Sign in to follow this  
XPX64man

How long has your TrackIR lasted?

I have had my TrackIR4 since around 2006 and it just gave up the ghost.  I had to order a new TrackIR 5 from Amazon.  I went ahead and ordered a spare TrackClip Pro too.

I was just wondering what the normal life for a TrackIR unit is?

The unit is fine (got TIR 5 + TCP in 2008/9 can't recall)but my track clip pro broke after about a year... I got a new one under warranty, and the part that squeezes together around my headset band has failed so I use a rubber band to keep it from falling off my headset.  The TCP is extremely fragile - I've written to NP about constructing it better.  That's the one down side to TCP.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

My TrackIR has lasted forever so far.. I've had it for almost a year. The TCP does NOT brake if you're careful with it. However, its cord becomes so tangled and messed up that it is a bit of an annoyance sometimes.

Edited by linux731

The TCP is extremely fragile - I've written to NP about constructing it better. That's the one down side to TCP.

I could not believe how fragile the TCP is when I got mine. I was like, "How do you keep from breaking this thing!" So far it has lasted about a year, but sometimes my 7 year old nephew comes over and wants to get on my flightsim. I get so nervous that he is going to crush my TCP :unsure:

That why a bought a spare. I like it so much better than the hat clip, I just don't want to be without it.

My TrackIR has lasted forever so far.. I've had it for almost a year. The TCP does NOT brake if you're careful with it. However, its cord becomes so tangled and messed up that it is a bit of an annoyance sometimes.

I guess the little TrackIR4 unit lasted about seven years, but I noticed that it does get a little hot when I'm using it.

It just started breaking down last Saturday and would work if I put my head close to it, but when I backed off to a normal distance, it wouldn't work.

I tried switching to the hat clip, thinking that the TCP was getting bad, but it didn't work with the hat clip either.

I was extremely careful with my headset TCP... I place it down gently on the desk after each flight.  I guess it just snapped (one of the three arms broke) after a year or two...  the thing will break on you, eventually lol.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I was extremely careful with my headset TCP... I place it down gently on the desk after each flight.  I guess it just snapped (one of the three arms broke) after a year or two...  the thing will break on you, eventually lol.

I believe it is just best to plan on buying a spare TCP since it is just way too fragile.  

I kind of wish I had a spare TrackIR unit also.  I'm having to be without it for several days, and I really don't like that.  My new one should be here on the 8th.

Bought a TIR3 in 2005 which lasted for 3 years.

Bought a TIR5 (+Track Clip Pro) in 2008 which is still going strong... although again, the clip that holds it to my headphones became slack, so I have some tape around it, to keep it firm.

TrackIR is so fundamental a part of my flight sim experience that if I woke up one morning and had just dreamed that TIR existed, I'd quit the hobby and do something else.

It's not good enough to sit in front of a nice VC any more, when TIR put's me inside it.

:)

Third TrackIR Pro Clip was ordered a few days ago... didn't think about the warranty (darn it).  Should arrive today. $10 for second day UPS isn't bad at all - excellent thing about doing business with Natural Point.

The Pro Clip really should be made out of aircraft quality aluminum! LOL!!!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

The clip on my TIR4 was held together with tape for a few months until I finally bought the TIR5. The 4 lasted a long time and it was my fault the clip broke.

Rob Prest

My TCP broke taking it out of the box, lol. Fortunately I hate wires trailing across the room anyway and the Track Hat Clip fitted onto a nice golf visor works perfectly fine for me even in a very bright sun lit living room. I can wear the thing all day and I sometimes even forget I am wearing it, lol.

Cheers, Andy.

Mine broke after only a few weeks of use but it failed in a different way...
I got off my couch to do some simming and went to adjust the TIR on top of my monitor when, ZAP!!!
It got hit with static electricity and died.
That was several years ago and I was lucky to get a new unit under warranty and that one has worked flawlessly ever since.

p.s. I also replaced my couch for a less buzz inducing one.

I bought my TIR 3 Pro shortly before TIR 4 was released, I still have it and it still works! 

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I first started using TIR4 when sim racing, I found it much better for glancing left/right than the switch method. I bought TIR5 when I started Flight simming about 3 years ago and it's still functioning great! (That's put the kibosh on that!) Like most of you I've had a TCP break and the current one is taped up for reinforcement. So far, so good.

One thing I can't come to terms with is how many people say they can't get on with TIR and revert to EZdok. To me it's as natural as breathing.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

One thing I can't come to terms with is how many people say they can't get on with TIR and revert to EZdok. To me it's as natural as breathing.

Totally agree! .... Some people like really hate TrackIR, and while not to deny anyone's opinios, I am like .... whaaaaaaaaat ??

PS.   Ron - Love the signature 'trick' ..... I almost fell for it :wink: