Sign in to follow this  
tilgazt

Any way to get REAL overcast ceilings?

I know the weather engine of FSX is not great and I do not have any add-ons for weather yet but have searched YouTube for examples (REX, ASE, FEX etc) and cannot seem to find any weather engine that actually gives me a proper ceiling.

If I specify in FSX an overcast ceiling at 500 ft, I should not be able to still see the ground at 600 feet, let alone at 4,000 feet!!  If I want to fly IFR it should be real IFR.

Is there ANY weather engine out there that actually gives me a solid overcast (8/8) ceiling at any height when I specify it, without still being able to see the ground?

All suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks

Change this value CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY from 8 to 12 in your cfg. Works for me with AS2012.

Chris Howard

My Active Sky products always deliver a solid overcast.

AS2012

2013511191052131.jpg

2013511191128916.jpg

Chris Howard

OpusFSX can deliver a "true" overcast as well.

Change this value CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY from 8 to 12 in your cfg. Works for me with AS2012.

Thanks for the input guys!

@738 - I searched in every file in the FSX main directory and the only hits I got were in main.dll and ROOT_main.dll, neither one obviously is editable.

Where do I find the cfg file you are referring to and what is the full name.  There are plenty of cfg files. 

BTW I do not mean a solid ceiling as seen from below like your screenshots show, but when I am in actual IFC.

C:\Users\{your_user}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\FSX.cfg maybe

If I specify in FSX an overcast ceiling at 500 ft, I should not be able to still see the ground at 600 feet, let alone at 4,000 feet!! If I want to fly IFR it should be real IFR.

Is there ANY weather engine out there that actually gives me a solid overcast (8/8) ceiling at any height when I specify it, without still being able to see the ground?

All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

FSX will do this quite well, Tilgazt. Go into the "Weather"-->"User-defined Weather"-->"Customize"-->"Advanced Weather" and set Cumulus to 8/8 Overcast with a base of 660 and tops at 6500. No precip or wind, etc., and then go to the "Visibilty" tab and set the base to 660, tops to 6500, with the visibility slider set to 1/8 mile.

When you take off, and pass that base of 660 ft (which is 1/8 mile) you will be blind!

You can set as many layers as you wish, varying the visibility as you wish. This is an ideal way to practice IFR, as you can see nada, until you get the Inner Marker beeps and then see the runway appear, with your heart beating at 140! Fun! Wow!  :lol:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

The latest release SP2 of Active Sky has been a real *gulp* for me.  Overcasts...when you're in the clouds you're IN the clouds....pea soup at times.  I still use REX textures but Active Sky renders them so well and it adds some good RW fear factor you get from weather.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM