Sign in to follow this  
simmerhead

Addons that ruined my day

Maybe the developers listen too much to the wrong people and work towards the wrong segments of the market?

Perhaps, but definitely I have seen praise, and that's what keep me going.

It's not the loudness of the voice that determines the degree of truth being told.

Well I am glad you said that. How I wish every single person who "over"demand something read this. No matter how loud they are, some things wont come even if they shout it out.

In the end a developer need to follow his/her own heart. If you don't have a passion and drive for what you are doing it will show in the product. The transission from doing art as a hobby to a business is not easy and a balancing act I've seen very few master.

Well, most developers start with the passion and drive to always try to do that thing that others cant or, enjoy the sweet labor after completing what they done (say FBW for example) What stops most developers after is the same, piracy, lack of motivation due to certain very nasty non-deserved comments etc. Its tiring to deal with customers who think they have absolute rights, and threaten to sue this sue that, or threaten not to buy anything more from etc etc.

End of story is, If you like the developer or want to encourage the developer, go ahead and write it on the forums to keep them going :lol: (hint hint lol).

Joshua C.

WSSS

coloraerosofta320extdev.png

If you only work for "praise the lord/developer" posts in forums, maybe you are "working" in the wrong business?

Normally, costumers only start to "demand" things before the release of the product (normal and useful for marketing analyses) or after the release of the product ( very intensive, if listed features are not implemented.)

Costumers get very angry if promised features on the product page are not included or the developer starts explaining what he thinks, a feature "means" for him. ( hint hint "managed descent") :wink:

If you only work for "praise the lord/developer" posts in forums, maybe you are "working" in the wrong business?

Normally, costumers only start to "demand" things before the release of the product (normal and useful for marketing analyses)

I think I said enough here.

or after the release of the product ( very intensive, if listed features are not implemented.)

Not true.

Costumers get very angry if promised features on the product page are not included or the developer starts explaining what he thinks, a feature "means" for him. ( hint hint "managed descent")

Hint hint, read and use the search button on the aerosoft forum.

Joshua C.

WSSS

View Postsimmerhead, on 06 February 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

It's not the loudness of the voice that determines the degree of truth being told.

Well I am glad you said that. How I wish every single person who "over"demand something read this. No matter how loud they are, some things wont come even if they shout it out.

Perhaps because some developers are simply not able to implement some features other developers have already included?

Well, most developers start with the passion and drive to always try to do that thing that others cant or, enjoy the sweet labor after completing what they done (say FBW for example) What stops most developers after is the same, piracy, lack of motivation due to certain very nasty non-deserved comments etc. Its tiring to deal with customers who think they have absolute rights, and threaten to sue this sue that, or threaten not to buy anything more from etc etc.

End of story is, If you like the developer or want to encourage the developer, go ahead and write it on the forums to keep them going :lol: (hint hint lol).

I don't get you one this statement. Is it the responsibility of the costumer to encourage or motivate the developer? I have never seen some from BMW or NASA or actually nobody talking like this. Oh wait, except for little kids...

We have to PAY for the product in the end. So if you like us to buy a second product, you shold be worried about making us happy costumers!

Costumers get very angry if promised features on the product page are not included or the developer starts explaining what he thinks, a feature "means" for him. ( hint hint "managed descent")

Hint hint, read and use the search button on the aerosoft forum.

Yeah, so that it he can read the adoration of some people there? I can believe them when they say it is great product compared to the standard Airbus X, but it's nowhere near the expectations of costumers used to aircraft like PMDG NGX or A2A's P-51.

@CAT3Dual: I totally agree!!!! You're not alone with that opinion!

Perhaps because some developers are simply not able to implement some features other developers have already included?

Nope, I have already implemented it. Looks like you are not reading the forums well enough.

I don't get you one this statement. Is it the responsibility of the costumer to encourage or motivate the developer?

Nope, but a cut of sacrasm would be good.

We have to PAY for the product in the end. So if you like us to buy a second product, you shold be worried about making us happy costumers!

Nope I am not worried, since this is my last project. Besides, the saying goes, you shouldnt satify a wants of a spoiled brat.

but it's nowhere near the expectations of costumers used to aircraft like PMDG NGX or A2A's P-51.

and never was intended to be.

I will stop futher commenting here, since its getting real off topic from the OP intended topic.

Joshua C.

WSSS

I don't mind Joshua.

As for critisism it is rarely balanced, and in case someone wondered I was perfectly happy with the airports themselves. It was the forced entry into my pure and innocent FSX that caused my rant.

Again, much of the debate, rants and confusion comes from the chaotic addon scene where few developers share the same standards. It is what makes people pull out their hair trying to get things working, and comparing apples and oranges since most people wouldn't know where the fidelity of Aerosoft ends and PMDG begins.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

In the payware business, the customer is king, because he/she ultimately decides which developers stay in business through continued purchase or not.

A developer annoys me enough with unfulfilled promises or bad support (this is no hidden implication that AS or anyone in particular here is being accused of this here), what do I do? I don't buy from them again. I do not even need to threaten it in a public or private support forum. I just act. Enough customers acting similarly and the books just don't add up at the end of the financial year.

Being successful in any paid software development is not just about coding a good product.

A

Andrew Entwistle

Customer is king in any a market where there are plenty of substitues. That is rarely the case in the addon business.

