Sign in to follow this  
XPX64man

How long has your TrackIR lasted?

Can anyone honestly say that they can discern an on screen difference between the Track Clip Pro and the basic reflector that clips on a baseball cap?

Can anyone honestly say that they can discern an on screen difference between the Track Clip Pro and the basic reflector that clips on a baseball cap?

Absolutely.  It is much more precise and less effected by ambient light.

I notice not one iota of difference between the two, apart from the irritating wire rubbing my neck and it trying to strangle me if I move. The main reason for the TCP is for people who live in a location where they get a lot of IR radiation in the room they are using the TIR in, its supposed to improve tracking in that enviroment. Saying that though I do live in a location that gets really strong sun shining in thorough the window and I still don't need the TCP, I just have to turn the filtering up a bit in the driver software and it works pretty much flawlessly for me, even with the normal reflectors on the sprung steel clip you put on a baseball cap or similar.

Cheers, Andy.

I occurs to me that we're sort of giving TrackIR a bad name here.

I'd like to make sure that anyone who's considering purchasing TrackIR, regardless of the type of aircraft sim you run) knows that I can't recommend it enough. It's changed and improved my experience so much.  I strongly encourage you to pick this up.... worth every penny and Natural Point has a great track record of standing behind their product.

Now, you need to really take care of your Pro Clip, which I also recommend, as they are a little too fragile.  Natural Point has acknowledged this and on a case by case basis they will send a replacement if it breaks in certain places (not due to abuse or negligence as I recall).

Being able to enable and disable at the touch of a button is really nice.

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Can anyone honestly say that they can discern an on screen difference between the Track Clip Pro and the basic reflector that clips on a baseball cap?

Yes, I agree completely. The TrackIR Pro Clip is, for me, substantially more accurate and has a far greater range of motion.  When I broke my Pro Clip (I broke it by not being careful, it didn't actually break on me) I used the Hat Clip and finally gave up and ordered another Pro Clip.

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

TIR5 and TCP user here. I suppose I've had my TIR5 for about 3 years now with the TCP and only recently broke one of the prongs on the arm holding it to the clip. I used a small rolled up piece of paper and jammed it in with the clip and now it holds together fine. (I'm kinda cheap that way if I can "fix" it myself).

I'm in the same group of people that like their TIR so much we won't fly without it. I'm serious too, I have not flown without TIR5 since I got it. The immersion and ability to look around using my cranium is important to me.

I occurs to me that we're sort of giving TrackIR a bad name here.

I'd like to make sure that anyone who's considering purchasing TrackIR, regardless of the type of aircraft sim you run) knows that I can't recommend it enough. It's changed and improved my experience so much.  I strongly encourage you to pick this up.... worth every penny and Natural Point has a great track record of standing behind their product.

Now, you need to really take care of your Pro Clip, which I also recommend, as they are a little too fragile.  Natural Point has acknowledged this and on a case by case basis they will send a replacement if it breaks in certain places (not due to abuse or negligence as I recall).

Being able to enable and disable at the touch of a button is really nice.

Dave

I agree completely.  I wouldn't fly anything on my computer without TrackIR.  

It is the most natural way of interacting with a good virtual cockpit, like the NGX or Q400.

I simply can not be without it and I don't have to because THE UPS MAN JUST DELIVERED MY NEW TRACKIR AND TRACK CLIP PRO.....YAYYY!!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!  :Praying:

Yes, I agree completely. The TrackIR Pro Clip is, for me, substantially more accurate and has a far greater range of motion.  When I broke my Pro Clip (I broke it by not being careful, it didn't actually break on me) I used the Hat Clip and finally gave up and ordered another Pro Clip.

Dave

I have both the standard hat clip and TrackClip Pro.  I do not have any doubt that my TCP does a MUCH better job than the standard hat clip.

You can even see the difference if you look at the camera tracker on the UI.  The spots for the TCP are very bright and precise, while the hat clip is more dim and spread out.

