Sign in to follow this  
IFR7700

Sky Rings

I'm running FSX in DX-10 mode.  I use OpusFSX with HDEV2 (Glover).  I also fly with MSEv2 scenery.  I'm not even sure this is a DX-10 problem, but I know there are some gurus in here that might be able to help. 

My sky environment is ugly.  The worst part is the concentric rings in the sky.  Also, when I am close to clouds, they look very blotchy, almost as if they are very low resolution.  I'm sure the two problems are related.  Any ideas on how to fix this?

2e6f294d-dc16-48ed-b3e0-74bbe1cabdf2_zps

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

Hi Dennis, i have never seen this, but I have an issue that might be related. I also have Opus (and Megascenery and have tried HDEv2 for that matter, but i dont think those have anything to do with this)

The problem i am getting is that sometimes while flying the top cirrus-cloudlayer is duplicated in the sky and very close on top of the original. Doesn't look good, but i always forget to look up if others have the same issue and maybe a fix. So thanks for reminding me.

It might be that you also have a cloudlayer-issue, but the weird thing is that on on you picture every layer you see a different sky color to make these rings visible.. I don't have that fortunately, so maybe our problems aren't related.

I'm gonna do some internet searching. If I find anything that could help you, i will let you know!

The problem i am getting is that sometimes while flying the top cirrus-cloudlayer is duplicated in the sky

Mork, that problem is an FSX bug. I have seen it too from time to time. There is no cure I believe.

I'm running FSX in DX-10 mode. I use OpusFSX with HDEV2 (Glover). I also fly with MSEv2 scenery. I'm not even sure this is a DX-10 problem, but I know there are some gurus in here that might be able to help.

Try disabling MSE in the lib, maybe a conflict with the HDE Sky textures.

Go here and download these superb sky textures from Gabriel, and see if that fixes your isse.

The link is in post #65

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/409867-guys-do-you-have-interest-in-this-set-of-sky-textures-for-using-with-enb-series-warn-heavy-topic/page-3

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Thanks Julian, I can't seem to find a solution either. Nor on the problem shown by Dennis in the OP.
Too bad..

Thanks Julian, I can't seem to find a solution either. Nor on the problem shown by Dennis in the OP.

Too bad..

Yes, I saw a post by Stephen @Opus who stated that it is another quirk in the way FSX places cloud textures. Glad it does not do it all the time :)

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

On a lark, I removed my fsx.cfg file and let FSX regenerate a new one.  VOILA!!  Sky rings are gone.  Now to methodically determine which entry is the culprit.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

Those rings look like you didn't have any texture filtering enabled. You need at least bi-linear filtering or you'll see the effect you've described.

Dave Garwood.

Well, the methodical procedure I implemented to troubleshoot my fsx.cfg file sort of fell apart when I confused my old cfg with my new cfg and a couple of cut and pastes later I essentially had garbage.

The only thing left to do was let FSX start a new cfg file. I then went step by step through the AVSIM Software and Hardware Guide. My sim is now purring along with beautiful scenery. I'm a happy, though brain-dead camper.

Those rings look like you didn't have any texture filtering enabled. You need at least bi-linear filtering or you'll see the effect you've described.

I think you might be right. I thought I saw the AA filter unticked. Something so simple .... geez.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

"I'm a happy, though brain-dead camper."

It starts to happen once you've hit 45, Dennis. At 68, I know about these things - I'm still looking for my glasses since breakfast.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

"I'm a happy, though brain-dead camper."

It starts to happen once you've hit 45, Dennis. At 68, I know about these things - I'm still looking for my glasses since breakfast.

They're on your head.