Sign in to follow this  
bönan

Any good vintage propliners out there?

It was the first commercial add-on I purchased, and have never regretted it.

A brilliant site indeed, but you must take your blinkers off - there are propeller-driven airliners outside the USA!

Here is a good site for British ones:

http://www.cbfsim.co.uk/CBFS_HOME.php

John

Well said and quite correct!    I have enjoyed the De Havilland Dove from that site and also the Vickers Viking amongst others!!  very very knowledgeable folks there as well.

I tend to do most of my flying in and around the US however.  My personal taste only !

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

I don't have anything new to add, other than to agree strongly that Rick Piper's HS748 is one of the best freeware aircraft of any kind ever released for FS9. The MAAM DC3/R4D is now a bit dated, (originally FS2002) but was so far ahead of its time when it was released that I think it's still worth the money. And don't forget that it is donation-ware so the money goes to an excellent air museum and helps keep a number of restoration projects going.

Cheers

Ian

Fraser McKay et al also have a great lockheed electra and also a great cl44 as well (available in the library if i remember right).

Xavier

This may class as a nit-pick but it may be relevant to the enquiries of the original poster.

From Wikipedia:
A propliner is a large, propeller-driven airliner. Typically, the term is used for piston-powered airliners that flew before the beginning of the jet age, not for modern turbine-powered propeller airliners.

So the aircraft we have latterly been talking about, such as the HS748, Lockheed Electra and Canadair 44 aren't, to most people, "propliners" but actually "turbo-props".

Kindest regards,

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

This may class as a nit-pick but it may be relevant to the enquiries of the original poster.

From Wikipedia:

A propliner is a large, propeller-driven airliner. Typically, the term is used for piston-powered airliners that flew before the beginning of the jet age, not for modern turbine-powered propeller airliners.

So the aircraft we have latterly been talking about, such as the HS748, Lockheed Electra and Canadair 44 aren't, to most people, "propliners" but actually "turbo-props".

Kindest regards,

John

Would I be nit-picking if I said that a Lockheed Electra isn't a turbo prop? :rolleyes:

From Wikipedia:

Kindest regards,

John

Would I be nit-picking if I said that a Lockheed Electra isn't a turbo prop? :rolleyes:

They have two (or is it three) versions of electra technically lol but using the wikipedia definition isn't a good idea as its editable by anyone (and with all the drawbacks that cone with it). The term "propliner" applied to both the large piston props like the dc-7s, starliners etc as well as the few large turboprops that briefly were in service before jets became more common (according to Jeppessen's Guided Flight Discovery book series).

Hi Folks,

I'm not here to discuss the rights and wrongs of Wikipedia (I just picked that as the first result on Google!) or any other electronic or printed source but they are all basically saying the same thing without really defining what they mean by the beginning of the jet era. However, if you referred to the L188 Electra (which is the type Fraser McKay produced the panel for, but not the model) on the California Classic site as a propliner I think you would be very firmly corrected. The much earlier and completely different aircraft of the same name was of course piston-powered.

I'm certainly not saying that they aren't all excellent models, just that I feel we have drifted away from helping the OP with his original question.

Best wishes,

John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

But the definition was "Large propeller-driven airliner"...it didn't say whether piston or turbine only. The L188, Britannia, Viscount, Vanguard, CL44, Convair 580 (ie turboprops designed in the 1940s/50s) aren't "modern turboprops". Also the L1649 starliner was also originally supposed to be turbine driven as well but thanks to engine reliability issues (then known as the L1449) and TWA/Howard Hughes...Lockheed had to redesign it to be powered by the huge turbo-compounds it had.

I honestly don't think the OP was being definition specific when referring to vintage propliners hence some of us suggesting the old Allison/Dart/Tyne turboprops.

Also britsim.com/cbfsim.org has quite a few british propliners as well (like the hp.42/45, vickers varsity).

I told them Wright brothers that if God meant man to fly he'd have given us feathers. Dang fools wouldn't listen. Kids these days........... Now back in the good old days  we would just strap on some home-made wings, climb onto a tower somewhere and happily plunge to our deaths. Ahhhh, those were the days..

LOL... It is true what you said John. For me, modern began when National Airways in New Zealand phased out their DC3s and replaced them with F27s and Viscounts.. And I'm serious about that - I look at them in my wonderful retro AI (kudos to Tom Gibson and team!!) and I still think they look "modern." "Post-modern" began with FMCs and glass cockpits and the role of the pilot becoming that of systems manager and psychologists telling flight crews how to think. Not to mention airplanes that are designed by international consortiums using CAD so they all look the same.. Sighhhhh

Hand me my Geritol and a glass of Scotch - I think I'll go back to bed.... Nyahh - I'll fire up FS9 and restore the skies to the way they ought to be!!! Fire up my HS748 "propliner" :Just Kidding:  and go fly a twin NDB approach somewhere

Note to all: This is satire, sarcasm and an attempt, no matter how pathetic, at some humor. No serious responses are needed.. Seriously....

:drinks:

Ian

Hi all,

Thanks for the kind words.

Actually, I count all airlines with external propellers as propliners, no matter their eras.  :)

Certain payware companies have done the same thing, bundling modern turboprops into a Propliner Collection or similar.

I call piston or turboprop airliners after 1945 and before 1970 Classic Propliners.  Before that they are Vintage Propliners.  After that they are Modern Propliners.  It has more to do with how they are flown and navigated than anything else.

Thanks again,

There are many.

Having only two hands and feet I can't count over 20, but there is about twice that many I would guess. :)

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.