Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ahsmatt7

Night textures

I installed the shader fix that everyone is talking about. I have tried DX10 before and have really liked it....during the day.

I have the issue of not having any airport textures at night and subpar performance during the day at the flytampa airports.

This has kept me from staying with DX10. Is the shader fix supposed to fix this? Hopefully so. Is there even a fix for this? What's the cause of it? I have been so curious lately.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Have you tried Addon Converter X yet?  There is a free trial that allows you to use it for 10 minutes, the full version is like $20.  It fix a lot of the problems with addons in DX10.  The lights are still a problem even with this software, but it should fix a lot of your missing textures and blank AI aircraft and vehicles and things.

I installed the full version but I actually never got it too work. I chalked it up to a lousy software and of operater error lol.

Next thing would be to write the developer of the DX10 incompatable software to try and urge them to start making their addons DX10 compatable.  There is a little push happening as people are starting to realize that with Steve's fixes that DX10 is the future of FSX.  I could never go back to DX9.

You really think that would help? I never gave that a thought. I was wear bing the dx10 forum and appearently there is some guy named Steve working on a fix for everything wrong with dx10 but I don't really know anything about that.

I would suggest giving DX10 a shot.  It has kept me simming, no doubt.  You can always revert back to DX9 if you want to, but you won't want to.

Go check out the "how to" section in the DX10 forum and follow the directions.  The improvement gains I have seen with it is night and day.  I tried going back to DX9, and after seeing a constantly smooth 30 fps in most situations in DX10, the same scenarios would bring me upper teens and low 20s, with constant fluctuations in DX9.

Mileage varies, but DX10 seems to force FSX to utilize your hardware better, which is important with newer systems.

Night textures problems keep me in DX9 mode. Hope there will be a fix soon.

What's the cause of the missing textures?

I just switch back to dx9 if I have a night flight easy fix takes like 10 sec to edit the.cfg

takes 10 seconds to edit the fix but i would have to restart the sim in order for the changes to take effect.

takes 10 seconds to edit the fix but i would have to restart the sim in order for the changes to take effect.

If you do it via the FSX.cgf file before you fly you don't have to reset you sim.

I have read elsewhere that airport lighting needs fixing but I cannot find anywhere that mentions in particular the lack of lights in the autgen buildings either with GEX, Orbx, or default. Have I simply missed a setting somewhere. Incidently I have replaced 3.2.1 with 3.2.2 and that has fixed my flittery taxi/runway. .......and my aliasing is so minimal it makes me giggle.

Any ideas on the building lights?

Thanks

If you do it via the FSX.cgf file before you fly you don't have to reset you sim.
so if I'm flying during the day than into the night, then what will I do?

so if I'm flying during the day than into the night, then what will I do?

If I know I'll be flying till its dark I just use dx9 hopefully the new DX10 fixes will be comming soon and finally solve all the issues

Yeah see that's why I haven't switched to dx10 yet. The texture fix installer is not long away so hopefully that will truly fix the issues.

If I know I'll be flying till its dark I just use dx9 hopefully the new DX10 fixes will be comming soon and finally solve all the issues

Yeah see that's why I haven't switched to dx10 yet. The texture fix installer is not long away so hopefully that will truly fix the issues.

Soon???!!! Do you know something more about this?:)

Soon???!!! Do you know something more about this?:)

Paul is kind of Steve's spokesperson on this forum and in another thread (which i can't remember) he stated that Steve was almost done with it.

Like everyone else on DX10 I can hardly wait!

Paul is kind of Steve's spokesperson on this forum and in another thread (which i can't remember) he stated that Steve was almost done with it.

you took the words right of my mouth

These are GREAT news!!!!!!!!!! I visit Steve's blog everyday.

These are GREAT news!!!!!!!!!! I visit Steve's blog everyday.

Yea, it supposedly works great and should be ready for release in a couple of weeks.

I was going to start a new thread on this topic but I'll ask it here since it seems to directly pertain to the OP...

What is the issue with night textures/night flying with DX10? I've read a number of comments about reverting to DX9 for night flying. I've read remarks about everything being 'grey'. Is this an issue with certain add-ons or fundamental to FSX? I don't seem to have any issues with DX10 at night, but my installation (scenery-wise) is pretty basic... GEX NA plus a handful of freeware airport & misc. add-ons.

Is this an issue with certain add-ons ?

Yep. That's it. The problem comes with almost all airports of Aerosoft and Flytampa. And I have so many of these two developers. FSDreamTeam airports are DX10 compatible.

I don't know what Steve has in mind to fix this but Aerosoft and Flytampa said that they won't make DX10 versions in the future.

Mostly from info gleaned from Steve, there are lots of reasons for grey textures, and here are just a few: there are some issues caused by unfixed DX10 shader coding errors (made by the MS ACES Team): devs who use old, comfortable tools and methods: legacy bgl's (FS7 and FS8 use different methods for handling transparency, for e.g.): some devs don't include, or miss, night textures: using differently-sized day and night textures: shaders compiled with the wrong flags set, etc..   

Mid-Atlantic Air Museum (MAAM) without fix.. The first pic is a chain-link fence. Same fence, corrected. Other pics show the internal hangar lights working, but with an opaque fence. Here are a couple from Steve's testing, (AeroSoft's Mega Paris)  back in December 2012:

Fly Tampa's scenery's are mostly not compatible, showing grey boxes along the runway's grass edging: FlightBeam's KSFO has water texture problems, with grey walls and square green blocks for taxyway lighting, plus other issues. FSDT is similar, though Umberto is responding to our growing demands for scenery compatibility, with FlightBeam probably working on their's too. FlyTampa has slipped a long way from it's #1 position in the quality scenery world, with odd airports spread globally, and only two which are DX10-compliant (Grenadines and Hong-Kong), and very little (stated) intention of coding for DX10.

.. and then there is our Sim-Addons, with it's fabulous, growing line of fully-compliant Canadian airports! If they take the "trouble" to do it - why can't the rest???

Thanks jewel and Paul - that clears that up for me.

Those results of Steve's on the AeroSoft Paris look really promising!

Yeah flytampa is becoming a distant favorite of mine