Sign in to follow this  
yankeegolf3

warning nvidia driver auto updates

Hello,

I've discussed it in the forum driver sub forum but I thought that it could interest a broader audience. Fellow simmers and myself have noticed that windows automatically updates nvidia drivers.  It seems to be a new feature. Since all drivers are not FSX compatible it can create problems whose origin is not easy to identify if you are not aware of those background updates. Besides nvidia inspector settings have to be reset. 

0Artur0, on 20 May 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

Any option to turn that off?

Yes, in Windows update, Change settings tab select "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and intstall them".

With this selected, Windows will notify which updates are available and you just select those you want to install. I never accept the option to update NVidia drivers - I prefer to choose those I think (based on forum feedback) are better for FSX.

Edmundo Azevedo

I have fallen victim to this dreaded thing too

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

If I'm not mistaken (always a real possibility) driver updates should appear in the "optional updates" section of Windows Updates.  I have always used the "notify & let me chose" option for updates.  I only ever install security and "important" updates but never (yes never) install the optionals. 

Isn't it true the Windows Nvidia display driver updates are more commonly called "WDDM" update, which is what you're more likely to see in the udpate list? I then right click these updates and chose 'Hide' in the pop-up menu so it never gets installed.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

If I'm not mistaken (always a real possibility) driver updates should appear in the "optional updates" section of Windows Updates. I have always used the "notify & let me chose" option for updates. I only ever install security and "important" updates but never (yes never) install the optionals.

This is normally the case. And that's how I have windows update configured. And I've never had my nVidia driver updated automatically before.

What's happened this time thou is that the nVidia driver is flagged as an important update, not an optional one as they're normally flagged. So this time I ended up with a new driver...

That's interesting.  Now I wonder whether I've gotten a new driver and never knew it-but I do have to say, my FSX looks good and seems to be running well but I will have to check my NVidea Inspector settings too.  I guess we need to start reading those "important" up dates a little more closely.

Strange.  I have Windows Update turned on but it has never updated my Nvidia drivers.  I currently have the latest beta installed and they are still installed.  Windows update would update to the latest WHQL drivers if any updating was going to happen.  That has never happened.  Now, if I have really old drivers installed, then Windows Update will show an optional update under the Options tab but will never automatically install them.  That has been my experience anyway.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for the "heads up", I just changed as I WAS getting the new drivers and all the flashes and lines from the latest versions......B42L8

hello

Strange but true. I checked in the windows update list and found a nvidia driver update flagged as important. So windows decided that it had to be installed (I have the auto update option selected).

Why does the Windows Update work for you and it does not for me and many others?  I can only surmise your drivers are completely out of date (as mine were when I first installed Windows and it offered me the option to update my Nvidia drivers).

Thanks for the info and update. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On my windows update it specifically stated drivers for GTX470. It might be depending on what card you have if the driver is installed automatically or not...?

I have the GTX580.  Like I said, I don't get the Windows Update notice because I manually keep my video card drivers up-to-date as soon as a new driver is released.  However, when I first installed Windows 7, Windows Update offered to download and install the latest video card drivers.  Once updated, I had no further options offered by Windows Update.  There has been a couple of occasions where Nvidia released bad video card drivers that were crashing systems and they recalled them and issued a later version.  I think I recall Windows Update offering to fix that problem once.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Why does the Windows Update work for you and it does not for me and many others?  I can only surmise your drivers are completely out of date (as mine were when I first installed Windows and it offered me the option to update my Nvidia drivers).

Thanks for the info and update. 

Best regards,

Jim

They were only a few months old. I am not complaining about windows update which does its job.

I prefer not to install the latest drivers because I fear that they are not FSX compatible. I wait to get reports from unlucky simmers....

regards