Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

How is Scotland

Scotland = Awesome Quite Simply IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART

I like to think I can offer an unbiased opinion on Orbx products. Although a stauch supporter, I nevertheless am aware of some of the shortcomings of some of their scenery, although they are few and far between, purely because they have set the bar so high. eg. I am overly enthused about PNW and in particular NZ but have been a little disappointed with England, but Scotland IMO is excellent.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Guest Q_flyer

Just picked this up, and WOW, it is in a different league to England (which, as a resident Englishman, I too had to unintstall as it was just miles away from being a realistic representation of England, and had too many issues)...... Scotland is fantastic.

I'm a little odd and tend to feel differently to the majority about most products;.... Eg... FTX NZ which most people like, I unistalled (both islands :( ) as it just did not feel convincing at all to me, and I just felt like I was flying over cartoon-like textures, for the most part.  (I love NZ in real life BTW!).... PNW I agree with majority on, but CRM is my fave FTX region to date; vastly underrated and wonderful textures up around eastern Idaho and Montana.... CRM is a real beauty and IMO the best Orbx have done.

If I were categorizing the FTX regions that I own so far, I would say :-

- CRM
- SCO
- PNW
- Austalia (full)
- NZ NI
- NZ SI
- .....(a long way down) ENG

Cheers.

Andrew,

it's not about lying blatantly or manipulating decisions - just look through those threads about Captain Sim, FS9, 2D panels, weather radar ... or even read through the other ORBX topics - you'll see exactly what I mean!

Andrew,

Odd that you should take quarrel with my Orbx-centric statement. I have made a lot of statements much more worthy of questioning throughout these forums! :blush: I have been making a fool of myself on a regular basis around here, just ask Ian or KayJay!

Insofar as to who is who and what bias and slant we each bring to the table goes, most of us know each other pretty well, and could retell each other's Orbx history remarkably well. We could even take a wild guess to where you are coming from, but won't. :rolleyes:

It is obvious to me that we are all Orbx-centric, since we care about them and their products. We buy and cheer when they do it well, and try not to when they don't. Over the years many here have bought many of their products primarily to support them financially, more than you would know as a newcomer.

Everything isn't always as they appears Andrew, and there are undercurrents within undercurrents where old antagonists and friends talk to each other within plain sight. If you really are new, you won't get that. If not, you do.

So just to get a handle on your comparative expertise, how many ORBX sceneries do you own? What is your opinion on England, Wales and Scotland compared to say, PNW, NZSI and AU Red (a favorite of mine because of Alice Springs)? What do you recommend for those of us who have not committed yet?

Kind regards,

We have strayed off topic once again....I agree with you above comment Stephen...quite frankly who cares really what Orbx-centric may or may not mean...I just took it for my own intrepretation...ie someone totally consumed with Orbx products that they would not see anything wrong no matter what.

I love Orbx products, do most of my flying in their regions, but there have been issues and I will comment on those issues, ie the Edinburgh airport issue, lack of bridges in ENG, the lack of churches in ENG, the lack of significant heritage churches' buildings in ENG, trees upon approaches the need to be felled all of which have been more or less addressed by the developer who does response to the criticisms to a level that they can.

While I love the products I don't fall over myself with ga ga goo goo developer worship.  Just what I believe as fair comments ie my very earlier post.

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Guest meshman

... or KayJay!

Oh Stephen... That's not the way to get onto someone's Christmas card list! :lol:

Oh Stephen... That's not the way to get onto someone's Christmas card list!

No insult intended, just a little poke for tradition's sake, to keep up appearances... (actually, most times I rather like the guy).

Back to the subject at hand:

Someone who opinion I usually respect gives Scotland a thumbs down and showed me a bizarre screenshot of a mall like building with a weird parking lot etc. However, the above writers for the most part are known to be critical of Orbx when warranted and supportive when deserved.

