Sign in to follow this  
WR269

Yet another 787 Emergency landing - ANA

Interesting video...you can clearly see the smoke coming down a ventilation hatch just aft of the nose wheel...

So much for what Boeing said were "normal teething problems".....but I have to say, grounding the aircraft by the FAA actually starts to give me confidence in the aircraft...until yesterday I was decidedly against flying in a 787, specially in long over water legs...

Grounding by the FAA will lead to modifications (hopefully) and give Boeing time to review and modify, giving the industry a better aircraft.

You're quick Ro! Yes, grounded.

LOL, we pilots are amazing gossips... There's no rumour we haven't heard 20 mins before it was first told... ^_^ :P :rolleyes:

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

This just in! VATSIM has grounded all 787 flights!!

j/k...

joking aside, it looks like (from the video up there) that the fire might have broken out during initial take-off. The aircraft is pulled onto a side taxiway next to the runway. It could be the engine generators overloading the battery relay causing the batteries to burn....

This just in! VATSIM has grounded all 787 flights!!

j/k...

joking aside, it looks like (from the video up there) that the fire might have broken out during initial take-off. The aircraft is pulled onto a side taxiway next to the runway. It could be the engine generators overloading the battery relay causing the batteries to burn....

I believe aircraft was at Top of descent when pilots allegedly got warnings regarding high temperatures in the battery compartment. Passengers state the descent was so fast and steep that cups and other items started rolling forward in the cabin.

Upon landing, the crew were advised of visible smoke at the front of the aircratft. By then, the crew could smeel burning so decided to evacuate.

I believe aircraft was at Top of descent when pilots allegedly got warnings regarding high temperatures in the battery compartment. Passengers state the descent was so fast and steep that cups and other items started rolling forward in the cabin.

Upon landing, the crew were advised of visible smoke at the front of the aircratft. By then, the crew could smeel burning so decided to evacuate.

WOW! that's way worse than I thought! YIKES!

I believe aircraft was at Top of descent when pilots allegedly got warnings regarding high temperatures in the battery compartment.

According to what I read here (from Rónán’s link), the plane was at cruise altitude and still far from its destination Tokyo. (the article says 400 NM, but it is like 300+ NM).

They had/or decided to do an emergency landing at Shikoku Island's Takamatsu Airport

See here from Skyvector

Cheers.

Ah, that makes it even worse! I thought at least it had reached its destination.

Also, it has just been announced a Qatar 787 is grounded at Heathrow with hydraulics problems...boy, what a nightmare!

.boy, what a nightmare!

True, so very true!

I really hope they (Boeing et. al.) sort things out soon.

That airplane, with so many technological advancements should be destined to rule the Skies for many years.

Cheers.

I hope all these problems are fixed soon, as I was looking forward to the first 787 flight to PER on the 1st of Feb. I don't think it will happen until a later date now :(. Better to be safe than sorry though.

does other airliners use these types of batteries (Ion-Lithium)? Maybe the problem is there is something in the environmental conditions of flight that these batteries could be having a negative reaction to (ie: Pressure)

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

does other airliners use these types of batteries (Ion-Lithium)? Maybe the problem is there is something in the environmental conditions of flight that these batteries could be having a negative reaction to (ie: Pressure)

They are not usually carried in Pax flights, only dedicated freight I believe, but even then, they are not classified as dangerous goods.

The crash of an UPS 747 in Dubai a few years back showed a specific recommendation around the carriage of Lithium batteries to maximise containment...also see this

http://avherald.com/h?article=431f0863&opt=0

Will be interesting to understand what they uncover, but I am placing my bets on a redesign of some sort, which will mean further delays to the programme.