that picture was taken in CYUL jan 6 by a co-worker who had just landed. Smooth touchdown. Just dry snow/blowing snow.