Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Scenery cost

If it's the UK you want, I don't think that there is much disagreement that ORBX FTX England, Scotland and Wales are the tops.

Nope.   You will find plenty of people who drastically prefer the Horizon GenX VFR Photoscenery for the UK (with Earth Simulations Treescapses), over Orbx FTX England.

Thanks guys.  This is a good place to start.  I'm starting with the free stuff mentioned earlier.  Looking forward to exploring Europe.

Nope. You will find plenty of people who drastically prefer the Horizon GenX VFR Photoscenery for the UK (with Earth Simulations Treescapses), over Orbx FTX England.

I've heard that England isn't so good...but Wales and Scotland are good. 

Head over to flightstore for 30-50% ORBX FTX sceneries.

I didn't even know that site existed.  Wish they had a download option.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I didn't even know that site existed. Wish they had a download option.

Ive downloaded all my ORBX stuff from them

Ive downloaded all my ORBX stuff from them

I don't see a download option.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Oh, maybe the sale is only on boxed products then

The sale is for boxed Orbx but at $22 for most of the Orbx regions and airports downloads, they are way cheaper then most scenery addons and much better quality then most.

I've heard that England isn't so good...but Wales and Scotland are good.

Yep, I'd agree with that. (Although I don't own Wales to be honest). FTX Scotland is fantastic. But England just missed the mark that Orbx usually set. It's not terrible but the representation of towns and cities (especially their sizing) is so far from reality that it just feels like a fictional version of England. It needs more Churches, more landmarks, and bigger city representations for big cities like Manchester, Birmingham & Newcastle; which currently look like small villages!

On the general point of the cost of scenery; I tend to agree. Scenery does feel relatively more expensive than aircraft and utility addons. Whereas I buy almost all new aircraft add-on releases (a part from a few I wouldn't touch!), I am very choosy with scenery.

Compared to other hobbies I think scenery is quite cheap for the quality. I highly recommend buying it.

While the initial outlay might be "expensive" (as I said its not compared to many other boys hobbies!) it lasts forever and doesn't break.

You don't need to spend much to get a lot. Get a few sceneries close by and you can fly in photoreal scenery basically the whole way!

Look at Flytampa, for the outlay for what you get it is very little outlay! They pack so much into it!!! Look at Dubai.....a whole city!!! As well as the airport.

I didn't even know that site existed. Wish they had a download option.

But they have a a very fast delivery system. I've bought tons of stuff from them and besides the 30%--50% savings on some of the FTX stuff, they have a kind of loyalty/bonus scheme where each time you make a purchase from them, you get points which can be converted to money off next time you make a purchase. They are a store based in Yorks..

Much as a download option has its advantages, so has having hard copies, as a hard drive storing downloads can just as easily go down. Your choice, your savings, really, at the end of the day.

Compared to other hobbies I think scenery is quite cheap for the quality. I highly recommend buying it.

While the initial outlay might be "expensive" (as I said its not compared to many other boys hobbies!) it lasts forever and doesn't break.

You don't need to spend much to get a lot. Get a few sceneries close by and you can fly in photoreal scenery basically the whole way!

Look at Flytampa, for the outlay for what you get it is very little outlay! They pack so much into it!!! Look at Dubai.....a whole city!!! As well as the airport.

That's a very good point.  

I guess I always tend to think that a new aircraft development contains a lot of complexity, whereas scenery is about a decent ground image, then modelled objects;  but I know, I know, I know, that's a crazy simplification!  ...... I guess just personally, I am more comfortable handing over money for aircraft than for sceneries.   £25 for an aircraft versus £25 for an airport.... know what I mean?

But then again, some aircraft addons are poor value for £25, and some scenery packages (like the huge PNG Bush Flying Package, from Pacific Island Simulations) are amazing value for money.

So I know my thoughts aren't exactly logical;  but generally, I'll hand over cash more willingly for airplanes than for scenery.

That's a very good point.  

I guess I always tend to think that a new aircraft development contains a lot of complexity, whereas scenery is about a decent ground image, then modelled objects;  but I know, I know, I know, that's a crazy simplification!  ...... I guess just personally, I am more comfortable handing over money for aircraft than for sceneries.   £25 for an aircraft versus £25 for an airport.... know what I mean?

But then again, some aircraft addons are poor value for £25, and some scenery packages (like the huge PNG Bush Flying Package, from Pacific Island Simulations) are amazing value for money.

So I know my thoughts aren't exactly logical;  but generally, I'll hand over cash more willingly for airplanes than for scenery.

You only really need a couple of aircraft though. For example the PMDG NGX will keep you happy for years and years!!

It certainly has kept me happy for years! (still flying it almost 2 years on)... but not on it's own.  I prefer a hangar of nice options to go flying in.    I'm personally a bit of a 50/50 flyer between the complex IFR tubeliners, and just kicking the tyres and lighting the fires in a nice GA aircraft for some VFR or sightseeing.

So I need at least 2 aircraft; one of each! :lol:

Though I have alot of them Orbx Airports are pretty expensive for what they are. Don't get me wrong they are very very detailed but $30 for small ga Airports is alot when I can buy Fsdt klax or flytampa Dubai for $30Ish I just bought 4 fsdt airports for $120 but that included thief two newest Airports CYVR and KLAX and the older PHNL,and KLAS but overall scenery isn't really overpriced it takes alot of work to make all the objects and HD textures we all want now the more realism the higher the price. But like OP I'm forced to cherry pick

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Though I have alot of them Orbx Airports are pretty expensive for what they are. Don't get me wrong they are very very detailed but $30 for small ga Airports is alot when I can buy Fsdt klax or flytampa Dubai for $30Is

I concur.  Orbx airports are good. and I am sure each one of them is worthy of more than $100. But in the marketplace, when Fly Tampa gives us something like Kai Tak and Dubai for around $35, the expectation is different

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Some really valid points brought up in this thread, but indeed patience is a virtue. Not just with scenery either; there's often great sales on most other addons as well.

I generally find that as pretty as the big payware airports are, I can do without them when there happens to be a half-decent freeware scenery available, or at the least, a realistic afcad that gives me a good approximation of taxiways and parking.  I do have a few though, bought when on-sale. :lol:

I tend to skip out on the Orbx GA airports as well - I have the freeware ones on offer from them, and as pretty as they are, they are pretty demanding on the system. Considering that and the cost, I prefer to give them a miss. I find that the Orbx regions I have (PNW, PFJ, NRM, SAK) upgrade many of the default smaller airports to a very useable level anyways. Some of them are really quite good compared to FSX default.

For me, I would have to rank the importance of, and therefore value of, scenery as such:

Mesh, accurate roads & coastlines, landclass, textures, airports.

Therefore, payware addon airports tend to fall into last place - it's more important to me that I have accurate scenery to fly over, then tons of details while taxiing.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.