Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

How is Scotland

More beer! :drinks: But no, I won't buy Scotland.  ^_^ I will get FTXG first and maybe I will get Scotland later on, but I really don't feel like buying it.

Of course it all depends on what you focus on but indeed, I don't need payware airport addons (anymore) to have fun. I spend more time in the air anyway and the freeware Norway airports are nice enough to give me the illusion I am somewhere out there. Right now I am all into flying using VOR only again, in Norway this time, and it's big fun. As I said I am already really enjoying the free scenery, even with default textures (but with a lot of help of OpusFSX and a few REX textures!) The last half year I mostly flew the 737NGX but always to default airports, even though I actually owned payware versions of them! I just didn't bother to install them (and lose 10 fps or so).

Let me add by saying that within a month or two I might be posting the opposite LOL

JvE, I understand your fascination of Norway :good:

Here is my FSX recipe to enjoy Norway:

1. FTX Global.

2. Most detailed mesh available for Norway (Payware/Freeware).

3. PMDG J41 (best taste is acquired with FS2Crew J41 Voice).

4. Widerøe livery for J41 (Norwegian regional airline) can be found here: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=wideroe&FileName=&Author=&CatID=fsxacrp

5. Sprinkle this with norwegian payware/freeware airports (minimum 5 good payware exists). Freeware here: http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx/norway.html

Route map for Widerøe here: http://www.wideroe.no/en/tickets/destinations

Many Widerøe destinations have a challenging approach and basic navigational equipment.

Oh, did I mention that Widerøe has a route to Aberdeen in Scotland as well  :Party:

Well I've been away from Flight Simming for a few months, although obviously the latest releases wing their way to my inbox from suppliers I've used in the past.

Interesting to read how much better many "regulars" find Scotland than England and even more .....well more what?  Disappointing?  Reassuring? Disgusting?  ....I refer of course to the many of us who've bought loads of ORBX titles and have been sadly disappointed by England to the point we've uninstalled it!!! :huh:

You'd have thought that with such a significant simming market they'd have done or at least announced a major "makeover" for the UK?  I'm sure I'm not alone in deciding that it was such a disappointment that I'll not be spending any money on UK airfields they produce unless they do something to improve the standard of England as a region to start with.

Please don't rehash all the "obvious" discussion about England from threads on it's release :rolleyes:  but if anyone knows of any plans for a makeover I'd be interested. 

Obviously Global may grab the attention of Jet Jockeys ...but us Low N Slow types want higher, better depth low down.  Including Major Airports (as in Wales) is no inducement for GA pilots when landmarks and coastlines make for more realistic scenery.

Geoff

Geoff Brown

"Well, it won't be as long now as it was before," said the lawn mower driver to the monkey ...!

"Well, it won't be long now," as the monkey said to the lawn mower driver after waking up with a jolt...!

:lol: ....maybe we need a noisier mower?!

:LMAO:    ....but then "None so deaf as those who don't want to hear?" :huh:

.....btw delighted to hear that folk have noted a distinct improvement in Scotland?  ...although it's a very different geography to most of England.

Geoff Brown

Above is evidence of running out of worth while small talk while waiting for what we hope is worthwhile big action!  :spiteful:

I suppose there is such a rare thing as common sense that states that if there is nothing worthwhile saying, then it would

it be better to say nothing at all,

...but who gives a flying fig for common sense when there is not an over abundance of it to begin with.

Running out of worth while small talk while waiting! :spiteful:

:lol: ...but on the bright side Stephen there's been LOADS of excellent new Bush/GA/STOL aircraft released that my "buck" goes to, to fly the regions and airports I already have? 

The folk who listen get my buck every time? ^_^

Geoff Brown

Obviously Global may grab the attention of Jet Jockeys ...but us Low N Slow types want higher, better depth low down.  Including Major Airports (as in Wales) is no inducement for GA pilots when landmarks and coastlines make for more realistic scenery.

Good to see you back Geoff,

Not sure only the jet jockeys will be interested. My two favourite planes being the Lancair and the Turbine Duke, I could qualify as a "often" Low and slow type. After having seen the screenshots, I expect a better sense of immersion with those crisper textures and autogen, particularly for low flying over areas we aren't familiar with.

If one adds them to a decent lanclass and mesh, towns, villages and forests actually look as they should and not just the scattered all over the place autogen we had untill now.  Add to that more eye-pleasing colours (probably too pleasing as they often seem too green ?), a part of my brain might be tricked into thinking "wow, this looks so nice, this MUST be real".  :ohmy:

Will FTXG make FSX look like what you see out of your window ? Probably not. But it does look believable  :smile:  

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4