Sign in to follow this  
yankeegolf3

warning nvidia driver auto updates

I usually update as soon as a new one is released and so far have had no problems.  They do provide some performance enhancements but I think minimal to FSX (there are other programs and graphics programs on my computer).  They do fix and bugs found and that's the main reason I upgrade.  If I'm going to own a very expensive video card, I want it to work the best it can.  I've never heard of any driver not being fsx compatible.  There can be some issues with the installation at times though and I've heard of crashes because the drivers were not installed correctly.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I've never heard of any driver not being fsx compatible.

Although it's been quite some time, I sure have heard of drivers that totally fouled things up (aka incompatible)

I usually only ever update drives once per year or so and truthfully have only ever once or twice seen any noticeable change/improvement in the visuals.  Like YankeeGolf3, I tend to wait to hear the verdict from those who can't wait to install "the latest and greatest" driver.  Saves a lot of trouble sometimes...

It was definitely flagged as an "important" update because I also went through a forced (and surprise) driver upgrade.

I don't let Windows auto-install updates for this reason. I have it set to notify me when they're available and I manually go through to make sure it isn't trying to replace any of my drivers. It's basically always best to use drivers direct from the manufacturer of the chipset for GPUs, sound cards, network cards etc. One of the network card driver updates WU tries to install on my machine totally breaks things and starts causing download and image corruption in the browser - took me forever to figure out what the cause was.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hello,

I've discussed it in the forum driver sub forum but I thought that it could interest a broader audience. Fellow simmers and myself have noticed that windows automatically updates nvidia drivers.  It seems to be a new feature. Since all drivers are not FSX compatible it can create problems whose origin is not easy to identify if you are not aware of those background updates. Besides nvidia inspector settings have to be reset. 

Reinstall your driver.

When installing a new driver (or reinstalling the one you have) always click on custom (advance) in installation options > uncheck Nvidia update (and other stuff you don't need) and do a clean install, problem fixed, if you do not want to lose your Nvidia inspector settings do not do a clean install (I always do a clean install) ....no need for the use of driver sweeper anymore.

Reinstall your driver.

When installing a new driver (or reinstalling the one you have) always click on custom (advance) in installation options > uncheck Nvidia update (and other stuff you don't need) and do a clean install, problem fixed, if you do not want to lose your Nvidia inspector settings do not do a clean install (I always do a clean install) ....no need for the use of driver sweeper anymore.

Thank you for the tip. It means that the driver setting has priority over  windows update doesn't it?

I would rather windows update took care of the operating system only and not of the drivers. Like tabs, I don't trust unwanted changes in my computer, a mess is never far from happening...at any time...

Thank you for the tip. It means that the driver setting has priority over  windows update doesn't it?

I would rather windows update took care of the operating system only and not of the drivers. Like tabs, I don't trust unwanted changes in my computer, a mess is never far from happening...at any time...

No problems, also as others point it out don't let window auto update on, set it to notify me, like that you can always chose what you want to install in your system, or, as I do myself, I have window update set at never check for update and I search for updates myself once a week, like that if your in a flight you are not wasting CPU's resources when window is searching for update = stuttering.

To keep your Inspector settings - just create an "Inspector Profiles" folder somewhere, then just export whatever setting you want (your "MS Flight Simulator X"), and then rename it as "4SxM_8xSGSS_Apr_4.nip" - or whatever scheme you want to use as a naming convention. After the clean and new driver installation and reboot - just import that profile. You can do this profile export every time you try any new settings.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I don't let Windows auto-install updates for this reason. I have it set to notify me when they're available and I manually go through to make sure it isn't trying to replace any of my drivers. It's basically always best to use drivers direct from the manufacturer of the chipset for GPUs, sound cards, network cards etc. One of the network card driver updates WU tries to install on my machine totally breaks things and starts causing download and image corruption in the browser - took me forever to figure out what the cause was.

Precisely, I don't even ask it to notify me. I simply check myself on a regular basis. I prefer full control over the process.

I have noticed, upon checking for updates, the Nvidia driver offered as an important update too. And my driver wasn't particularly old.