Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfri

Is I5 3570K still best bang for money for FSX ?

When building a new system I had this upgrade package in mind

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010641364/dustin-uppgraderingspaket-intel-i5-3570k-s-1155/

From what I understand the new Haswell is not being more than slightly better than Ivo Bridge and where I live they are somewhat

more expensive.

Or is it stupid to not build a new system with the new haswell ?

One question that comes to my mind is this. What will happen to the prices in the nearest future for both Ivo Bridge and haswell ?

I have heard that I7 does not give any advantage over I5 when it comes to FSX. Does this apply equally for the new haswell I7 and I5 ?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I do still believe the i5  3570K is the best bang for FSX.  If you play any other games it may not be, but for gaming, if the computer is ONLY going to be used for FSX, I don't see any reason to splurge on anything bigger than an i5-3570K at this time.  Haswell might change that, but until that product is released everything is speculation based on early test runs.

I have the i5 3570k and it is the best bang for your buck. I do play many other games with this processor and paired up with the EVGA GTX550TI I really have no issue maxing out any game I play so you shouldn't have any problems. My only advice is to get a decent watercooler like the Corsair H100 or H60 and a decent motherboard that you can overclock on. You'll get the most performance from that even though it does perform well for me at low clocks. I have chosen to use the lowest overclock and I still get amazing performance out of this even being a quad core. No lag and constant frames. All in all if you setup your computer correctly and efficiently (balanced - hardware wise) you will get great performance in whatever you play or use.

I do still believe the i5  3570K is the best bang for FSX.  If you play any other games it may not be, but for gaming, if the computer is ONLY going to be used for FSX, I don't see any reason to splurge on anything bigger than an i5-3570K at this time.  Haswell might change that, but until that product is released everything is speculation based on early test runs.

Well Haswell is released. One thing I noticed was that the first interesting mobo for haswell that I found supports memory speeds much higher than 1600 MHz. Could this not be important for FSX (P3D Xplane) ?

My only advice is to get a decent watercooler like the Corsair H100 or H60

Why water cooler and not for example a Noctua DH14 which from what I understand cool better then water coolers ?

Best Bang for bucks Haswell 4670k

I have started to wonder if it's not Haswell I7 4770K. Read a test where it performed clearly over 4670K and also it over clocked better

get i5 3570k the new series is not much better than than the old maybe 5% improvement.  Its diminishing returns on cpu at this point.  Only worth buying new cpu if the improvement is like 15% to 20% then it deserves a second look. 

get i5 3570k the new series is not much better than than the old maybe 5% improvement.

But why not take that 5% ?

I agreed 5% is not worth it. If you take in consideration having to buy a new mobo and cpu for that minimal return around 1 FPS more....

I agreed 5% is not worth it. If you take in consideration having to buy a new mobo and cpu for that minimal return around 1 FPS more....

For me it's not a question of upgrading from Ivo Bridge but from AMD Phenom II X4

In that case from AMD I will go sandy if you can find it if not Ivy.

Also if budget is not and issue wait for Ivybridge -E

In that case from AMD I will go sandy if you can find it if not Ivy.

Also if budget is not and issue wait for Ivybridge -E

I suppose this I5 2550K is sandy,

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010620621/intel-core-i5-2550k-3-40ghz-6mb-s-1155/

the Ivo Bridge I first had in mind was

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010622176/intel-core-i5-3570k-3-4ghz-6mb-s-1155-ivy/

and the corresponding haswell would be I5 4670K this one

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010742245/intel-core-i5-4670k-3-4ghz-6mb-s-1150/

As you can see they cost about the same therefore I see no reason not to pick the latest haswell

since it's slightly faster at the same clock.

What is Ivo Bridge E and why should it be better than haswell ? When will it come and what will it cost.

It's hardly the case that budget won't matter.

I suppose this I5 2550K is sandy,

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010620621/intel-core-i5-2550k-3-40ghz-6mb-s-1155/

the Ivo Bridge I first had in mind was

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010622176/intel-core-i5-3570k-3-4ghz-6mb-s-1155-ivy/

and the corresponding haswell would be I5 4670K this one

http://www.dustinhome.se/product/5010742245/intel-core-i5-4670k-3-4ghz-6mb-s-1150/

As you can see they cost about the same therefore I see no reason not to pick the latest haswell

since it's slightly faster at the same clock.

What is Ivo Bridge E and why should it be better than haswell ? When will it come and what will it cost.

It's hardly the case that budget won't matter.

