Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Realair Lancair Legacy and PMDG 737NGX

An all weather, IFR tourer? No.

And what GA aircraft is "an all weather, IFR tourer"? None... not any I can think of. No GA aircraft is capable of punching holes thru thunderstorms. Even if I had a good wx radar and stormscope... to date I do not dare think I would risk IFR penetration thru a Severe line of storms.

And the very definition of Severe Icing precludes flight in those (known / forecast) conditions for any aircraft. Anything less than that is going to require some sort of action / exit strategy.

So this idea of an "all weather, IFR tourer" is quite the misnomer especially for GA aircraft.

Sounds like what you are looking for is going to begin with the word "Citation" where you can get typed for single pilot ops - have a couple extra seats - and be able to top or deviate around most weather.

I've never quite understood why fast and maneouvreable aircraft are considered unsuitable for IFR. We went to quite a lot of trouble to make the Legacy as stable as the most sedate trainer if that's the way you want to fly it, especially under autopilot where its manners are impeccable. Even manually at higher altitudes it just requires a slightly more deft touch and it rewards with excellent and predictable manners.

I called it IFR tourer because of its equipment. It has instruments for IFR and a good autopilot. So I thought this might not be a typical plane for a PPL pilot taking VFR tour. Is it not to fast and powerful for a PPL pilot top be allowed to fly it ?

Do you mean that the autopilot in the real plane is better compared to other GA planes ? Or that your FSX implementation simulate the autopilot in a more realistic way ?

You gotta get this plane

Yes it really seem great my only concern is performance.

It means Scott's Awesome Plane!!!

Exactly! :-)

Now, ask me what plane that would be on any given day of the week, and the answer would change. I'm fickle.

I did give some examples and reasons earlier - I think Rob (great Ozzie, Rob) skimmed past them... :rolleyes:

And what GA aircraft is "an all weather, IFR tourer"? None... not any I can think of. No GA aircraft is capable of punching holes thru thunderstorms. Even if I had a good wx radar and stormscope... to date I do not dare think I would risk IFR penetration thru a Severe line of storms.

Who said anything about Severe storm penetration? C'mon, Rob. The whole idea of having things like deice equipment is not to fly intentionally into ice, it's to allow you more options and time, just as having wx detection systems on board are to allow better avoidance not to go looking for lines of storms to punch. And so on... All of these things increase the ability of an aircraft to be more reliable in more marginal wx. But I'm sure you know this.

Equipment like this is available on far less formidable planes than Citations. But again, I think you know this as well and are just havin' fun with me.

Scott

Call me stupid but... it will be weird flying that airplane with my yoke...

I have a x52 stick that I had bought previous to my yoke. When I purchased this plane, it prompted me to create a holder / cradle from wood which slides into a wooden bracket on the underside of my desk chair that positions the stick somewhat realistically. Helps with immersion immensely, in quite a few planes!

Yes it really seem great my only concern is performance.

I had previously commented on my experiences with performance on this plane - I have to add that replacing the stock gps with the RXP unit seems to have given me some extra frames. Doing some brief flying with it last night around PAKT (Orbx PFJ, but without the addon airport), I had no problem maintaining 60 fps for most of my flight around the area, except on approach, where it dropped to about 35 - 40 fps. Sliders most right, autogen on dense, Opus weather giving me almost solid cloud cover.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I had previously commented on my experiences with performance on this plane - I have to add that replacing the stock gps with the RXP unit seems to have given me some extra frames. Doing some brief flying with it last night around PAKT (Orbx PFJ, but without the addon airport), I had no problem maintaining 60 fps for most of my flight around the area, except on approach, where it dropped to about 35 - 40 fps. Sliders most right, autogen on dense, Opus weather giving me almost solid cloud cover.

I have the RXP 530WAAS and Orbx PFJ (without the addon airport yet) and also Opus weather and I also have autogen on dense. The last part about almost solid cloud cover and 60 fps surprises me. Maybe it was one cloud layer only and therefore not so many cloud in the sky.

Maybe it was one cloud layer only and therefore not so many cloud in the sky.

I didn't check to see where the clouds were at, I would of guessed it at about 6000 feet. Cover was probably 6/8 or so. I get pretty good cloud performance, for the most part though. My AMD card with the shader 3.0 mod chews through them pretty good. I also don't run any high resolution cloud textures like REX.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.