Sign in to follow this  
Jean-Paul

ORBX FTX EU England SP1 released

It's out and available here (488 MB)

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Yes, thankyou Jean Paul

Chris Howard

What's fixed? ...and still needs some attention? The release notification says a lot of work has gione into it (which let me say I don't doubt) but doesn't mention specifics other than saying it addresses some of the issues raised? Downloaded but haven't had time to apply it or use it yet.

Geoff

Geoff Brown

I touched upon England in my ongoing landclass review and ORBX was the most accurate, even better than UTX. So whatever the flaws, I guess there is nothing better unless you like flying over flat photographs.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Just looked back at the points I made in this thread http://forum.avsim.n...nk/page__st__50.

So few of these appear to have been addressed that if it weren't for the thinning out of trees in Hyde Park I'd have thought the patch hadn't installed at all?! There still seems to be a lot of Dali'esque melted bridges around London and the docks North of London City look like a Florida housing development!

All I can say is that I hope there's a team still working on further patches.

Reading back over some folks posts I stumbled across one that said that Sellafield looked almost photoreal. The Entire Power station at Dungeness (can't miss it if you look for Lydd on Google Earth or Bing) isn't there.

Dover harbour isn't changed at all and still has totally inappropriate "ferries" (infuriating when a ship moored against where one of the quays should be looks more like the ships that should be there) and sand bars where there should be quays and harbour walls.

Obviously my interest is in areas I've flown over so there are many parts of the country I've yet to explore. If so much work has been done and I see so little where exactly has it been done? Certainly some of the town/road alignment issues are no better?

I'm not trying to "flame" here it's just that in the areas I've looked at I see little if any improvement so there must be a lot changed elsewhere?

BTW I checked the zip for errors, RTFM, and had no problems with the iinstallation that reported so I have to assume it worked. If I missed a step feel free to shout me down because I really wanted to be posting "Oh that's MUCH better....." :huh:

Geoff Brown

Would you say that there is a better alternative out there Geoff, or is ORBX the best England scenery despite its flaws?

Would you say that there is a better alternative out there Geoff, or is ORBX the best England scenery despite its flaws?

My post is NOT to discuss such matters.

I have bought (as in paid hard cash for) ORBX ENG, as I have bought all their previous "regions" and a good few airfields. I am not a troll trying to trash FTX/ORBX (why two names? BTW) I am a customer.

Therefore my post stands as such. I'm not interested in anyone who wants to create a flame from it (not aimed at posters here so far) but merely to find out what the experience of other customers is?

As I'm a Brit lets take the analogy of the Spitfire? It went through 24 Marks! 24 "Upgrades". Pretty unique for any piece of engineering?

Why? Because the basic package was good and there was a will to make it even better! 24 times better. I'm not "demanding" 24 patches for any software. I'm merely stating that as FTX have built at least 3 or 4 "marks" of a good product they could improve the latest further. If we'd have given up on doing that a few decades ago I might not be here to post this ^_^ but because we didn't one of many legends were born. I want FTX to be a "legend" not an "also ran".

Comparisons with other products should/MUST be made. However that's little help to those who made a choice and "placed their bet"?

Geoff Brown

Relax a little Geoff, a simple yes/no would have sufficed :) I just wanted to know since I haven't bought FTX England, but would consider the whole united kingdom when Scotland is released down the road.

I have also wondered about the FTX and ORBX brands. Kinda confusing, but then again I'm too lazy to try and figure it out.

It's so hard to read "tone of voice" out of text, so it's no wonder we misunderstand eachother from time to time.

I think ORBX has done a really good job as far as I can tell, except the odd texture glitch with pastures diving into the sea in various places and such, but other than that I quite like it. But I don't have much to compare it to, I don't have any of the alternatives for the UK.

It's so hard to read "tone of voice" out of text, so it's no wonder we misunderstand eachother from time to time.

I think ORBX has done a really good job as far as I can tell, except the odd texture glitch with pastures diving into the sea in various places and such, but other than that I quite like it. But I don't have much to compare it to, I don't have any of the alternatives for the UK.

Thanks!

Yep, with text it is often best to use pinches of salt and cut the writer some slack and so on. I'm no racer with those emicons or whatever they're called either. :)

Simmerhead, as I said.....

not aimed at posters here so far
:lol:

....but I've been around Simming forums for eleven years and I know how threads get hi-jacked, distorted and dragged off topic. I'd be the first to agree that your attempts to compare the options is the way to go. Just that this thread is specifically about a long awaited, and IMHO, very necessary patch. What I wanted to hear was what others had gained from it? I have issues with the content, or to be precise missing content, but othere were having various compatability issues.

Just want to keep this thread specific to the patch that was all :mellow: .

Geoff

Geoff Brown

I have also wondered about the FTX and ORBX brands. Kinda confusing, but then again I'm too lazy to try and figure it out.

FTX refers to their Full Terrain products such as the latest which is England and Orbx of course is the name of the company as a whole. : )

Kind Regards

Simon.

Positives: The great clumps of brown autumnal trees have been superseded by more natural looking colours. The traffic, as far as I could tell, is now staying on the roads. Winter looked good.

Negatives: The roads still look...false

There is still a socking great smoking chimney in the middle of Chelmsford! I'm not sure but on the basis of that I'd say there are still random smoking chimneys stuck in the middle of fields.

I'll still be PNWing and AUS/NZing for some time to come. Shame, because my local airfield, Stapleford, is on it's way and looking really good!

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

@Geoff

Did you ever make a constructive post about your finding with screen shots etc and how it should be?

Because I made some and the most important one for me was the approach to EMA, there where house's (Kegworth) all the way upto the M1. SP1 Orbx fixed it.

ME8lf.jpg

Also we English want our area to be photo real and that's not what Orbx do. If you find fault post about it, I did and now it's fixed.

When you fly PNW or NZ you have no idea what should be there and what is missing, we are all going to see the faults in ENG. Would you know if a ferrie is wrong in a NZ harbour?

The English team seen open to fixing what they can so show them and show them also what you want it to look like.

You guys know me well enough that if I did not like it I would say, but I think ENG looks amazing and "feels" like England. I love it so much I only fly Orbx ENG and use UK2000 airports. I'am a very happy chap.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip