Sign in to follow this  
OmniAtlas

Orbx World Video Previews Released! (Europe)

I was skeptical at first when I heard about FTX Global but the latest screenshots and these videos have really blown me away. And I too am a bit weary of investing even more into FSX, but this looks so good it'll be hard to resist (assuming it comes out by summer like they have been saying.)

Also I have to agree that it blows GEX out of the water.. I hate to say that because the GEX developer is a good guy and is very skilled, but Global looks so much more natural and vibrant.

I think I will like the product but I really do regret introducing ENB to John... It hurts my eyes! Things are way too dark or way too bloomey and I really don't understand why he uses that purple horizon... YIKES! Still, I am sure I will like FTX Global. Without ENB. ^_^ (And btw ENB is an addon, isn't it...?)

It will indeed blow GEX out of the water but not UTX, which you will still need for real roads and waters. (In the first movie you see a road with quite a few cars on it: is that really default FSX...?)

I also wonder why these movies are shot with an iPhone...? :huh:

Anyway, having FTX-textures all over the globe will certainly improve the overall experience! I am really looking forward to this addon! Even though you might not see a difference between Spain and AUstria and Norway or Thailand... ^_^

Can't figure out, how to do direct replies on this cell phone, but sport pilot is out, too.

Guest Mik75

Breathtaking! Wow, that looks really promising! I wonder how all the airport addon scenery will fit onto this. Since it is "only" replacement textures, it shouldn't lead into any trouble...

Yup, waiting for some more videos.

Looks like ill be exploring the world now.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I agree that ORBX makes fantastic textures, but I'm still somewhat skeptical.  If they are only going to use their existing texture sets, i.e. the ones included in their scenery region packs, then that greatly limits the variety available for worldwide coverage.  For example, I don't think they've developed texture sets for the eastern United States, India, South America, etc.  Textures that they have for Australia simply won't suffice to represent, for example, Central America or the Caribbean.  Hopefully they'll develop the necessary textures to best represent different major areas of the world, rather than just use what they've already got on hand. 

I am cautiously optimistic now because I think they are working on custom European textures. 

I'll have to see a lot more screenshots before I make up my mind, though.

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Nice videos, ENB ruins them though.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I don't know where people are getting the idea that they are only using textures from the regions they already created... they are creating custom textures for the whole globe. They never said they are not creating new textures.

I'm just happy it will be a one stop solution over the confusion Gex offers, WIll this be a replacement for UTX also?

WIll this be a replacement for UTX also?

I do not believe FTX Global replaces good landclass. 

I don't know where people are getting the idea that they are only using textures from the regions they already created... they are creating custom textures for the whole globe. They never said they are not creating new textures.

Please refer to this quote from John Venema on 29 December 2012 regarding FTX:

In 2013 we will be releasing a FTX product for FSX and Prepar3D that covers the entire world with FTX textures combined from the twelve different regions we have developed since 2008 including England. It won't be a perfect solution like a "full-fat" FTX region because it is predominately textures only. However, it will cover the whole globe with Orbx so you never have to experience FSX default textures again.

Please note the part that states "with FTX textures combined from the twelve different regions we have developed since 2008 including England"

Thanks.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

WIll this be a replacement for UTX also?

No. Normal FTX regions do everything that UTX does and more, but FTX Global is an exception. It's mainly textures only.

Personally I think people are even more confused about OrbX World than they were about GEX+UTX.

It's primarily a replacement for the default FSX *textures*, with custom autogen annotation and autogen objects. You will still get the same missing towns, inaccurate land classification, lack of roads and accurate rivers and lakes etc. as with default FSX/P3D scenery, only with prettier textures and more dense autogen.  So that farmland where there should be a town of 100,000 will look really pretty.

That's why I'm not really that excited about this release. I prefer the OrbX regions which are complete packages with nearly photographic accuracy but with full autogen and smaller storage space requirements.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP