Sign in to follow this  
Dyos787

Beta testining candidate?

Guys, I'm almost positive there are no "TSA rules" about flight deck visits on the ground in the US - it's just in-flight. I don't think the in-flight ban started with 9/11 either.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

the rule that talks about admission to the flight deck is CFR 121.547, it has nothing to do with TSA, it is a FAA rule.

Cristian Caicedo

Real nice picture.

If all children are banned from the flightdecks, we will be facing a huge shortage of commercial pilots in the coming years.

Many times, a small experience like this will make a life-long aviator.

Cristian, is correct there are rules. Now finding a Flight Standards Aviation Safety Inspector (ASI) that would enforce this rule on the ground in situation mention above, would be slim. Most people with-in enforcement should be and are familiar with "letter of the law & spirit of the law". Most of us with-in the aviation community know that giving someone a look up front is what can inspire a dream. Yes, a lot has changed after 9/11 no doubt. Makes my brain boil what 9/11 was and its effects on aviation/commercial travel. I am sure this would be a case by case situation but I don't know any ASI that would actually enforce this rule while sitting at the gate...

I forgot to mention.... Sweet pic.. I just recently traveled to NZ and what a wonderful country. I purchased a few pieces of "All Blacks" gear. I was impressed with Air New Zealand and their staff. Wish I flew out of LAX just so I could have been on the T7.

5Take Care, Will Clark

My computer: Intel 14900K, Motherboard ROR Maximus Z790 Formula, PSU Dark Power 1600, Ram DDR5 (7200) Vengeance 32GB CL38, ASUS 4090, Keyboard Logitech ASUS, Mouse ROCCAT LEADR Wireless, Corsair M.2 SSD 4TB x2, Headset Astro A50 Wireless, Microphone Elgato Wave 3, Stream Deck Elgato XL, GoXLR, Loopdeck Live, Chair Steelcase Gesture with Headrest, Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG White, Custom Built water cooling, Ek Lian li xl distro plate, Fittings EK & Bitspower, Monitor LG C1 48 OLED, Desk Speakers Audio Engine A5+ White.

Agreed, New Zealand is the most beautiful country in the world in my eyes and ANZ is a fantastic airline.

Adam

Great photo looks like one happy kid! And the TSA is why I don't fly anywhere ever anymore. My overseas days are over. I refuse to give up my rights for false security just to get so e where quicker. Driving is prettier anyway.

United are also very good with kids and invited my son onto the flight deck without us even asking. Only a quick visit and then presented with a plastic "pilots wings" badge - nice touch!

But surely the rules do not apply on the ground with engines off at the gate and where the captain is in attendance. If this is an issue then I would have thought United would be aware and not proactively invite children onto the flight deck per-flight?

I have to say that I'm actually pretty upset at the information passed off as fact here. I'm not sure where the TSA comments came in, or why they came in, but they really have no authority to control access to the flight deck, especially over the flight crew. They only really have the authority over access to the facilities and the AOA itself. Who has access to the flight deck is up to the FARs. The FARs are actually pretty clear in who is allowed access, and random people are not included in that, but this is where the comments of the letter of the law versus the essence of the law come into play. The essence of the law is to keep people off of the flight deck who have no business there to prevent distractions or security concerns in flight (though the FARs do not state this).

TL;DR:
TSA can step in and take someone down if they weren't in the airport, or in/on the AOA for a reason.
TSA has no call in who has access to the flight deck and who does not.

Guys, I'm almost positive there are no "TSA rules" about flight deck visits on the ground in the US - it's just in-flight. I don't think the in-flight ban started with 9/11 either.

I'm glad someone stepped in to bring that up. It's since the FARs stopped it, which was much before 9/11. Limits were pushed, however, especially when the doors were not required to be closed. I remember a couple times I was allowed to stand just outside the door and take a look. The one I remember the most was a B1900D flight from DEN-BIS-MOT.

the rule that talks about admission to the flight deck is CFR 121.547, it has nothing to do with TSA, it is a FAA rule.

Exactly.

Kyle Rodgers

That and as far as i can tell the usa is the only country that bared all access during flight here in canada its still allowed, i jump seated on a canadian north flight a few weeks ago.

Here in Brazil since 9/11 access is prohibited during flight for everyone that is not a pilot or crew member, even if it's a family member. Some people get special authorization to fly on jump seats for filming or something like that, others fly illegally. So US is not the only one. Access on ground is still permited and kids even take photos sitting in the captain's seat.

Pedro Espindola

PMDG_737ngx_proud_own2_378x68.jpg