Sign in to follow this  
GDex

777 PDF Manuals

Question to PMDG.

In the 737 NGX PDF manuals, in the table of content, one cannot click on an item and jump to the correct page. So for example, looking for page NP.10.42 requires a lot of scrolling and searching. I know this is feasible since I have seen many PDF documents that offer this feature. Will the 777 manuals be built that way?

I know this is feasible since I have seen many PDF documents that offer this feature. Will the 777 manuals be built that way?

The manuals that are non-hyperlinked are cheaper to license from Boeing. If PMDG wanted to include the hyperlinked manuals for the NGX, it would have increased the price of the NGX. So I see the same thing happening for the 777.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Or you can edit the PDF and create your own links or create mini-PDF of certain sections that you need. I have done both and have them on my iPad via Goodreader so if I need a certain section I just click on the tab to switch PDF.

Thanks all for your comments. CTRL+F sorts of work, by searching the page number such as NP.21.3. But in such an example, it will search successively through NP.21.31, NP.21.32, NP.21.33, …. until its gets to the actual page I am looking for (page 79 in the PDF page counter at the top). This is certainly more work and time than just clicking on a link. As a workaround, I have printed some of the TOC pages and written by hand the PDF page number next to those pages I was interested in.

As for Kenny’s comment that hyperlinked manuals would be more expensive, I have difficulty believing this. If Boeing has produced hyperlinked manuals for RW pilots, that extra cost must have been absorbed in the B737 development costs; anyways it would micro infinitesimal compared to the cost of a single B737.

I still would appreciate PMDG’s comments/answers on this subject.

Robert has mentioned himself that that was exactly the reason why they did not include the hyperlinked manuals. Can't seem to find the relevant comment at the moment, but he did.

Don't forget, every single nut, bolt and washer costs tens of dollars in aviation, why would the books describing these nuts, bolts and washers be different?

Thanks all for your comments. CTRL+F sorts of work, by searching the page number such as NP.21.3. But in such an example, it will search successively through NP.21.31, NP.21.32, NP.21.33, …. until its gets to the actual page I am looking for (page 79 in the PDF page counter at the top). This is certainly more work and time than just clicking on a link. As a workaround, I have printed some of the TOC pages and written by hand the PDF page number next to those pages I was interested in.

As for Kenny’s comment that hyperlinked manuals would be more expensive, I have difficulty believing this. If Boeing has produced hyperlinked manuals for RW pilots, that extra cost must have been absorbed in the B737 development costs; anyways it would micro infinitesimal compared to the cost of a single B737.

I still would appreciate PMDG’s comments/answers on this subject.

If you use advanced find, you can search for whole words which will avoid that problem. Still not ideal, but you'll find what you're after.

Don't forget, every single nut, bolt and washer costs tens of dollars in aviation, why would the books describing these nuts, bolts and washers be different?

Slightly off topic but as an example from many years ago when I worked at EGLL

Concorde used a dunlop squash ball as a water drain float in the rear cargo hold I think it was,At that time you could buy the same squash ball in a sports shop for about 50 pence the price for the concorde squash ball was £17 it even had the yellow dot on the ball !!

The alleged reason was that it had to pass airworthiness tests

Pete Little

Slightly off topic but as an example from many years ago when I worked at EGLL

Concorde used a dunlop squash ball as a water drain float in the rear cargo hold I think it was,At that time you could buy the same squash ball in a sports shop for about 50 pence the price for the concorde squash ball was £17 it even had the yellow dot on the ball !!

The alleged reason was that it had to pass airworthiness tests

The 50p ones never really bounce and well as the Dunlop ones anyway. 

If Boeing has produced hyperlinked manuals for RW pilots, that extra cost must have been absorbed in the B737 development costs; anyways it would micro infinitesimal compared to the cost of a single B737.

Nope, the extra costs of hyperlinking the manual are absorbed into higher cost these are sold to the licensees at.

i.e. not every RW pilot gets their manual hyperlinked. There is also an option to have them bookmarked, I believe, and then you would essentially have a collapsible table of contents on the left hand side of the screen, at least in Acrobat reader.

Or you can edit the PDF and create your own links or create mini-PDF of certain sections that you need. I

I have done this also. I considered making them available but figured that there was no way to post them such that only licensed users could get them. I had not thought someone might even object to the very concept of adding links! 

It's really not that hard to add links to an existing PDF, with any suitable PDF creation program. But of course there are so many of them. Still, it's worth doing for any chapter that you use a lot.