Sign in to follow this  
fulcrum_64th

Thinking of P3D

So first question: is it possible to run on the same computer (and on same partition) FSX and P3D ? I read that one need to be careful (specially using the migration tool)

Thx

Yes it is. For example I have them on the same partition and run them without any problems. They are different programs and create their own directories and registry settings. I have no other reason to keep FSX, though, but I have some ORBX sceneries bought on disk installed with their migration linker program.

It is not that easy to mess up FSX installation with migration tool (made bu flightsim.ee) although some caution is of course needed not to run FSX with tool on and such. I only use it when installing something and close it right after that. I haven't experienced any problems (knock on wood).

They live happily together, no worries.

I don't use the "migration tool" so I can't comment -- I have my own method for products that don't directly work with P3D.

But that brings up an interesting point, running both at the same time on the same computer using different monitors and then run a Multiplayer session ... hmmm ... wonder if that will work? P3D and FSX sharing the skies ... anyone tried this?

I used to have FSX and P3D installed on the same computer just different directories.  I get way better performance in P3D than FSX in my i5-750 system (its running at 4Ghz).

It was few quirks, I suggest running P3D in windowed mode as the atc window in fullscreen is a solid window (not like transparent one that is used in FSX).

Just do not run the migration tool in FSX mode when running Prepar3d or FSX.  Use it only for installation and nothing else, and always disable it when the installation is done.

For Orbx sceneries, use the Linker Tool if you want to use the FSX sceneries into P3D. 

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Can anyone comment on OOM issues with P3D?  OOM is what I hate the most in FSX.  The only way I can use ORBX is to set my autogen to sparse to maintain 20+ FPS on approach.

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Well, my experience is rather limited because I use only default scenery, but my last FSX Gold install, and having moved to DX10 mode was giving me excellent graphics and performance until I tried to use the Aerosoft Airbus X Extended. Then the OOMs and CTDs came... I decided to move to prp3d 1.4 Academic.

So far under all of the exact same situations that were giving me, repeatedly, OOMs I am perfectly fine, and prp3d also gives me a much better sensation of smoothness even under circumstances where I hit lower FPS.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

"Thinking of P3D"

Well stop thinking and start doing!  :wink:

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

FAR fewer OOM's under P3D in situations where FSX would go bye bye rapidly.

You can still push it over the wall but it seems a lt friendlier.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

My only gripe so far... No support (native) from A2A or RealAir.

OTOH, just installed AS2012 and, as usual, it is a GREAT weather injector, now also Prp3d-ready :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...