If the prices are around the same, go Haswell. Deffinitly do not go sandy bridge, since it is two generations behind, and is slower at the same clock speed as any of the other chips. Ivy Bridge E is the new upcoming versions of the extreme processors, that will hopefully overclock higher that regular Ivy or Haswell. The thing is though, you will pay for that better overclocking.

Deffinitly do not go sandy bridge, since it is two generations behind

You say that, but the flip side is a cheaper CPU with good overclocking potential AFAIK.

You say that, but the flip side is a cheaper CPU with good overclocking potential AFAIK.

But on the site that the OP is looking at, they are the same price. Ivy also can use PCIE 3.0 instead of 2.0, meaning better graphics in other games.

i5 3570k price dropped on newegg

But why not take that 5% ?

These figured into my purchasing decision and that's why the 3570k shows up tomorrow from Newegg.

The Haswell chip would have been another $100 and for the slightly better performance (?), it wasn't worth considering. I've always seemed to purchase "just off the peak", as my C2D 6700 and not a 6800 testifies. Same for my i7 930 vs others in that cycle of chips.

While I wasn't too worried about going overboard with the credit card, I was able to take the money saved on the Ivy chip and pick up a 770 video card. The one treat I allowed myself was going to a 27" monitor at higher resolution, so I don't figure the 770 overkill for a single monitor at 2560 by 1440.

Now to ponder popping the top on the 3570k or not. The system is meant to be used for playing FSX, but in reality will spend more time doing developmental work. So I need stable, more than FPS. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

The 2500K is sandy yes, the ivy bridge- E might surpass sandy (regular non E) IPC (per clock performance) and hopefully have the solder interface.

The Haswell chip would have been another $100 and for the slightly better performance (?), it wasn't worth considering

The price on I5 3570K hasn't dropped where I live. I made a phone call to the reseller from which my links are and asked what could happen with prices in say about two months or so. The answer was not much but expect prices to stay where they are now. Do you also believe that ?

That not right, they are exploiting Ivy. My honest suggestion will be if you can wait, see what happen with Ivybridge-E or buy the sandy cpu. I bought mine 2 yrs ago, very satisficed and still going strong.

The Haswell chip would have been another $100 and for the slightly better performance (?), it wasn't worth considering. I've always seemed to purchase "just off the peak", as my C2D 6700 and not a 6800 testifies. Same for my i7 930 vs others in that cycle of chips.

The price on I5 3570K hasn't dropped where I live. I made a phone call to the reseller from which my links are and asked what could happen with prices in say about two months or so. The answer was not much but expect prices to stay where they are now. Do you also believe that ?

I need to quote myself to put the comments into perspective. My price differential was incorrect. The Haswell 4670k chip is $30 more versus the Ivy Bridge 3570k at Newegg. They have lowered the Ivy chip slightly, whereas Micro Center has lowered the 3570k a whole lot more. None anywhere close to me, as it's an in-store price, so I went with Newegg.

Good choice!!!

I hope you get a good overclocker

P.S. Good luck!!

That not right, they are exploiting Ivy. My honest suggestion will be if you can wait, see what happen with Ivybridge-E or buy the sandy cpu. I bought mine 2 yrs ago, very satisficed and still going strong.

How long would I have to wait for Ivo Bridge E ? And is it not expected to be significantly more expensive then the common Ivo Bridge ? I find it hard to see that I would be more satisfied with an older CPU if the price is about the same as a newer one.

Should be around September to October of this year, if it doesn't change. Yes it will a hair more not much. Take a look at the current Sandybridge-E prices (3820 model), it will give you a good idea of the prices. The decision is your the test has shown that Haswell run really hot even hotter that reg. Ivy. Is haswell clock for clock faster than Ivy , yes minimal 5%-10%. Ivy overclock a little higher can compensate for that again remember Ivy also run hot, but not as hot a Haswell. Can you overclock higher if you deliding , yes but say bye bye to your warranty (both with Ivy and Haswell). Also keep in mind cooling is a must , I mean great cooling, specially with Haswell  (not close loop may I add, I mean custom water cooling). Does Z87 offer more features, yes it does but again minimal, like native 6 sata 6 gb/sec ports (up by 4) and 6 USB 3 (up by 2). Two option you have here go Haswell and sacrifice overclocking, wait for Ivybridge-E and see what happen, or pick the lesser of the two evils (reg. Ivy vs haswell).

P.S. Google for Haswell heat problems and you can see for yourself. any how witch you the best of luck.