I might buy at this point, although I do did not like FTX England. I am not too thrilled with the pricing when Wales is included either, so I am still iffy. I am sure lots of people are lined up around the block buying as fast as they can. I hope so, and may join them when I make up my mind.

Can't find THAT screenshot ...

I was shown the screenshot while talking to someone on Team Speak.

I admit sitting on the fence as well.  I've been wanting to start flying across the pond but what I've heard for the most part is that the scenery is iffy or extremely expensive...take your pick.  Default scenery sent me running away in horror after I completed the NGX tutorial flights.  I'd hoped to find something but not having England is just a show stopper for me moving over there.  I spoze I could just pick up the Aerosoft Greek islands and goof around there if I were inclined.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Stephen,

I'd say go for it. I was only mildly impressed by England even if it didnt stop me from buying Wales. I haven't had much time over Scotland yet but I can already say it's in another league. It's also much more fun to explore with plenty of islands to fly to. Sort of U.K. bush flying :-)

Now also looking forward to Ireland, just wishing Orbx changes their minds and not slice it into two packages (Eire & Northern Ireland planned to be sold separately) for cashflow reasons.

Having been there, I would love to see this beautiful island re-united, even if it is only in a sim...  

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Andrew,

Odd that you should take quarrel with my Orbx-centric statement. I have made a lot of statements much more worthy of questioning throughout these forums! :blush: I have been making a fool of myself on a regular basis around here, just ask Ian or KayJay!

Insofar as to who is who and what bias and slant we each bring to the table goes, most of us know each other pretty well, and could retell each other's Orbx history remarkably well. We could even take a wild guess to where you are coming from, but won't. :rolleyes:

It is obvious to me that we are all Orbx-centric, since we care about them and their products. We buy and cheer when they do it well, and try not to when they don't. Over the years many here have bought many of their products primarily to support them financially, more than you would know as a newcomer.

Everything isn't always as they appears Andrew, and there are undercurrents within undercurrents where old antagonists and friends talk to each other within plain sight. If you really are new, you won't get that. If not, you do.

So just to get a handle on your comparative expertise, how many ORBX sceneries do you own? What is your opinion on England, Wales and Scotland compared to say, PNW, NZSI and AU Red (a favorite of mine because of Alice Springs)? What do you recommend for those of us who have not committed yet?

Kind regards,

Hi Stephen

'Quarrel' is a strong word - please please please understand I am certainly not angry or even arguing.

I found your comment odd (different to what is usual in my world); nothing more and nothing less - ok?

As far as where I am coming from, I am not sure I understand what you mean here? All I can confirm and tell you is: I love FSX (and hate it too!), I am Greek of Cypriot origin, I have a few flight simulators & a 'LOT' of add-ons - That is it!

This is going to sound (well I don't know but here goes) funny maybe? - I am not sure how many ORBX sceneries I own!!! I bought about 12 from Aviationmegastore during a sale once but can't remember which ones they were? I haven't even installed them; I have only installed my downloads. I suppose the answer to how many sceneries I own is over 80%.

If I am going to be completely honest here (which I am); I have spent more of the past three years in the hobby learning and building rather than flying in FSX.

I am currently in Dubai and have to be up very early in the morning to catch my flight home, so I will come back to this post next week when I have more time; and hopefully you will get my 'Handle'.

As far as expertise goes think 'Rank Amateur'

Oli

Your reply seems sincere but please forgive me for not having neither the will nor desire to search old posts :)

Kind Regards

Andrew

I am currently in Dubai and have to be up very early in the morning to catch my flight home, so I will come back to this post next week when I have more time; and hopefully you will get my 'Handle'.

Have a safe flight home!

We will talk when we can. Thank you for your interest in what we even have to say here.

Kind regards,

Have a safe flight home!

We will talk when we can. Thank you for your interest in what we even have to say here.

Kind regards,

Thank you

It seems here there is a whole new community I have to discover.

Regards

Andrew