Sign in to follow this  
harry2394

FPS Extremely Low with PMDG 737NGX!

Hi there,

I've been having extreme problems with my frame rates in FSX after purchasing the PMDG 737 NGX 800/900.  After following all the recommended setup instructions, I am only getting 1, maximum 3 fps!  Here are my system specs and other info and if anyone has any suggestions for the settings I should use in FSX and in the fsx.cfg, please let me know:

Installation: FSX SP2

Processor: Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz          (see attached photo)
Memory: 6GB RAM (6144MB)

HDD: 674GB

DISPLAY
Device: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Approx. Total Memory: 1664MB

Display Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit)

Addons I use:

UK2000 Scenery (Liverpool, Stansted, Gatwick)
GSX

Thanks,

Harry Sugden

You won't get that much with your specs, ESPECIALLY your graphics card.

Did you even *read* what PMDG recommends when it comes to system specs?? From the PMDG Website:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Minimum

OS: Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7 (latest service packs), Flight Simulator X with SP2 or Acceleration installed.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD equivalent

RAM: 2GB if only running the NGX, 4GB if running other addons (scenery, traffic etc)

Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible with 512MB of video memory (examples: Nvidia 8800GT, AMD/ATI Radeon 4870)

Best Performance

Processor: Intel Core i5 or i7 (Sandy Bridge core) or better

RAM: 4GB+

Video Card: Nvidia GTX560 Ti, 570 or 580 with 1GB+ of video memory or better

Monitor: Widescreen 1920x1080+

PMDG *highly* recommends the use of 64-bit versions of Windows due to memory limitations in FSX.

You won't get that much with your specs, ESPECIALLY your graphics card.

Did you even *read* what PMDG recommends when it comes to system specs?? From the PMDG Website:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Minimum

OS: Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7 (latest service packs), Flight Simulator X with SP2 or Acceleration installed.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD equivalent

RAM: 2GB if only running the NGX, 4GB if running other addons (scenery, traffic etc)

Video Card: DirectX 9 compatible with 512MB of video memory (examples: Nvidia 8800GT, AMD/ATI Radeon 4870)

Best Performance

Processor: Intel Core i5 or i7 (Sandy Bridge core) or better

RAM: 4GB+

Video Card: Nvidia GTX560 Ti, 570 or 580 with 1GB+ of video memory or better

Monitor: Widescreen 1920x1080+

PMDG *highly* recommends the use of 64-bit versions of Windows due to memory limitations in FSX.

Does my graphics card not even fit the minimum requirements then?  Yes I did read what they needed but I don't have any money to buy new stuff and I thought that my specs might be sufficient.  Attached is the full dxdiag page on the graphics card.

Don't expect much with an Intel Graphics card, I fly my PMDG 737 on a laptop, but it does have a Nvidia Geforce graphics card. I'm running FSX with a framerate locked at 30 and getting pretty good FPS, granted the internal graphics settings are set to almost the minimum.  It took me a while to fine-tune everything so I get the best performance with the best possible quality.  You may want to turn off the co-pilot displays, external animations and reduce the display refresh rates via the PMDG-setup page found in the PMDG CDU.

KrisYYZ

Kristof Barocz
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

The minimum system requirements data published with Fsx and most add on software is regarded as a joke within the Fsx community. Even the recommended specs have problems running Fsx fluidly in certain situations.Compromises still have to be made with Fsx settings on platforms screaming at over 5 Ghz.

You should be able to run the NGX/FSX with at least 7-15FPS on that system. Windows 8 may have something to do with it. 

there is a program called fsx booster that can help, it did for me in the early days of lap top simming

ZORAN

Autogen, AI traffic, and road traffic have the biggest impact on Fsx FPS. I'd check those settings 1st. Regarding previous post, I wouldn't consider 7-15 FPS flyable but that's a subjective opinion as every ones expectations differ. You might be asking too much of your hardware  for that add on however.

What sort of settings do you suggest to get some fps on system?

I'd get acceleration if you don't have that already installed, tweak it using the online fsx.cfg tweaker (Google) and start off with everything low and slowly increase it until you're happy. Some people get more FPS with say autogen at MAX than LOW, so don't be afraid of maxing some settings out. Lower doesn't always mean higher FPS with FSX.

Autogen, AI traffic, and road traffic have the biggest impact on Fsx FPS

Wrong, it's Autogen, Ai traffic, and Bloom. Road traffic is mostly system, and location specific.

What sort of settings do you suggest to get some fps on system?

Very LOW. Autogen at normal, or sparse, water at high 1X, boom, and shadows OFF, and ai traffic BELOW 20%.

Does my graphics card not even fit the minimum requirements then?  Yes I did read what they needed but I don't have any money to buy new stuff and I thought that my specs might be sufficient.  Attached is the full dxdiag page on the graphics card.

Technically, you don't have a graphics card. The "Intel HD Graphics 3000" refers to the Core i5 on-die GPU, which is woefully inadequate when it comes to playing games with any sort of graphical fidelity. You might get by with just about every slider pegged at its lowest setting, but don't get your hopes up. That said, your display's resolution is quite low as well, so that might even things out a bit. You should probably consider getting a low-to-mid-range Nvidia video card at some point.

EDIT: Oh, and most importantly, the 2.3 GHz core speed is on the low side as well. Things only start to get remotely satisfying performance-wise around the 3.3 GHz mark or so (give or take). I just realized that you're trying to get FSX and the NGX to run on what's probably a fairly low-end laptop. All I can say is that the odds are stacked against you, oh kind sir. Good luck!

I don't think lowering any of those settings will do much to improve performance in this case. Traffic, bloom, autogen... all those are CPU demanding settings. The problem here lies in the graphics card as Petja said.

Maybe lowering or disabling altogether antialiasing and filtering will get you some FPS, but don't expect miracles, and it's going to look very bad with no AA / AF.

If you can afford a new GPU, post your PSU settings

Realistically not going to run. I tried this on a similar pc setup 7 years ago (yes the names of the hardware are different now but all that hardware is essentially tech from 7-8 years ago capability wise) and it was awful. I would suggest looking to upgrade to a desktop pc instead of a laptop as you are going to get more for your money and can pick up something second hand.

Sorry bud, that system isn't going to run what you want it to, lowest settings or not.

To OP

Yes I did read what they needed but I don't have any money to buy new stuff

Seeing you live in the Smoke, if you pop down to your local C.E.X. store, there are some cracking NVidia cards on sale for under £100 there. I purchased a EVGA GTX460 Ti there last year and it worked fine for me until I upgraded that card when funds permitted. Worth a shot at the very least.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/404670-new-gtx-660-or-b-grade-gtx-580-and-what-to-do-with-current-gtx-460/

If you look here, somebody in London looking to offload a GTX460.