Sign in to follow this  
larrywell

Bank Angle Selector

Hello,

i have a doubt about how to set the Bank angle selector for each phase of the flight, because on the 767 i remember the FS2CREW says set it to 25 and above 10000ft set it to AUTO (max 30 degrees), but in the 737, the FS2CREW  says nothing about it, i just leave it to 30 degrees, it's up on the airline SOP? any 737 pilot can explain me this?

Than's in advance for the help!

Larry Well.

As you are probably aware the Bank Angle Selector only works in HDG SEL & VOR (Roll) Modes

Setting/having the Bank Angle Selector set to 25 degrees below FL100/10000ft & at 30 degrees above FL100/10000ft is most probably a company specific SOP...& it is most probably adjusted/set/checked during the FL100/10000ft flows/checks in the climb/descent.

Not a RW pilot & not a user of the FS2Crew stuff...specifically because the scans/flows/checklists are not editable to reflect RW variations although I can see their utility for others.

2 posts in one day...I'll give myself a nosebleed :P

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

My personal use and experience as an NG pilot is that the bank angle selector stays on 25 nearly all the time. The only time this is changed is when I might want to reduce the angle bank (like avoiding weather at altitude) or increase the rate of turn (like being given a late vector to intercept).

The need to change it is quite uncommon, I can't remember the last time I touched it!

Only a NGX pilot, but i also usually leave it at 25. Sometimes you can see on charts that some turns (esp. missed approach procedures) have specific angles/speeds annotated so i then set the bank selector accordingly to meet the required numbers.

Regards,
Chris Volle

i7700k @ 4,7, 32gb ram, Win10, MSI GTX1070.

Which reminds me, all engine failure procedures are predicated on a bank angle of 15 maximize the climb gradient. The selector would have to be changed in these circumstances to ensure proper FD guidance.

When using LNAV / VNAC the FMC is going to dictate the bank angle. (based on calculations of weight and balance as well as performance).

Bank angle only works in HDG select mode. You can limit the bank in this mode for the same reasons as just mentioned here above (weight and balance - performance) especially when the departure requires you to make turns when being heavy (in fuel and payload)with respect to your maneuver capability for the current (Take off) configuration.

It's better to reduce the bank angle limiter when at higher altitudes; as you you will increase your buffet margin when close to the FMC calculated Max Altitude. Many airlines (such as RYR) predicate reducing the bank angle limiter to 10 degrees above FL300 when in HDG SEL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the real plane I set it to 25 for most operations. The exception is when we get a vector during cruise I will usually set it to 15 degrees and then reset it to 25 when we get into the arrival phase of the flight. We have no real SOP on that but most pilots do it the same way.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Thank's to everyone for your quick responses, so,10,20 and 30 degrees are never used? the FS2CREW F/O don't set it, just leave it to 30 degrees.

so,10,20 and 30 degrees are never used?

I wouldn't say "never used," just "not commonly used."  If you can find a reason to use it, use it.  Aviation isn't as regimented as people believe.  Just because there isn't an SOP for it doesn't mean it's prohibited or never done  :wink:

Kyle Rodgers

In the real plane I set it to 25 for most operations. The exception is when we get a vector during cruise I will usually set it to 15 degrees and then reset it to 25 when we get into the arrival phase of the flight. We have no real SOP on that but most pilots do it the same way.

I was coming back from PHNL a few nights ago. Company policy is LNAV only! in ETOPS, so here comes a line of thunderstorms. . . OFFSET 15L. . . and the plane of course goes in to a 30 bank at FL330. Not smooth at all, but man, were we on that magenta line. Crisis averted.

Matt Cee

Not smooth at all, but man, were we on that magenta line. Crisis averted.

Gotta love when having something in black and white trumps sense...

Kyle Rodgers

Freakin FOQA, right, Matt?  :lol:

Not so bad in 'Merica. One of the reasons I left the Orient. Very punitive there w/FOQA.

Matt Cee