Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

FS9 is STILL the #1 flight simulator for 'heavy' operations!

I run both but I prefer FS9.  I run it with GE Pro, REX (water textures), FSGenesis mesh, and Active Sky Evolution.  I set it up with Nvidia Inspector and I don't seem to get 'blurries'.  I do get flickering in chain fences and the like but I can live with that. 

My main gripe is with the FSGenesis generated plateaux and 'holes' near many airfields. It is most marked using the newer 19m and 38m meshes. Has anyone found a way of dealing with this, short of disabling the FSGenesis mesh?  I'm reluctant to do that because, apart from the plateaux, FSG adds a degree of realism to the landscape way better than default FS9 mesh. 

System Spec:  Q9650 3.0GHz, GTX 260 896MB, 3GB DDR2, Windows XP x32bit ( I run FSX in W7x64bit on the same PC - dual boot). 

John

Supporter.png

John

I run both but I prefer FS9.  I run it with GE Pro, REX (water textures), FSGenesis mesh, and Active Sky Evolution.  I set it up with Nvidia Inspector and I don't seem to get 'blurries'.  I do get flickering in chain fences and the like but I can live with that. 

My main gripe is with the FSGenesis generated plateaux and 'holes' near many airfields. It is most marked using the newer 19m and 38m meshes. Has anyone found a way of dealing with this, short of disabling the FSGenesis mesh?  I'm reluctant to do that because, apart from the plateaux, FSG adds a degree of realism to the landscape way better than default FS9 mesh. 

System Spec:  Q9650 3.0GHz, GTX 260 896MB, 3GB DDR2, Windows XP x32bit ( I run FSX in W7x64bit on the same PC - dual boot). 

John

First off try out Zinertech Water when you get the chance (very close to FSX water in FS9). Second there's a freeware file out there that addresses the many holes found in FS9. This file was created by various users who found these holes right after FS9 was first released. I don't know if it's still out there. Another thing to look at is your mesh setting in your FS9.cfg file. I'm at work, I don't remember the exact line off the top of my head that addresses the complexity of mesh in FS9. Someone else might know the answer.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Thanks, Dillon.  I'm easing my way towards Zinertech Water. 

Not too sure about that freeware file, though. Justin (owner of FSG before the recent sell-off) was plagued by requests to make a fix for the FS9 airport plateau things.  If there'd been a fix out there I guess he'd have known about it. 

Regarding the mesh, in fs9.cfg it is controlled by, amongst other things <terrain_max_vertex_level=>. I've played around with that setting from 19-21, currently at 20. Any less than 20 takes away from the mesh IMO, whilst not doing anything to correct the awful plateaux/holes near airports.  It's not the fault of the FSG mesh whose coordinates are correct but to the incorrect coordinates of many default airports in FS9.

If anyone knows of a file out there which will sort out this old FS9/FSG problem please post details! 

Supporter.png

John

John

Hi John.

I've just come to this thread after a fortnight in sunny Scotland. Eleven pages is a lot to work through... so I haven't.

If most of the pits and spikes are near airports you could try adding flatten polygons to the nearest afd file, just covering the dodgy areas and at a suitable elevation. It's quick and simple to do in the latest version of ADE9X. You can add several flattens to one airport and they can all have different elevations.

Airport plateaux are trickier. I've seen success in nesting a concentric series of flatten polygons, stepping gradually down from a correct airport to the surrounding incorrect terrain. In the case of a wrong airport elevation it's easier to alter the elevation in the afd file (again with ADE9X) and make one flatten to blend with the surrounding terrain.

One flatten for a single pit or bad airport is easy, nested flattens to grade the airport down to the surrounding terrain is considerably more hassle, especially if you want small steps (lots of nested polygons) to avoid having terraces around the airport.

People claim difficulty in getting to grips with ADE; I find it quite intuitive and comfortably similar to the old favourite, Afcad 221. You can learn all you need to know in less than a couple of hours - the package includes a comprehensive and searchable help document

I'm afraid I don't know of any ready-made package of corrections. Maybe a collaborative upload is the way to go though I wouldn't be much help as I use Global '08...

Cheers,

D

This thread sure had a run for the money...just proves that FS9.x is a LONG way from going anywhere soon... :)

Good deal!

Thanks to all that contributed. It was a good run with lots of great info, conjecture, and chin rubbing.

O.P.

Install FS9, install patch, install add-ons, max all settings. Go fly.

My favorite part of FS9.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

So here are mine

587l.jpg

600za.jpg

603za.jpg

603zc.jpg

604n.jpg

604q.jpg

616i.jpg

618q.jpg

623g.jpg

623n.jpg

Where can I get these textures?  This is the kind of stuff that isn't possible in FS9 (let most people on the FSX side tell it).  :Nerd:

FS2020 

I still think my rocks look better. ;)

This is not contest and all SIM world it's not Glacier Bay. It's not about "you must like mine rocks", it's all about mine hobby and mine pleasure. I must like my SIM and I really do, that is all. I never do "simple squashed" comments like yours. I have respect to all simmers and their shots.

AVSIM is right with monitoring this topic.

Maybe AVSIM really should close this topic.

Where can I get these textures?  This is the kind of stuff that isn't possible in FS9 (let most people on the FSX side tell it).  :Nerd:

My own tweaked merge from various sources, converted from FSX, improved from FS2002, some from GE PRO, some my own, + various freeware textures from AVSIM, AVSIMRUS, FLIGHTSIM, all in 8bit/indexed BMP format without MIPMAPS, mostly without alphas, new custom mask and light masks.

Peter

And some PHOTO textures (from my old computer), I think FS2004 can handle photo terrain very well. (BLUE SKY SCENERY)

300wAPPROACH.jpg

300yAPPROACH.jpg

316tCLIMBINGOUT.jpg

317lENROUTE.jpg

317qENROUTE.jpg

318vENROUTE.jpg

318yENROUTE.jpg

My own tweaked merge from various sources, converted from FSX, improved from FS2002, some from GE PRO, some my own, + various freeware textures from AVSIM, AVSIMRUS, FLIGHTSIM, all in 8bit/indexed BMP format without MIPMAPS, mostly without alphas, new custom mask and light masks.

Peter

Between you and Jon_aus, this could be a huge seller for FS9.  You could package this up and share with the rest of us (I'd pay).  This is the last frontier for FS9 and truly needed.  I implore you guys to ask other developers how to break in the business and sell this formula and/or texture combination.  People would have a harder choice to make between the two sims and FS9 would finally have high detailed ground scenery.  I can't express this enough that not sharing this hurts more than it helps.  Until Steve Ballmer is out FSX and FS9 are the most used sims and deserve further development from all of us.  Keeping something like this to yourself on your isolated machine is not good.  You've cracked the HD ground texture debacle with FS9 just like REX, FSUIPC, and Activesky did with other areas before you.  Please share what you've done so we can build on that even further and enhance the enjoyment for everyone.

FS2020 

So what happened to Sacha's textures? Havn't heard anything.

Neither have I...

FS2020