Sign in to follow this  
CDR_Shark

AES or GSX

Definitely GSX!

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

AES seems to be required with some scenery designer's airports if you want the jetways to even move (a HUGE pet peeve of mine) so it's more of a necessity with a few of the payware stuff out there (why for the life of me they would go to all that trouble to have static jetways is another topic lol). But I definitely agree with the above posters for most everything else GSX all the way, it works at every airport in FSX that supports your aircraft size, it's customizable, always being updated and it looks GOOD.

Why not both?

GSX is looked at a replacement for AES when in some crucial ways, it isn't.

GSX Pros :

1. Works with all airports (default, FSDT (obviously) and 3rd party developers*)

2. A major enhancement with eye candy and sound immersion over AES

3. Works with all aircraft automatically without needing to set up access areas such as pax doors, cargo doors, etc.

GSX Cons :

1. (In reference to the '*' I put next to 3rd party developers) Jetways will not work unless they are coded in the way default FSX jetways work. Big let down as most developers use custom coding here.

2. Push back and other vehicles might jump out of areas where there is a building, other static objects, etc at busy terminals.

3. Push back tugs might not push you and guide you to a stand according to their actual location marked by parking textures.

AES Pros :

1. Works at all AES enabled airports. This is a big plus in my opinion as lots of airports developed are made AES compatible.

2. Jetways, push back tugs, other enhancements will work correctly as they are coded individually for each AES enabled airport.

3. No weird movements or vehicles spawning inside a building, etc.

AES Cons :

1. Not all airports are AES compatible.

2. Pay for AES credits separately to enable airports.

3. Less eye candy and functionality.

4. You're required to set exact access area locations on your aircraft for AES to work and place vehicles correctly.

To end, I use both. At non AES airports, I make full use of GSX but at airports that support AES, I use AES for jet ways exclusively while all other handling is done by GSX.

2. Push back and other vehicles might jump out of areas where there is a building, other static objects, etc at busy terminals.

That isn't really a problem anymore with the parking space graphical editor since you can basically just go outside the a/c in spot view then use the GUI to move the tug, vehicles, cargo palettes, lugage, etc. around to where you want them to be located, then save the file and the next time you fly to that airport all the objects will be where you want them at that particular gate.

The good part is that you can highly customize all your airports to have the objects where you want them, but of course the bad part is that you have to do it yourself and spend the time. Although depending on the airlines you fly most often and the gates they use, you may not have to do that much work since it could come down to only having to modify a few gates here and there.

For me, since I primarily fly American liveries, when I buy a new airport, i'll find out which gates American uses, load a flight with the NGX to that airport and then customize all the parking spaces that American uses, then save the file and i'm done. Takes anywhere from 30 minutes or more depending on the layout of the gates and how misplaced the GSX objects are in relation to the terminal, jetway, static objects, etc.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That isn't really a problem anymore with the parking space graphical editor since you can basically just go outside the a/c in spot view then use the GUI to move the tug, vehicles, cargo palettes, lugage, etc. around to where you want them to be located, then save the file and the next time you fly to that airport all the objects will be where you want them at that particular gate.

The good part is that you can highly customize all your airports to have the objects where you want them, but of course the bad part is that you have to do it yourself and spend the time. Although depending on the airlines you fly most often and the gates they use, you may not have to do that much work since it could come down to only having to modify a few gates here and there.

For me, since I primarily fly American liveries, when I buy a new airport, i'll find out which gates American uses, load a flight with the NGX to that airport and then customize all the parking spaces that American uses, then save the file and i'm done. Takes anywhere from 30 minutes or more depending on the layout of the gates and how misplaced the GSX objects are in relation to the terminal, jetway, static objects, etc.

Indeed. Apologies for skipping out on that detail.

I went for gsx, cause I was worried with overpaying with aes. And yes, it has added the fun factor.

Like always with fsx, the tuning is too troublesome but I can live with those few anomalies, like stairs pushed over the engines etc. The tuning should be done outside fsx as the setting interface opens somewhere and you have to jump between fsx and the interface. This usually leads into a freeze, so i don't touch the settings. Maybe AES is better in usability?

I think I agree with Karan, sure GSX is probably everyone's favourite, including my own, but I have found some anomolies. The biggest pain I have found with GSX is the follow me vehicle after landing. I would say 15% of the time it either may not appear or it would drive across the grass and not stick to the taxiways. Because AES has been designed for specific airports it is likely, I suspect, to be more accurate. One thing that gripes me too is that with GSX, you can't call up any of the services unless you start from cold and dark! Anyhow, I agree with the main consensus and given a choice between the two I'd go for GSX :smile:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

One thing that gripes me too is that with GSX, you can't call up any of the services unless you start from cold and dark!

The only prerequisite is "parking brake on" and possibly engines off depending on what you want to call, you most certainly don't have to be cold and dark Howard. GSX even tells you on screen via a dialogue popup when you try to load it without the brake on to set it first then try again.

Cheers, Andy.

Howard, thanks for pointing that out. Although I've rarely called upon the 'follow me' vehicle, they do seem to be confused about where to go and how to get there. On the plus side, GSX is updated quite frequently and I love the fact that you can update on the fly without having to close down FSX.

The only prerequisite is "parking brake on" and possibly engines off depending on what you want to call, you most certainly don't have to be cold and dark Howard. GSX even tells you on screen via a dialogue popup when you try to load it without the brake on to set it first then try again.

Hi Andy, thanks for pointing that out to me. Something else I have learnt today...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I have both and must say both are very good. The reason I enjoy both is simply the jetway extension on many of the newer payware airports which AES can provide. Most have static jetways and AES makes them come alive which is important to me. GSX makes the most sense as far as cost is concerned but if your in need of active jetways then look into AES.