Sign in to follow this  
Alberto Zanot

suggestion for new purchase

I would say for what you may be looking for, the Ifly would be the way to go. You will still have to learn a bit, but it won't be hard either one you pick.

PMDG modeled a bunch of stuff in there, that if you look at it from where you are coming from, you won't need or use. Both are excellent planes, and have both great reviews.

Dollar for dollar, you get more bang for your buck with the Ifly. Eye candy goes to PMDG. Systems goes to PMDG, but only slightly when you look at functionality. 

The Ifly is easier on the frames, while the PMDG is harder, but not so much that it will kill your computer. If you can use the Ifly, you can use the PMDG. They have made a GUI that will enable you to tone down the detail if you should run into problems.

If you are looking at other products with some complexity, but not over the top, my number one would be the QW BAE 146/RJ. It is a great plane.

PMDGs JS4100 I would have to say gives you more to do than all of them, as she is far from fully automated. Another great plane with great reviews, only it is the hardest on the frames.

Keep  gettin "fun" with default then... FSX or FS9 is not a game.. where you have to get more points..  is a SIMULATOR......  if You want challenge to learn.. so get the PMDG.. not a doubt at all....

Menduco

Of course it's a game! A computer game that lets you pretend you're flying a plane.

If it was more than that, the airlines wouldn't need to train anyone to fly the 737NG. They'd just put a recruitment announcement on AVSIM. 

:P

I'd agree though, if you want a 737 you may as well get the PMDG or iFly.

You can also make flying default planes more fun with some good addons. I've been flying the default CRJ-700 with AccuFeel, OpusFSX and FSCaptain and some gauges fixes from the file library and it's quite enjoyable.

Might I, in that case, suggest the QW757? Pretty simple, but still noticably more complex than the default aircraft. One of the planes I started with when I got more into simming

+1 on that, the QW757 is a big upgrade from default but still easy to fly. Comes with lots of different models, liveries, classic or retrofit panels in VC or 2D, great sounds and lot of other goodies. They reduced the price last year, so it's a great bargain too.

Barry Friedman

PMDG NGX, do the tutorials and you'll be in good shape.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

PMDG NGX, do the tutorials and you'll be in good shape.

+1

With all the automation, this airplane is much easier to deal with a lot of the older airplanes. The hard part is the FMC but after a few tutorials, you'll be fine. What's your major concern?

I have both pmdg 737 and js41

JS41 feels like Im really about to fly for real, it simple with an easier FMC and its always better to start off on prop planes even if its a turbo prop. There is a good reason why airlines recruit mostly from the turbo prop arena

ZORAN

Another thought, if he really does want a 737, and wants to work up to the NGX, why doesn't he just get the NGX!

It's actually relatively easy to learn if you take it in stages, there is no requirement to do the whole flight from cold and dark each time. If you just want to load with engines running and head on out then it's relatively easy to do so.

Tutorials are great and I suspect there are more fan made NGX tutorials out there on the internet than any other aircraft. The FMS does seem daunting the first time you use it, however I think most would agree that once you've used it a few times it feels for the most part intuitive. There isn't any real reason in the early stages to go into the more advanced features of it either, the only real requirement for flight is to get the perf init set up, load the route and get the take-off configured and you can pretty much not touch the FMC again for the rest of the flight.

The automation of the NGX also lends itself well to learning. You get the chance whilst in the cruise to play with some of the features of the aircraft - in fact the tutorial that comes with the aircraft has you fiddling with adding in offsets and the like and how to do it properly. The advanced tutorial even shows you how to fly the really rather tricky LOWI RW8 visual approach, great fun, however a rather high workload that I wouldn't suggest trying on your first go on the NGX (like I did, and realised that there was never a more apparent need for an extra pair of hands!)

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg