Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

How is Scotland

Now also looking forward to Ireland, just wishing Orbx changes their minds and not slice it into two packages (Eire & Northern Ireland planned to be sold separately) for cashflow reasons.

Having been there, I would love to see this beautiful island re-united, even if it is only in a sim...  

Two regions for Ireland ...that's plain unnecessary (ridiculous)....just make it one region...don't put out the scenery until it is all completed...adjust the price as they see fit for a one region approach. 

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I live in Galloway; Scotland

The Scottish scenery created by Orbx is a fair rendition of Scotland and is done well.

Can it be improved? Oh yes!

How? Well, for one, there are roads missing and some of the water data is off.

Is it worth purchasing? In my opinion; yes.

England was below average; Scotland on the other hand was done very well.

Two regions for Ireland ...that's plain unnecessary (ridiculous)....just make it one region...don't put out the scenery until it is all completed...adjust the price as they see fit for a one region approach. 

Agreed. The area of the Ireland's two jurisdictions doesn't even make up half the area of the PNW.

When Orbx Ireland was announced, I considered it an automatic buy, along with the UK areas, even considering how it's been priced and marketed. What I hear, though, is that the UK still isn't in a satisfactory state, and I don't see much point in owning the other areas of the British Isles if the largest component is missing.

The result is that I haven't bought any of the UK relaeases and I don't intend to do so unless something changes significantly. Ditto for Ireland. At least it takes some pressure off the wallet :smile:, and if you don't own an area, there's no pressure to buy the associated airfields.

My existing scenery does a reasonable job anyway.

Jean-Paul said it very well. Scotland is definately your Bush Zone within the UK, so get your C185, Cub, or other bush favourite warmed up, and get out flying!

It's not referred to as Bonny Scotland for nothing, y'know! :smile:

I'm 50 miles south of the English/Scottish border (that's the English side for those with questionable geography skills!) and FTX Scotland feels very convincing to me... whereas England just felt like a little sterotype arcade-style zone of what someone thought England should be like in FSX.  (Yes I know it was made by an English Dev Team).

Scotland all the way - beautiful bush flying around the lakes, highlands and islands!

Ireland in two parts - that is crazy; profiteering in my honest opinion. Just because there may be a political boundary between the North and South of Ireland in real life, does not mean the product should be split in two. Won't be spending the hard earned on that, just the same as I passed on Wales.

My existing scenery does a reasonable job anyway.

What's your existing scenery?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I decided to not buy Scotland. I am done with regions, really... I think I will buy FTX Norway whenever it will be released but other then that I am done with spending money on smallish regions. I will get FTX Global to improve the overall experience a little but that's it for now. I am enjoying the freeware Norway addons which look fine even with default FSX textures. Add FTXG to it and it will be good enough for me.

This hobby is costing me too much, really. I have spend too much money on addons I don't use at ALL. Last week I reinstalled my PC and FSX and reinstalled just a few basic addons. I only reinstalled the Norway freeware and no other scenery addons at all, even though I own a LOT of Orbx stuff. Yesterday I even deleted a few addons (planes and utilities) because I can't imagine using them ever again...

I plan on spending more time with what I have instead of spending time on looking at what I should buy next. It sometimes almost feels like a very unhealthy addiction... ^_^

I decided to not buy Scotland. I am done with regions, really... I think I will buy FTX Norway whenever it will be released but other then that I am done with spending money on smallish regions. I will get FTX Global to improve the overall experience a little but that's it for now. I am enjoying the freeware Norway addons which look fine even with default FSX textures. Add FTXG to it and it will be good enough for me.

This hobby is costing me too much, really. I have spend too much money on addons I don't use at ALL. Last week I reinstalled my PC and FSX and reinstalled just a few basic addons. I only reinstalled the Norway freeware and no other scenery addons at all, even though I own a LOT of Orbx stuff. Yesterday I even deleted a few addons (planes and utilities) because I can't imagine using them ever again...

I plan on spending more time with what I have instead of spending time on looking at what I should buy next. It sometimes almost feels like a very unhealthy addiction... ^_^

I know and understand exactly where you're coming from Jeroen, as I often feel the same way too. In fact, I have a few airports that I've only flown from a couple of times!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

What's your existing scenery?

I use UTX+GEX - which covers all of Europe, of course, giving a much better bang-for-your-buck. In addition, there are some excellent freeware add-ons for Irish airfields.

I know and understand exactly where you're coming from Jeroen, as I often feel the same way too. In fact, I have a few airports that I've only flown from a couple of times!

Which is why I haven't bought the last - I can't remember exactly - five newest ENG airports.  Its all just too much money.  I flew into Concrete - the first Orbx airport yesterday testing out SimLauncher for another guy related to wrong positioning...it was the first time I had been there in a year...it was like a whole new airport I really enjoyed flying up the valley again.

I'm thinking that UK2000 has a better pricing model for ENG airports but again I just don't see the need for me to have fun.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I'm thinking that UK2000 has a better pricing model for ENG airports but again I just don't see the need for me to have fun.

Of course it all depends on what you focus on but indeed, I don't need payware airport addons (anymore) to have fun. I spend more time in the air anyway and the freeware Norway airports are nice enough to give me the illusion I am somewhere out there. Right now I am all into flying using VOR only again, in Norway this time, and it's big fun. As I said I am already really enjoying the free scenery, even with default textures (but with a lot of help of OpusFSX and a few REX textures!) The last half year I mostly flew the 737NGX but always to default airports, even though I actually owned payware versions of them! I just didn't bother to install them (and lose 10 fps or so).

Let me add by saying that within a month or two I might be posting the opposite LOL

Let me add by saying that within a month or two I might be posting the opposite LOL

Took the words right out of my mouth. :lol:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Took the words right out of my mouth. :lol:

:drinks:

Self-knowledge comes with the years... I just knew someone here would say something like that (and rightly so) so that's why I said it myself. Makes me look less like a moron in a month (or week) or two... :P

The ability to laugh at one's self, is of the highest importance Jeroen, :smile: and besides, many of us change our perspectives of this hobby over time.    I too tend to alternative between the minimalist / simplistic version of the hobby (fewer addons installed, more honest good flying) and the super complex side of the hobby. :)

And I feel exactly the same as you about the addiction side of the hobby regarding spending.... sometimes, for me, it's the rush of the spend, more than from any real expectation to get much enjoyment from the purchase.

Case in point;   On Friday, I was bored and wanted to buy something for FSX, but couldn't find anything I wanted.   I ended up buying the Lionheart Avalina.....  :blink:   .......Man, what was that about! ..... a futuristic, electric-powered airplane.... no offence to LHC as their last two offerings have been a real step up, but that Avelina should have been a thought that stayed as a thought in Bill Ortis's mind! :lol:

I flew it once for 10 minutes, then unistalled, and deleted it from my disc....

FSX can be a spending addiction, and sometimes the belief that you'll get fun from a purchase can be illusive.

:smile:

PS.... Jeroen - Scotland is very comparable with Norway in many ways... :wink: .... Mountains / Valleys / Lochs / Fjords ........ geographically, they have quite a lot in common.    If you love flying in Norway, I do think you'd love FTX SCO.  :) 

Another :drinks:!

And pleeeeeeeeeeease don't try to talk me into buying Scotland...!!! :P

Jeroen,

Come on now! Buy Scotland and tell me what you think. We go back so far I think we almost must look alike!

Kind regards,