Sign in to follow this  
flyaway

New system, help picking cpu

I'll never go back to air. My H60 system performs great and more importantly to me, is near silent.

It's very nice to hear that.

Decided to go with Haswell. Now the question is, air or water for cooling?

Depends upon the case and what it might allow. My case allows me to take off the rear fan and move it onto the side panel, now I have a lovely spot to mount the radiator and fans. An h100i isn't going to do something like that, AFAIK. But there are cases setup where the h100i can go on top of the inside, if the tube routing allows for that.

Depends upon the case and what it might allow. My case allows me to take off the rear fan and move it onto the side panel, now I have a lovely spot to mount the radiator and fans. An h100i isn't going to do something like that, AFAIK. But there are cases setup where the h100i can go on top of the inside, if the tube routing allows for that.

In that scenario I could get a case with water cooling capabilities. They arent hard to find, I would just need to do some research first.

There are plenty of cases set up for a top mounted H100i.

Even my old Lian Li will do it. One of the things you have to watch out for though, is motherboard clearance. You may find a case with top mounted 140 fans, that you think will do it, but then the cooler is impeded by the MB. The Corsair 300R is one of those case with MB clarence issues. 

The new Corsair 330R on the other hand, has been designed to take both the H100i and the H110. It's designed as a silent case, but still has very good air flow, thanks to the direct airflow path.

Then of course you could really impress your friends with the new Corsair Air 540 cube case. Fantastic airflow and looks rather cool.

http://www.corsair.com/us/pc-cases/carbide-series-pc-case/carbide-series-air-540-high-airflow-atx-cube-case.html

540 and 330R here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPjcMaK1IMc