I'm not sure why you think smaller light points make it anymore accurate though, it certainly isn't dim on my camera either. If anything I think the range of movement with the TCP is more restricted. You can very quickly get into a situation where two of the dots overlap one another when looking down and to one side. As soon as one of the dots disappears behind another the tracking stops dead in its tracks (pun intended). Getting in the same situation with the Hat Clip takes quite a bit of contortionism, a position you are unlikely to get yourself in unless you are looking at the very extremes of head movement, which you will never get near if your profile is tuned properly..

Still it doesn't matter really, at least we have more than one option and whichever one you prefer is the right option for you.

Cheers, Andy.

For me I don't like wearing a hat at the PC... and naturally I'm already simming/gaming with my headset, so the TCP fits right on and I'm good to go.  I tried the hat initially and agree with (most) others... the TCP appears to provide better range of motion and does better in backlit situations than the one you wear on your hat does.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Like RonA - I was brought up to understand that a gentleman never wears a hat indoors.... so, two small screws/nuts, a bit o scrap metal and two pop-rivets. However - my wife says I can wear a hat indoors anytime....  :(

Second one in ten years, Ryan. "Can't fly without it"

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I'm not sure why you think smaller light points make it anymore accurate though, it certainly isn't dim on my camera either. If anything I think the range of movement with the TCP is more restricted. You can very quickly get into a situation where two of the dots overlap one another when looking down and to one side. As soon as one of the dots disappears behind another the tracking stops dead in its tracks (pun intended). Getting in the same situation with the Hat Clip takes quite a bit of contortionism, a position you are unlikely to get yourself in unless you are looking at the very extremes of head movement, which you will never get near if your profile is tuned properly..

Still it doesn't matter really, at least we have more than one option and whichever one you prefer is the right option for you.

This is purely dependent on the setup. I never have an overlap issue with the TCP. Everyone's results vary. I can look back and reach anything I need in the NGX on the overhead.

I believe the best setup is the camera is all the way to one side of your display or line-of-sight to which ever side of your head you have the TCP. Then the IR's on the TCP should be up relatively high, roughly a couple inches above your ear and arranged like in the pic below. Small adjustments might be needed to get it where it works as well as it does for me.

Hope this helps someone.

TIR5_TCP_CameraMount.jpg

TIR5_TCP_Headphones.jpg

I'm pretty sure you dont need the IR emitters switched on the camera when using TrackIR with the TCP, the 4 emitters on the Camera are for bouncing the light off of the reflectors on the Hat Clip and shouldn't be need when using the TCP as it has emitters of its own. If anything you will be making the situation worse especially if there is a wall close behind you, as the IR will bounce off the wall creating more background noise.

Cheers, Andy.

I'm pretty sure you dont need the IR emitters switched on the camera when using TrackIR with the TCP, the 4 emitters on the Camera are for bouncing the light off of the reflectors on the Hat Clip and shouldn't be need when using the TCP as it has emitters of its own. If anything you will be making the situation worse especially if there is a wall close behind you, as the IR will bounce off the wall creating more background noise.

That's a camera trick Andy, all the camera is doing is picking the TCP. TIR is setup to use the TCP so not sure how the cameras IR's could be active. B)

Certainly would not want to give TIR a bad wrap. I highly recommend this product as essential for any FS. Agreed, If you are in a light environment you may very well need the TCP. However having used both the basic baseball cap clip and the TCP in my low ambient light home theatre I recall expecting the TCP to be more precise but it was not in any way that I could discern and that made the basic clip the better choice for me.

But I see very little difference between 720p and 1080p so there you go!

Also I also use a TIR4 and I understand the TIR5 is much moire sensitive.

If NaturalPoint made a new version of the TCP that was wireless and mounted on the Brim of a baseball cap I would buy it but not that thing sticking out the side of your head. I think and know from experience that is asking for trouble!

Also I have the camera setup behind my head so I wear the baseball cap backwards making me more akin to a gangster wrapper than a gentleman