Sign in to follow this  
et31

Cost Index

Once you get to that range for CI number you are reaching the upper edge of the envelope for the 737, once you get past 50 or 60 or so , or you could go all the way up to 999, but you are already near the barber pole in all phases. A 747 or 777 will have a higher useful range of numbers.

I wonder what CI BA used on their Concorde fleet ?

Eric W.

With a CI of 80-99, you will usually climb out around the 315-320 knot range.  And on the way

back down, it will run fairly hot all the way down to about 10k, and will pitch up for 240 knots

at about the last minute. I've never tried over 99..

The mach speed for cruise will be a bit higher, but not hugely so..  .79-.80 I think..

With the 30's, 40's CI I've been using lately, I'm usually climbing out a tad under 300.. Depends

which plane I'm running.. I'll have to run a tad higher CI in the 600 to equal the appx speeds

I see in the 700.

I was thinking the other Boeing planes use a different scale as far as the cost index.

VNAV will be trying to place the aircraft 1: at 250kts or less below 10,000ft

When no ATC speed is given the VNAV speed restriction can be cancelled and the aircraft CAN actually exceed 250kts below 10,000  :O

When no ATC speed is given the VNAV speed restriction can be cancelled and the aircraft CAN actually exceed 250kts below 10,000 

Maybe in OZ, not in FAA-land, just to clarify for those flying Stateside...

In the US, in a 73', you're going to have to be 250 knots or less under 10,000 per FAR 91.117, regardless of an ATC instruction.

Kyle Rodgers

For the UK that depends on airspace.

It's 250 knots below FL100 for VFR in class C and D.

250 knots for IFR in class D.

For everyone in class E, F and G.

But does not apply in class A and B.

however, most SIDs and STARs here have restrictions so you have to fly at 250 anyway, but the general rule only applies as above.

Details in the CAP493 if you want the source.

however, most SIDs and STARs here have restrictions so you have to fly at 250 anyway, but the general rule only applies as above.

Yep. There is only one class B airspace in Czech Republic. This does not have a 250kts restriction. Coincidentally, this space is defined as 28nm circle around OKL VOR. There is also a restriction that limits the speed inside 28nm OKL to 250..

Its prohibited to exceed 250 below 100,'cause bird strike danger zone and so on

Iran air use between 30 and 33 for his A320s,F100s,A300-600,A310 and 747-100 and 200 which are equipted to FMGS

Captain Hamzeh Farhadi

A320 TRI/TRE at Iran Air

There are a number of discussions about the CI in some of the real-world pilot forums like airlinepilotcentral.com that you can search through. It seems to vary quite a bit by airline (because of different fixed costs) and current fuel price. One guy from the old Continental said they were required to adjust it to reach their destination at the scheduled time. A Delta pilot said theirs at the time was CI of 12-18, but then they would change it to 60-70 for the descent. Another pilot said they only used CI for the cruise and manually overrode the climb and descent speeds. Apparently though it is captain's discretion ultimately. I can see where you're running late and normally might put in a high CI, but if you're in a busy corridor (like the NE united states) and you know you're going to be ATC restricted to 250 knots pretty much the whole trip, might as well save fuel and put in a low number.

I found CI:50 gives me good numbers in the NGX. Only time I override it is on descent where I like to use 300-320knts until the any speed restrictions by ATC, 10,000ft or on the STAR. 

I like to use a CI of 15-20 but will often speed up descent manually if ATC holds me up or I have a unexpected tail wind (or if I am in a rush), this will get me back below the VNAV PATH.

I use a policy number of 35 these days. I find it fits my flying style well.