Greetings!

I inherited my good looks and intelligence from my Dad. 

Unfortunately, I also inherited a genetic condition called "essential tremor". It is a "twitch switch" that acts up at the worst times, i.e., when trying to balance a full coffee cup on a dish when walking halfway across the restaurant, or more colloquially, when operating a top hat switch on a Logitech controller. I can "scan" easily enough into a turn, but have a devil of a time getting back to the rest position! Twitch, twitch, twitch!!!

I find myself reaching up and around the stick to use the numeric keypad. Finite, defined movements, and pressing "5" returns you to your seat. I have been thinking about getting a USB numeric keypad that I can use for my left hand.

Anybody else have a trick for this?

Thanks!

JKH

PS: Essential tremor can be mitigated, medicated if you want, by alcohol. That's my story and I am sticking with it... :lol:

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

The generic numb-pad would be a cheap fix. I use space-bar to reset my view back to looking forward after panning about, its an easier target than the '5'

I use EZDoc and assign a joystick button to return to the forward view. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

The generic numb-pad would be a cheap fix. I use space-bar to reset my view back to looking forward after panning about, its an easier target than the '5'

Hi Chris, 

Never knew that about the space bar. Just tried it and it worked ONCE. Will have to investigate...

I use EZDoc and assign a joystick button to return to the forward view. 

Heya Greg, 

Just looked up the EZdoc (versus EZdock, which would be appropriate if I owned a boat!) site. Looks like a lot of capability. Will check it out.

Question: do you enable the "effects"? I tried the Opus effects, but I feel they are overkill on top of AccuFeel. Opinion?

Thanks!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

TrackIR. Two buttons required, Pause and Centre View. Twitch free looking around. :biggrin:

How long does it take for 'smug' to wear off after buying an EV?

"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled". Whoever said it wasn't wrong!

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "Flight Simulator Tips and Tricks" to "Hardware Controllers & Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Hi Chris, 

Never knew that about the space bar. Just tried it and it worked ONCE. Will have to investigate...

Heya Greg, 

Just looked up the EZdoc (versus EZdock, which would be appropriate if I owned a boat!) site. Looks like a lot of capability. Will check it out.

Question: do you enable the "effects"? I tried the Opus effects, but I feel they are overkill on top of AccuFeel. Opinion?

Thanks!

I use some of the effects but not much.  A little head-movement and that's about it.  If you get it just be careful that you follow the instructions...that half-hour spent will save you an enormous amount of time instead of guessing and getting frustrated.  It's pretty easy once you've got the hang of it.  You could check out the effects on some of the videos...might be some on youtube.  I like the smooth transitions.  It's a simple way to adjust your position in the cockpit too...forward, back, up, down...to get the right spot.  I use a hat switch assigned to forward, left, right and back-left.  Works good...would hate to fly without it. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

@JKH

I use OpusFSX and AccuFeel together. My preference was to disable all the head motion in Opus and stick to AccuFeel. The sounds and environmental effects in AccuFeel outweighed the benefits of the Opus DHM for me.

You might want to look at the Opus camera views. At one point I had half dozen views mapped to joystick buttons/hat switch. Couple of side views, an IFR/head down view, etc.

PS: I've seen similar joystick mapping for EzDoc as well.

@JKH

I use OpusFSX and AccuFeel together. My preference was to disable all the head motion in Opus and stick to AccuFeel. The sounds and environmental effects in AccuFeel outweighed the benefits of the Opus DHM for me.

You might want to look at the Opus camera views. At one point I had half dozen views mapped to joystick buttons/hat switch. Couple of side views, an IFR/head down view, etc.

Heya Henry, 

That is a pretty good suggestion - pre-define some camera views that allow me look into the turn and then back again. Since I already have Opus I think I will explore that.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

JKH

John Howell