I think that we need to take a break from abusing the developer. I have messed a little with gmax, and am amazed by the amount of work and effort that they put in. If you are going to talk about bad support, talk to Microsoft. You will need to wait forever if you want anything than the automated activation voice, yet we all continually buy the product. Developers commit there life to keeping us the customers haapy, and I think that we should at least give them some credit. I know that not everyone on these forums can make an fmc, that even comes close to what some developers make (if I could make an fmc, well I might be doing something else with my life, that involves making planes).

I think that we need to take a break from abusing the developer. I have messed a little with gmax, and am amazed by the amount of work and effort that they put in. If you are going to talk about bad support, talk to Microsoft. You will need to wait forever if you want anything than the automated activation voice, yet we all continually buy the product. Developers commit there life to keeping us the customers haapy, and I think that we should at least give them some credit. I know that not everyone on these forums can make an fmc, that even comes close to what some developers make (if I could make an fmc, well I might be doing something else with my life, that involves making planes).

Noone is being abused. Most developers create stunning things, no doubt. I just want them to give me some options in the installer so I can have control over what is being done to my FSX copy on my computer. Not everyone in these forums can repair a car either. That doesn't exclude them from having an opinion about work being done on their car.

As with most software platforms it is best to establish a stable baseline before adding any new. FSX especially is sensitive to configuration changes. The key to success is to document (and save your configuration files) for your baseline so you can always revert back to it when needed. This also pertains to your hardware and drivers.

Things to pay attention to are registered executable's in your exe.xml your controls.cfg and fsx.cfg. These should be backed up for your baseline configuration so you can revert back to them if needed.

My current FSX baseline goes back to 2009 and still serves me well for my last 3 hardware / OS platforms.

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

The customer buys the software and the licence agreement pops up. The customer has two choices at this point even though they have paid for the software.

Choice one is to decline. This ensures that nothing is loaded into their PC the cost of the software is put down to experience.

Choice two is to accept. This loads the software including the support modules where ever they may need to go.

Choice two however, should not alter or change any other installed programme in the users system without the prior acceptance from the user.

The users system should be left in a working state after the install has completed.

Everyone's happy.

As we all know the latter is not always the case. Loading ANY software onto your PC is a risk.

If this can is proved to be the software's fault then steps need to be taken by the user to feedback the issue and the developer to ensure a fix and compensation is provided.

I don't 'get' what the discussion is about. If you accept the licence agreement what gets loaded is to make the software do what you brought it to do. What it loads and where is immaterial. If its malicious then that's a different debate.

Back to the original topic...

I think you are 100% correct simmerhead. We thrive to make our simulated experiance the best we can with this tweak, and that add-on, and all our peripherals...only to be left angry when they stop working.

Some fall back on the good ol' blame-microsoft-for-a-sloppy-program routine. But when it comes down to it, if a developer intends to sell a single addon feature (often for a much higher retail price than the base software) they had better find a standard way to make sure that they don't interfere with the users experiance with all the other things going on in a "typical" computer running the same base software for which the add-on was designed. That is just a simple fact. FSX, on it's own, unaltered, will run excellently on most modern systems.

I posted recently on a similar thought, that it would seem to me that all the people who post complaints or request help in the forums with various system faults and crashes, tend to run very high levels of various add-ons. I do not fault them for that at all. I am always happy to see a thriving commercial market exists around my hobby (our hobby would not exist as it does otherwise). Which puts us right back to this topic....

Now, I have a very simple and effective solution. I have taken heat for this (don't understand why, since it is my personal preference), but what I do is simulate flight, and forget about how detailed the FBO building is. That is, I don't worry about how good a tree looks, or how many skid marks show up on the runway. There is a tree....it is maybe not a pretty tree, but hey...I can tell it's a tree. There is the runway....it isn't littered with burned rubber marks...but i can sure tell it's a runway and I think I'll land there. The basic principals are there. The airplane starts. It gets taxied to a runway. I put it in the air. I land and go park it.

When it comes to add-ons, I prefer the freeware guys. They are doing it for exactly the same reason I am. Pleasure. Another facet of the HOBBY. I have not purchased a single add-on for FSX since I bought it when it was a new release (pre SP1). And I must say I use it routinely, several times a week, with not a single problem. And I love everyminute of it.

So please just consider this as nothing more than a view from the other side of the fence. I do not at all disapprove of payware. It is good for those who like it, it is good for the economy ofthe hobby, but does it really need to be so hard to manage for a hobby? It sucks the pleasure out of it pretty fast, and just makes us argue about the little things that don't matter.

peggar74, I had exactly the same attitude as you, when I first started. Then I bought my first payware, and that was that. I then started messing around and trying to build new airports and things like that, and gained respect for all of the work they do each day.

Any problems with the game is pure user error. Go through your FSX install and do all the fixes. uianimation dll, highmemfix line in the cfg file, and remove duplicate afcads, corrupted textures, empty scenery texture folders, etc. Once you do that, there will be no OOM errors, no crashes or freezes. Nothing. FSX is a very very stable program once you find the small problems.

I like sliders almost fully to the right, so I suffer low FPS. But even in Orbx scenery, with FSDT YVR, the NGX, I do not crash or get OOM errors. My FPS might be between 10-20 because of overcast weather and 8x AA, 16x AF, and 2x SGSS but it is smooth and stable.